Oct 27, 2006

The Return of The Award

Morning Glory tagged me for the "Refrigerator Meme", so I put that up over on my blog meme: Mama's Memes. Check it out if you're so inclined. :-)

Does anyone remember an award that I used to give out? An award I said that I would give out every Friday after trying a new recipe submitted by one of you wonderful readers out there? I called it something like, "I Helped Kristen Cook Award"? Is that ringing a bell to anyone? For any of you out there who are new to my blog, I'll give a little background. I am no Martha Stewart. I am no Betty Crocker. I dread dinner time every day because I face the dilemna of what to cook for my unbelievably picky family of eaters. Awhile back, I asked my readers to start submitting recipes to me to assist me in my cooking woes. I received many great recipes and decided that on Fridays, I would hand out a little, albeit "cheesy", award for recognition in helping me cook. And then I got lazy. People quit submitting. I ran out of ideas....again.

Awhile back, a blogger named Code Yellow Mom submitted a recipe to me in my comments. And this weekend we tried it and it was delicioso! A hit with all the family (except for Care Bear who would exist solely on peanut butter and cheese if she had the choice). So, I am bringing back the award this week to recognize Code Yellow Mom for her fabulous contribution. If anyone is interested in contributing to this cause, feel free to submit a recipe in my comments, or by emailing me; my address is in the sidebar. So, without further ado, the return of the "I HELPED KRISTEN COOK AWARD".


I Helped Kristen Cook

Awarded to:

Code Yellow Mom

And here is her recipe:

PORK AND PEPPER STEW

2 lbs. lean boneless pork loin (or roast)
1 large onion
2 large red bell peppers
1 clove garlic
1 lb. small new white potatoes
2 Tbs. parsley
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 tsp. basil

Cube the meat. Heat the oil in a dutch oven. Add the pork, and garlic and saute until pork is lightly browned on all sides. Chop the onion, add it to the pot. Chop the peppers and add. Saute until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes (undrained), parsley and basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the pork is tender, about 20 minutes. Seriously hearty and delish. Hope you like it!(I'm waiting until it's cool enough to make it here.) Oh - and I like to do Rhodes frozen rolls with it and sometimes a salad if I feel like chopping more veggies. :)

Oh - the potatoes go in right after the peppers. Cook all that for five minutes before you add the tomatoes.

It was so yummy! I highly recommend it! Thanks Code Yellow Mom!

Care Bear Prayer

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for the snow today! I got to play with Blondie 1* in the snow today and it was a lot of fun; except then my hands got really cold and I had to come inside and take a warm bath to get warm again. But it's OK because Blondie 1 said she was going to make me something really cool.
Please help Micah** to get better. Mommy told me he's sick and I want him to get better because I want to meet him someday.
Amen.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to ask you about my dreams. Please help me not to have bad dreams. I love you.

*Blondie 1 is Care Bear's best buddy in the neighborhood.
**Micah is a little boy that Grandma Dawn told us about the other day that has an urgent prayer need. Please click on the link if you are interested in praying for this little guy.


13 comments:

someone else said...

I think I might have to try that recipe. It sounds yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you! This makes a lot, but I've got 5 kids, and leftovers are yummy!

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
3 cups of uncooked rice
2-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese depending on how cheesy you like things (I use a cheddar/monterey jack mix)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 15oz jar of your favorite salsa (I buy the huge jar at costco and use half, but it only comes in medium there and may be a little spicy for kids tastes.)

Cook the rice according to directions, mix together the soups and the salsa, then in a 9x13 baking dish, layer rice, chicken, salsa mix, then cheese, rice, chicken, salsa mix and cheese. Pop it in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your satisfaction.

Serve with a salad and tortilla chips. Every child I have ever served this to has loved it.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, the beauty part of it is if you have less chicken, that's ok - shredding it makes it go far. It's a good way to stretch things.

kpjara said...

Yeah! The recipes (and subsequent award) are back! I love this little 'segment'. I love the prayers too! Keep em' both coming!

Lala's world said...

hmmm I will have to try that sometime... I love getting new recipe's too

Dawn said...

Love, love, love those prayers!! And the stew was so yummy! We had it all together. We even made some rice to put it on, as my Africa DIL likes to do. Yummy!!

Pamela said...

The Pork and Pepper Stew recipe looks great! I copied and saved it in Word. Thanks Kristen!

Love Care Bear's prayers...so very sweet of you to share, it is just adorable. : I will pray that she continues to have good dreams and I will continue to pray for Michah

Unknown said...

I will give you something better than a recipe. I'll give you a blogsite! :o) Every Friday, several of us post quick and easy recipes (used to be 5 ingredient). There has been some really good recipes popping up there. http://overwhelmedwithjoy.blogspot.com/

Nancy said...

I am not much of a cook but this is a great idea. I loved the prayer. Kids are such a blessing in life.

Anonymous said...

it is so cute that she prays about her dreams so much. i did that as a child and still to this day pray for sweet dreams for me and my daughter :)

here's a recipe (with a lot of "ish") to try:
enough boneless/skinless chicken breasts for your family
1c (ish) of cheese
crescent rolls (enough for each piece of chicken to have 1--or 2 if they are big pieces)
cream of chicken soup
chicken broth (or water)

(i use boneless/skinless breast strips and this seems to work better)

wrap each strip with one crescent roll triangle and lay in a greased (or spray pammed) 9x13 dish. combine cream of chicken soup, broth, and 1c (ish) of cheese in a separate bowl. heat enough to melt the cheese and pour over the chicken/crescent rolls. bake on 350 until the chicken is done and the crescent rolls are browned and enjoy (20ish minutes). yumm!

Linda said...

I'm so glad you're asking for recipes. I too am no Betty Crocker, and I'm so lazy about cooking. I just don't like it much. But we are desperately in need of a little change - so I'll check your blog on fridays for sure to see if there's anything I'd like to try. I keep saying I'm going to try new ones and then end up doing the same old thing. Just plain lazy!

mouse said...

The Pork and Pepper Stew sound pretty good. How many do you think it would feed? I am trying to decide if I can make this amount or if I should double the recipe. Have a great Halloween.

Unknown said...

Here is one of my favorite recipes:
Chicken Casserole
4 good sized chicken breasts (I use thighs)
2 tubes Ritz crackers
1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese (I use monterey jack)
1 egg
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pt. sour cream
1 cube butter
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Beat the egg in a bowl. Finely crumble crackers and cheese together. Dip chicken in egg wash, then cover in cracker mix. Place chicken in 9x13 inch baking pan. Melt butter. Mix butter, sour cream, and soup together. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve over rice. My husband always gives this meal a D...for delicious!