Feb 17, 2008

Sooooo.......

Eight weeks. That's how long it's been since I went to the hospital to get a beta methazone shot to strengthen my babies lungs and didn't leave the hospital for two weeks--the mother of two precious little twins--2 lbs 15 oz and 3 lbs 5 oz. The past six weeks have been quite the roller coaster ride. Most of the time I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe. A universe that has included multiple trips to the hospital, unbelievable stress, fear and worry and absolute awe. Awe over these two little precious beings whom (as you know) early only in the pregnancy we thought were going to have chromosome problems and possibly not even make it. And here they are--six weeks old tomorow-- and (at last weigh in) 5 lbs 4.5 oz and 4 lbs 8.5 oz. Their lungs are unbelievably strong and they love to use them. Especially when they are hungry or need their little-bitty diapers changed. They have piercing, beautiful eyes that love to explore their huge worlds. They have long, slender fingers that they love to use to express themselves. If it weren't for the fact that Emma is still smaller than Kate, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

They make the same little squeaky, grunty, baby noises; they make the same faces. Kate loves to sleep during the day and "play" at night. She wants to be held: all.the.time. Emma is more content to sleep in her bed and doesn't seem to have the need to be held constantly.

Kate has had some really, really bad diaper rash that looks horribly painful and raw but is getting better.

If I were going to sit here and write every feeling and every detail of what has gone on over the past six weeks, I would have to write a book, or at the very least a series.

Obviously it's been a challenge for me to get to the computer to do a post considering this is the first one I've done in six weeks. But my mom has done a good job on the updates. And I probably won't be able to do regular posts until I get back to work. It's just to hard to do them at home; our computer is very slow and to try to sit at a computer for 1/2 hour with 4 girls demanding my attention is pretty unrealistic.

Our current hurdle: Feisty appears to have the flu and my little ones have been at Grandma Dawn's since Friday afternoon in hopes to keep the babies from getting sick and ending up back in the hospital. I've been doing regular "visits" with them and I feel like they are back in the NICU and having visitations with them. It's pretty sad. For Feisty and for the twins. I'm afraid they are going to not know me and not bond with me.

Care Bear and Feisty are precious, amazing big sisters and such wonderful little helpers. They love the babies like they are their own babies. They truly help me so much and take such good care of them. It's hard to get them to leave them alone when they are sleeping. Those little baby girls are literally smothered in kisses almost every hour of the day.

So, here I am; mother of five.....it's going to be quite an adventure. Hope you'll come along for the ride!



23 comments:

Laura Paxton said...

I'm so glad that everyone came home healthy, and that the twins are growing so well! Prayers for a healthy Feisty and the babies coming home!

Unknown said...

It's so good to hear your own voice though I must say that I wouldn't blame you if you threw your computer out the window for the next twelve years. Or more.

Your strength and determination has been nothing short of incredible and I'm so proud of you. Love and kisses to your little prince and FOUR princesses and especially to you, cousin.

ps: try putting some of that Lansinoh lanolin that you use for breastfeeding pain on Kate's little bum. It's the magic serum.

Linda said...

It's so nice to hear from you again Kristen. It has been a long six weeks. We are all so thrilled for you. The tiny girls are just precious.
Praying that Feisty gets well quickly and everyone else is spared the flu. And praying that you will make this big adjustment with His grace and strength.
Hugs to you!!

Tammy B said...

i agree, use the nipple cream on the rash, it works wonders! i know it's tough - and scary. having twins is tough enough, but with older sibs, it throws so much into the mix. you will be amazed though at how quickly it all becomes 2nd nature

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yay! Kristen put up a new post! ;o)

I know you probably are just now feeling like you can take a full breath after holding your breath for so long with the babies. I'm glad they're doing so well. I hope Feisty is better soon so the family can be reunited again.

Just a thought: sometimes severe diaper rash can be a reaction to iron if your girl is sensitive to it. We think Emmy may be allergic to iron in her formula so we're going to see about trying one without added iron. Emmy's bottom has been raw and we've tried every kind of diaper rash ointment and home remedy we can find.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Sherry said...

So fun to "hear" your voice again. Your babes are seriously adorable. I can see how it would be easy to not tell them apart. Hope Miss Feisty gets better soon. The crud has certainly made its rounds.

Blessed said...

The babies are adorable, I'm so glad they are healthy!

Anonymous said...

Sending HUGS! :o)

The best thing I ever used for Rosie's diaper rash was baby Goldbond powders.

Maine Mom said...

It's so nice to hear from you, Kristen. It's quite understandable why you haven't been around in the last 6 weeks! Your Mom has done a great job keeping us updated. Kate and Emma are adorable! I'm sorry to hear that Feisty is sick. How blessed you are to have your parents close by to help. Adjusting to one baby coming home is hard, I can't imagine the time and effort it takes to take care of two! I bet you are doing an amazing job.

nannykim said...

I can't imagine the stress!! My prayers are with you.

Midlife Mom said...

So nice to hear from you Kristen! Glad the babies are gaining and doing all the things they should be doing. So sorry Fiesty is sick, hope she gets over it soon. Yes, your Mom has done a wonderful job keeping us all updated with information and beautiful pictures. Take care and yes we want to go along for the ride, we've buckled our seat belts!!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the update. You have all been in my prayers and what a blessing to have them both home. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers until everyone is healthy.

Barb said...

You're mom's been doing a great job of keeping all of us in the loop, especially with all the adorable photos she's been posting, but it's awfully nice to hear from you again.

I imagine it's quite a shock to realize you suddenly have five children. But I don't doubt for a minute that those two adorable babies have brought a ton of happiness into your lives. And the timing is good because your two big girls really will be a huge help with the teenie ones.

It's nice to see you posting again.

Ms. Kathleen said...

I am just so happy for you! What precious angels and what blessed little helpers you have! Enjoy each second, time goes so quickly! Hugs!

Mimi said...

what a wonderful blessing you were given by God...I will certainly enjoy keeping up with the "Awesome five"..as you get back to blogging...I keep up with the progress now on your mom's blog...
what does your son think of "all these girls"? ha ha

Mary said...

Kristen,

You are amazing and I'm so glad the girls are doing well. Don't worry, they will bond with you. You are just anxious and you've been through a lot. Get some rest if you can and go with the flow. I know that's easy to say, but it will be a lot easier on everyone. God is in control and is watching over you and your family.

Blessings,
Mary

groovyoldlady said...

:-) I've been praying for your whole family. Glad to to see/hear that you are finally all home and starting to adjust.

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Kristen:-) So wonderful to see a post from you...life certainly will be very busy for you from now on!! Or I should say "even busier" since I know you were busy even before the twins arrived! lol Your darling babies are so adorable and I'm so enjoying seeing pictures of them on your mom's blog. Take care of yourself and I look forward to the ride:-) xox

Sam said...

YAY, a new post from you! :-)

I'm so glad your babies are home and healthy. And how wonderful that your older girls are so helpful and loving to their new sisters.

What a beautiful family!

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear from you. Your mom has definitely been keeping us all posted and I'm glad for that. Keep us posted when you can, but make sure you feel no pressure.

Oh -- and for diaper rashes, try this: yogurt. Yup, you read right. Plain yogurt clears up a diaper rash (snap!) like that!

Rachelle said...

I'm so glad you are home and the girls are doing well. I am thrilled for you!

Diane Viere said...

Kristen....I'm so glad you posted. Thank you for dedicating precious time to send us an update...direct from you! Mother of five! How you have been blessed.

I've been keeping updated at your mom's blog---they are beautiful....BEAUTIFUL.....miracles!

Hope to hear from you again soon. But, in the meantime, know that we are all praying for you daily!

It must be exhausting and exhilarating!

Take care--Diane

Cheryl said...

Ahhh. They are so cute! And by the way congratulations!