Nov 29, 2008

Doing Better

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement when I was having my little "melt down". Not to minimize it....I was in a bad place at that time. Your comments made me feel not so alone.

Funny thing though....not too long after I wrote that post, somehow I just felt.....better. Not sure exactly what happened, but I quit worrying about things so much. A lot of the issues I was having at the time I published that post had more to do with former in-law issues than kid issues. I was expending a large amount of time trying to figure out where I fit in within this new and strange picture. Most of the time when couples divorce, the ex-husband and his family continue on, and the ex-wife and her family continue on. In my case, I continue on with both sides, but don't feel like I fit in so much with them anymore. But my children are still blood related to them. So I have felt a little awkward at times. I have some current issues with my former MIL that are still on-going, and I am not going to get into them. But somehow, I quit worrying about that, too. I just decided one day, "I don't know what these people think about me; I don't know how they feel about me, and quite honestly, I really don't care anymore. Like it or not, they will remain a part of my life because of my children and I might as well make the best of it." So I have. And since I made that decision, life has become significantly less stressful.

Don't get me wrong; I still have the on-going daily stress of raising four little girls on my own and a four year old who is still dealing with some major issues, but those issues are getting taken care of as well, and all I can do is leave her in God's hands and trust Him to take care of what I can't for her.

In summary: for now, I feel better. Still stressed, but much more relaxed about it, if that makes any sense. Not to say that I will never again have another melt down. Pretty much par for the course for someone in my current situation. But it sure does help to know that there are people out there that love me and are praying for me; even those that I have never met before. So thank you.

And now, for some adorable pictures from our very relaxing, enjoyable Thanksgiving.....

Care Bear's braids courtesy of Aunt Sema

Feisty's braids courtesy of Aunt Sema


Katie playing with Grandpa P's mustache

Care Bear's fancy letter to Santa. Yeah, I know....her real name. No mistake.

Quite honestly, I didn't feel like taking the time to block it out. I trust you all.

I can trust you all, right?!?!?!

Oh, and incidentally, since you now know the other 3 girls' names, it hardly seems fair to leave Feisty out. Her real name: Olivia, but she insists on being called "Livi". So, there you go. But just for the record, should I ever go public again, they will resume as Care Bear and Feisty. Those names are still extremely fitting.

12 comments:

Needled Mom said...

All new situations are foreign to us, Kristen, and it will take time to figure out the dimensions of your new life. As you said, they are blood related, but there is also a mother's protection mode that is stronger. I know that you will end up doing what is right because of the love for the girl's.

Cute pictures from Thanksgiving. The girls are darling and I bet they loved their braids. It is soooo "girlie." By the way, Olivia has always been one of my favorite names!

Enjoy December.

Linds said...

It will take time, but there is no point in getting stressed about it, so you are being very wise, Kristen. You have a great big heart, and in the end, it will work out well for all of you. Just be gentle with yourself.

I loved the photos - those little girls of yours are so sweet! Lovely to have an aunt to braid hair too!

nancygrayce said...

Having lived life as a single mother for a time, I know what you mean. It will all work out in time. I finally had to take the position that God was responsible for taking care of me and my children and no one else. He did! Oh, there are still problems and it is years later....but I'm friends with my ex mil now. Keep on keeping on! Or as I used to say.....fake it till you make it!

Nancy said...

I'm so glad you feel better... I think it must have been all of the prayers! God is good! I love the braids. Seem did a great job!

Have a great week!

Linda said...

The pictures are adorable Kristen. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. You are doing amazingly well. I think all of these things will work themselves out in time.
I pray you'll have some time to just enjoy this wonderful time of year - to just be able to spend time with those sweet girls.

Mary said...

Kristen,

I came over from you mother's blog and am glad I did. Such a delightful post. I love your new look. The silhouettes are beautiful.

I was a single mother for 17 years and it is HARD. I only had one daughter and that was hard enough. I can't imagine having four. I continue to pray for you and your family.

Blessings,
Mary

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are feeling more at peace with things and that you had a nice Thanksgiving.

What fun to learn all of your girls' names! All of the names are beautiful. :-)

Merry Christmas season! I'm glad you have your girls and your family there to celebrate with you.

jmckemie said...

Kristen still praying for you all and I am so glad you are feeling better. God does use the prayers of the faihtful to lift us up...even when we do not know who is praying.
The girls braids are adorable. How blessed they are to have such a talented aunt at their disposal!!
BTW - Happy Birthday (soon!)

Midlife Mom said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better Kristen! I know at times things must feel just overwhelming but you are strong and you will make it! You have many friends out here in cyberspace that care about you and your beautiful girls, we may never meet in this life but we still care and will continue to hold you up in prayer!

The pictures are so good also the letter that Hayley wrote! What a hoot, I love it!

Take care Kristen and enjoy this season with your family!! xoxo

Dawn said...

Okay - this is weird. I just went and commented on Julie's post and it came up as you! What's up with that??

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I'm glad you've cut yourself some slack and are doing better.

I already knew the girls' names from emailing with your Mom and would never mention them outside your blog or email. I try to respect the privacy of those who are cautious on the 'net, and with good reason.

Hope you have a great Christmas this year. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Kristen:-)

Finally taking the time to do some visiting...love your new blog look!! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling less stressed out about the in-law situation. As you say, they'll think what they want and there's nothing you can do about it so why worry about it:-) You're a strong woman and a terrific mom and although I can't even imagine how hard it must be raising 4 little girls, as well as holding down a job and taking a course, you're doing it:-) Love the girls' real names but they'll always be Care Bear and Feisty to me!! hehe xoxo