Jul 5, 2007

Best 4th of July EVAH!

This was a really nice 4th of July this year. The past couple of years we have met my in-laws at the local park and spent the entire day there which I decided just was not.going.to.happen. this year. Too long and too tiring and too hot. So, this year, we didn’t really have a plan. Which I liked.

The morning we just hung out at home. I cleaned some, the kids watched some of the “Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends” marathon on Cartoon Network (the only Cartoon Network show I allow in my house), they swam in their pool, made mud puddles in the grass and just had fun playing together. At around noon or so, we figured maybe we should get some sort of plan in order. We decided to go north to College Town this year instead of muddling through the crowds at our local park. It was a good decision in my opinion. The park here had a live band playing, several food booths, face painting booths, the ever-present political booths that show up at any city-wide event, booths selling stuff (of course), jumping castles, one of those humongous blow up slides (I’m not sure how else to describe it), a petting zoo, etc…..We got hot dogs, sno-cones, lots of water and pop and the kids had a great time.

After that we went home, relaxed a little, got some pizza then pushed the girls in the double stroller and walked to the park for the fireworks. Mike’s dad plays in the local band and they always do a concert right before the fireworks start so we watched that. For the first time in I don’t know how long, it started to rain right before the fireworks were to start. I couldn’t believe the amount of people who started packing up and leaving over a little rain. It wasn’t a downpour, or even a heavy rain. There was no hail. But whatever. Made it less crowded for us.

We were a little concerned about how Miss Feisty was going to handle the fireworks this year. Everytime anyone has shot off their own fireworks in the neighborhood this past week she has been freaking out. I was just envisioning myself having to leave the festivities and take her home, but I need not worry after all. She loved them. She loved the concert and pretended like she was conducting the band. She clapped and boogied along to all the music. She tried to catch the fireworks when they were in the sky. It was a great time. For your viewing pleasure…..

4th of july 1 (Small)
Settling in on the blankets.
4th of july cool girl (Small)
She’s channeling someone here….not sure who though.
4th of july high in the sky 2 (Small)
Trying to reach the fireworks.
4th of july high in the sky hp (Small)
And the big girl had to get in on the action, too, of course…
4th of july mommy and baby (Small)
Feisty was very generous with her hugs from behind last night.
4th of july smiling girl (Small)
Pay no attention to the un-lady like pose here and just look at the cute smile and shades……
4th of july watching fireworks 2 (Small)
Cozied up watching the show…
4th of july watching fireworks (Small)
Me and my big girl…

Unfortunately, I didn’t get any fun shots from earlier in the day. The girls fell asleep in their stroller on the way home. Mike, Anakin and I shot a few fireworks out in the street but decided to do the majority of them tonight so that the girls can enjoy them, too.


As I was sitting out on my front step while Mike put Anakin to bed, I heard a rustling noise. I assumed it was neighborhood cats. Imagine my utter panic when two huge skunks rounded the corner and were within mere feet of me and waddling my direction. I very carefully and quietly stood up opened the door and flew in my house. Wanna hear more about the skunks? Go visit my Mom today.


Hope your holiday was as enjoyable and relaxing as mine.

No comments: