Apr 4, 2008

Never Thought I'd See This Day Come....

(psssst.....this post has *almost* nothing to do with all my little darlin's.....hope that's OK!)

So, here I am at work, browsing through my favorite celebrity gossip magazine websites, which I am so far behind on it's not even funny (you know me and my celebrity gossip) when I came across a little morsel on People.com that just about knocked me off my chair. (That wouldn't have been very funny today either since I'm wearing a skirt).

If you were a teeny-bopper back in the late 80's/early 90's (or were a mother of a teeny-bopper in the late 80s/early 90s) you may recall a little boy band called "New Kids on the Block". C'mon admit it; you know who they are. Suffice it to say, I was a little obsessed with this small phenomenon. In fact, I am personally responsible for turning a couple of my cousins into "blockheads", too. They shall remain nameless, but you both read my blog and you know who you are!

My walls in my room were literally wall-to-wall, ceiling to floor posters of these boys. Jordan was my obsession and I was thoroughly convinced I was going to marry him. My BFF (who I haven't seen since high school graduation) was going to marry Joe and we were going to live happily ever after in Boston with our boys and have beautiful children.

In fact, I was so obsessed that I about lost any and all driving priveledges for my entire life (and could have ended up in juvy had I gone through with it) due to a little escapade one of my cousins and I almost pulled off one summer. (go read that post....no really.....do it. You won't grasp the full concept of the obsession unless you do!)

As time went on and the "kids" all but disappeared out of sight and out of mind, the obsession obviously fizzled. Of course, it's fun to hear what they are up to every now and then. Donnie has been in several movies, Jordan has put out a couple of solo albums and appeared (pathetically) on "The Surreal Life", Joey has also put out a couple of albums and appeared on "Dancing With The Stars". No idea what Danny has been up to, and Jon all but left the entertainment industry to sell real-estate. Huh. Any-hoooooo.....imagine my utter shock and total surprise when I clicked on my fave magazine's website and found this article (complete with video). To quote Feisty: "Oh.....my......word!" Never did I think this day would come. I mean.....they are almost all 40 years old! In fact, a couple of them might already be there.

In 30 minutes time, my mind has taken be back 18 years to when I first "fell in love" and I'm waxing major nostalgia. *sigh*......ahhh for the easy days of love-sick teenage obsession!!

What's wierder?! I have kids now.....right in time for this reunion. Care Bear is 5 going on 15---a "major fan" (in her words) of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus and I can completely see her following in her mama's footsteps. I sure hope I still have all my old posters still saved in my parents' basement so that they can now adorn her walls. (hahaha).

This makes me feel real old....yet real young at the same time. How fun!!!

NKOTB Then....

NKOTB NOW.....

8 comments:

Dawn said...

It wasn't only posters! It was every little tiny picture cut out of every celeb mag out at that time. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of your room at that time. Too funny.

From a little girl to a teeny-bopper caring about hair, make-up, music overnight was quite a shock to this mom. But they were nice guys at least.

Unknown said...

I saw that in the newspaper this morning, too. I thought to myself, "If they come within any reasonable proximity to us, Kristen and I will have to find a way to go see them."

And yes, I am serious.

ps- I have pictures of the bedroom.

Kristen said...

I'll be there, Karen! You know I will!

Send the pics my way!! :-)

Kristi Harrison said...

I wasn't a fan back in the day...but I'm all up on that 2008 version.

Unknown said...

You sound a lot like one of my good friends. She was OBSESSED with the group and I think it was Joey she was obsessed with the most. You sure are bringing back memories here!

Simply Heart And Home said...

They were a bit after my time. :) It is nice to see them back together again.

Have a good day

Gina

Andrea said...

I wasn't a hard-core fan, but I sure remember them!!

Wow, they look so stylish now. Well, I suppose they were pretty hip back then too. Funny how EVERYTHING from when we were younger seems to be coming back 'in' (cabbage patch dolls, my little pony, and now NKOTB)

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Kristen:-)

What a fun post! It made me remember all the swooning I did over David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman! lol I heard on the news the other day that the NKOTB were getting back together for a tour...hard to believe they're all either 40 or near it. Gosh, they've almost caught up to me in age now! hehe I read about your escapade story...omigosh, how funny. To be young and so full of plans again! lol Hope the girls are all doing well and that mama is managing to get some rest:-) xox