Nov 4, 2008

My Moral Soapbox

My mom asked me the other day when I was going to do a new post. My response was that I have nothing that I want to write about. Life has taken a few unexpected and unpleasant turns for me and my girls lately and pardon me if I don't feel like depressing my few readers. I had contemplated coming on here and complaining; giving another "poor me" saga. But you don't need to hear it, and I don't need to dwell on it anymore than I have. Time to move forward and past the negativity. So, I will interrupt that thought process and get onto my moral soapbox, which is very a-typical of me, but what the hey......nothing in my life is typical anymore, so therefore, I will not be either.





America has a new President. Barack Obama.....history in the making. Extremely disturbing to me.

Colorado had an amendment on the ballot this election: Amendment 48. An amendment to the Colorado constitution defining the term "person" to include any human being from the moment of fertilization as "person" is used in those provisions of the Colorado constitution relating to inalienable rights, equality of justice, and due process of law.


Colorado, the state I love....the state I call home.....shot down this amendment. What a blow. I was hopeful with this amendment....hopeful that our future included finally recognizing that a baby in utero is a human even before it has a heartbeat.

I was holding my precious daughter Katie the other day....watching her move, smile, look around as she discovered her world and I thought about that amendment. That little girl (who is much more a little girl than baby now), was my little girl from the moment she was conceived. I believe that with my whole heart. As is her twin sister, Emma.

Throughout my pregnancy with the twins, I struggled with the knowledge that my little girls could be born with genetic defects. That in all probability, Katie was going to be born with a defect that would render her severely deformed and she could quite possibly not live beyond a week of delivery. I was told that Emma could also face that possibility; if she even made it to birth. I was given the option of "terminating" the pregnancy. Is this something I want? The doctor asked me many times. My unequivocal answer every time was "NO." Those are living, breathing, human beings growing inside of me and regardless of the potential problems they may or may not have, they have the right to life. I am not God. It is not up to me to choose if they live or die.


And thank the Lord I made that choice. Because if I had made the opposite choice, I would not have the precious, wonderful and amazing little girls who have overcome so many obstacles in their paths. And even if they weren't as healthy as they are, I would have loved them just the same.



This amendment was deeply personal to me; and I was holding out hope that the state I love, the state I call home, would share those feelings with me. But apparently not. Apparently we are not human until we are born. Because from what I understand, partial birth abortion is on its way to becoming legal again.


These babies were once "embryos".....look at 'em now.....







Just my personal opinion, but that is worth saving......


GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!





8 comments:

Dawn said...

I was hoping you would write this. We are heading down a slippery slope as a nation. Thse sweet little girls represent so much!

Amy said...

Hope things pick up for you and your girls soon.

nancygrayce said...

God bless you, Kristen. I pray often for you and your family. I am very disturbed about this election too!

Unknown said...

I agree, too.

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful post, Kristen. Those of us who are so pro-life can become so discouraged with laws that are passed. We must always remember that it is neither right nor moral - only legal.

To legally give one person (the mother) a choice and deny another (the baby) is completely wrong. Our ultimate judge will not care about our earthly laws.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

What a beautiful post and of course, the girls, all of them, are amazing!

Nancy said...

What a special tribute to your miracle babies... and my prayers will continue for them and for our country.

Unknown said...

I believe a person starts at conception, too. It's sad that so many people don't agree. Your girls are so precious. I'm glad you are one of the believers. :-)