Oct 17, 2006

Plura-WHAT?

No, not "Plura-What", said the doctor. "Pleurisy". Oh, OK. That is so much clearer. In laymen's terms, Pleurisy is swelling (inflammation) of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest wall. And that is the latest illness afflicting me. Remember Mr. Nasty Cold Germ Man and the subsequent Mr. Nasty Flu Germ Man? Well, they never seem to have gone completely away and the past weekend they really got me down. For awhile now, I've had this dull but ever present pain that goes from the front of my chest through to the back of the chest; it hasn't been painful enough for me to go into panic mode, but annoying nonetheless. However, when over the weekend I began to feel as though I was suffocating and that I wanted to throw up when the slightest morsel of anything (even air) went through my throat, I figured I might need to get it checked out.

I had the hubby take me to Urgent Care last evening and after 2.5 hours there, two X-rays, an EKG and making me blow into this blow-thingy, they determined it was "Pleurisy". The word (which sounded to me like some kind of nasty bug I'd find on the bottom of my shoe) was intimidating and shot me into panic mode when I envisioned myself once again (like I was 4 years ago when I was inflicted with pneumonia and spent two...yes two...entire weeks in the hospital), laying in a hospital bed with wires, tubes and bleeping sounds around me. Not remembering from one minute to the next what was going on because I was so drugged up. The doctor must have seen the sheer look of panic on my face because she assured me very quickly that it isn't serious and most likely due to a "former illness" I may have had that caused irritation and inflammation in the lining of my lungs. Most likely that nice case of pneumonia and probably festered by Mr. Nasty. Thanks a lot. So, now, I am on a steroid (to bring down the inflammation) , an antiobiotic (to ward off any other Mr. Nasty's who may want to invade me), and an inhaler (to open my bronchial airways so I don't feel like I'm suffocating....cuz that's really not a fun feeling y'all.)

She told me that within 3-5 days, I should feel better....and if not, go to the E.R. Cool. As long as I don't spend the holidays in the hospital, or die and leave my kids motherless....I'm all good.

Oh, and by the by, it's snowing mad-crazy here today. Brooke posted a nice picture of what our neck of the woods look like today. Cool. No, COLD. Glad I saved that last fire log for tonight and didn't use it this morning....even though I wanted to so badly while I was drinking my coffee and folding laundry.


fire log

(Yes, I am lazy, folks!)

And one last thought: I just discovered I've been tagged for two memes. I'll get to those tomorrow! :-) Thanks!

12 comments:

brooke said...

Yuck! You have some serious bad luck when it comes to illnesses. I'll be thinking positive thoughts that this will not last very long. They say it's susposed to keep snowing (down here at least) until tomorrow morning. Fun!

Kelli said...

Yikes! That sounds like one nasty cold!! Stay warm inside (I can't believe it's snowing already!) and I hope you get better quickly!
Kelli

Lei said...

Hugs...take care of yourself!

And I've tagged you! :)

someone else said...

Well, bummer and double bummer. I sure hope you get well soon!!

Barb said...

I'm glad they told you it isn't serious, but I do know that pleurisy is painful. I'm sure it doesn't come close to being as awful as being in the hospital for two weeks with pneumonia but still, I hope you get over it soon and feel better.

Snow. Oh, I wish this rain would turn into snow. Just needs to get a wee bit colder. I love snow. And I envy you your fireplace and your ready-made log!

Anonymous said...

Steroids, huh? Not fun. Hope you feel better soon.

Carole Burant said...

Oh no, poor you! I do hope you start feeling better reallll soon! My youngest son had pneumonia when he was younger and I remember how much he'd panic at not being able to breathe. Pleurisy is even worse:-( Take good care of yourself and before you know it you'll be 100%:-) We had snow the other day...just rain today...ugh!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Snow already? Take care of yourself and here is wishing yo a speedy recovery!

Sherry said...

I have a friend who had that...I'm glad its not serious, just a HUGE nuisance. Good luck and I hope you feel much better very soon! I'm jealous about the snow!

Diane Viere said...

Oh my goodness! Kristen, take good care of yourself! This thing has gone on way too long. I'll be praying for you....and your lungs!

Diane

kpjara said...

My mom had pleurisy and it hung on for months...though much less severe after the first few weeks. It caused a lot of chest and back pain and the coughing was unbelievable!

I'll be praying fervently for this one...you don't want or NEED that crud!

mouse said...

I use to get pleurisy every year, (crummy lungs I have). Anyway I haven't gotten it in about 8 years now. They use to give you pain pills or muscle relaxers to help with the pain. Also I always found a heating pad around my ribs seemed to make me feel better. Hope you get better really soon.