Oct 20, 2006

I'm Being Honored

Honored at my job for ten years of brutal service. Just me. No one else...

OK, so I'm not the only one being honored. I'm probably among a couple hundred others, but regardless......

I had a piece of mail in my mailbox this morning when I got to work. I was going to scan it and post it here, but thought that the words might appear too small and you wouldn't be able to read it, so I'm just going to type it out.

October 13, 2006

Dear Kristen:

On the occasion of your 10 years of service to **** **** University, I am pleased to extend a sincere thank you for your fine work and commitment to this institution. The members of the **** **** University Activities Board join me in inviting you to participate in the Celebrating Service Milestons event on Thursday, November 9, 2006. All three employee groups will come together in this recognition event. An invitation will be sent to our campus community.

3:00 Awards Ceremony
4:00 All-University Reception
To recognize your years of service, you will receive a special pin upon arrival. This memento signifies our appreciation for your dedicated service to **** **** University. Your name will be published at the event. Following the ceremony is a reception in honor of you and your fellow honorees. There will be a photographer available to take a complimentary photo of you and your spouse or guest during the reception.
It is my pleasure to invite you and your family and friends to be our guests for these events. Please respond to (email address here) by October 31 to let us know whether or not you will be able to attend. If you have any questions please contact ************.
Thank you for your fine work and dedication to **** **** University. We look forward to seeing you on November 9!
Sincerely,
(President of the University)

When I started this job nearly ten years ago (ten years in January), little did I know that ten years later, I'd still be here. It's not a bad job. The benefits are good, the pay is reasonable, and they work with my schedule....I just thought by the time I was 31 years old I would be working my dream job. Maybe that dream job will never come; if not, retiring from here won't be too bad. If I'm here 25 years, I can retire with 75% of my wages.....by the time my girls graduate from high school I could be done working.....if I stick around. We'll see where life takes me in the next 15 years.

And did you see that? I get my name in the publication. I'll be famous again! Hey, it's better being famous for that than famous for this!

Have a superb weekend y'all!

13 comments:

Pamela said...

Kristen, congratulations on 10 years! Enjoy the much deserved recognition with family and friends...very nice!
Had to reread you cute Hot Chocolate story...that is so funny! :)

Dawn said...

It hardly seems possible. I hope you make it 15 more!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your honor! What is a "dream job" really?

Dawn said...

That was what I was thinking today, too. I think in this day and age a dream job is one that is willing to work with your needs, pays you decently, and you don't hate to go to every day!

Linda said...

Congratulations!! I'm sure you do a great job. Perhaps when it is all said and done you will fine, as I have, that your dream job is being just exactly who you are to your family. I love it.
Have a great weekend.

someone else said...

It's hard to believe that much time has gone by. Congratulations!!

mouse said...

Congratulations to you, 10 years that is a long time to be loyal to a job. Doesn't happen so often these days.

Kelli said...

Congraulations!! 10 years is a wonderful accomplishment!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

That is great. Congrats!!

kpjara said...

Congratulations! I'm right there with you in the quest for the "dream job"...but at least we know our destiny is greater!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I think it shows good character when you can stick with something for a long period of time...even if it's not exactly what you'd like to be doing :-)

Sherry said...

Good work! Congrats!

Lala's world said...

that is really neat! congrats!!