Jan 4, 2008

Slight Change of Plans

I had my ultra sound today. It took over two hours. In the end, I found out that the bigger baby is 3 lbs 15 oz and the little baby is 2 lbs. 15 oz. (Care Bear says that the "big" baby is hers since she's bigger, therefore according to her, big baby is Kate and the littler baby is Feisty's...or Emma).

Kate is actually right on target. Totally normal size for her gestation. Emma is pretty little, but according to all her tests, just as healthy as can be. I'm tempted to call her "Feisty: The Sequel" because I'm thoroughly convinced that the reason she is smaller than Kate is solely because of how much aerobics she does in there. That child never sits still!! In fact, she's in breech position--again! Good grief.

My doctor called me within a few hour of the ultra sound and since Emma didn't quite hit the target weight for normal delivery, I will be having a C-section. But now that she's breech again, that may have happened anyway.

I took a tour of the NICU just a little bit ago. They gave me two little handkerchiefs to put on so that when I'm not with the babies, they will have my scent with them and have me near them. *s0b*. This is the poem that's on the bag that the hankerchiefs are in:

I Love You Mommy
We have a bond
That began months ago
I love you so much
This I know
When we are together
Wear this close to your heart
So when you're away
We are never apart
When you have to go
Leave this with me
I'll feel safe with you near
You will see
Until we're together again
You will always be close
You are the Mommy
That I love the most

The NICU is as homey as it can possibly be with very comfy looking chairs and roomy areas for visitors.

I had a visit tonight from a nurse practitioner from the NICU who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout delivery and beyond. Tonight a neo-natal pediatrician is supposed to be coming by to talk to me. I feel confident that my babies are in good hands. And of course the great physician will be present through it all.

The C-section will be taking place Monday, the 7th at 12:30 p.m. I'm not completely sure why they changed the date, but I just do what they tell me to do. So, not Sunday.....Monday. At 12:30.

Thank you so much for all your kind comments, thoughts and prayers. I feel covered from all corners of the country and even other parts of the world! I couldn't ask for better friends!

20 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, my word! Just what I needed at the end of this emotional day - that poem! Did you meet Donette??

Andrea said...

Well, I know who I will be praying for at 12:30 on Monday.....

I'll be checking your mom's blog for updates after that, since I'm sure it will be a few days after they're born before you'll be posting.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I just came from Dawn's blog and already got most of the news from there. I'm still praying, Kristen.

God bless you all,

Diane

Barb said...

I'm sure we can all count on your mom to keep us posted after the babies are born.

You and Emma and Kate are in my thoughts and prayers. The handkerchiefs and the poem are very moving. I've never heard of that before. What a wonderful idea.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

The babies are coming!?!?! How does time pass so quickly?!?

I am soooooo thrilled for you! And I totally understand your stress about not being ready. I was totally not ready either and Oivia coming early didn't help. But she was only two weeks early NOT two months!!!

That poem is a tear jerker alright!

We will be praying and posting...

Karen H. said...

Good Moring Kristen,
Wow, I am so excited for you. I loved the Poem and the idea of the Handkerchiefs. I have never heard of that before. I know the "GREAT PHYSICIAN" will be there with you thru it all. He's there now and will still be there after it's over. We are still praying for everyone. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Ms. Kathleen said...

You are so much in my prayers. I spent two weeks in NICU with my last child, not because he was tiny (he was 11 lbs!) but because he got an infection of some sort and a fever but he is PERFECTLY normal and is now 16. He was C-section as well. I thought the treatment in NICU was exceptional. We went to a "reunion" one year and Joey got to see where he spent the first 2 weeks of his life. I was in a bed right down the hall- almost a luxury suite really. God Bless! I can't wait to see photos of your two blessings from above!

someone else said...

Don't be fearful of the C-section. I've had two, and it's not bad at all. Just a little slower recovery.

Good luck - we'll be anxious to hear on Monday.

BTW, I love the chosen names!!

Linda said...

You are all indeed covered in prayer. I love the idea of the handkerchiefs - and the poem is beautiful.
It is getting exciting Kristen. Get some good rest - we are praying for you.

Carole Burant said...

Now that poem got me all teary...sniff...pass me a tissue please! Oh Kristen, you and the babies certainly are in good hands. I will be saying extra prayers on Monday and will look forward to hearing from your mom how everything went. I can't wait to become a "blogging aunt" again! hehe xoxo

Andrea said...

How exciting!! I read your blog entry when you first thought your twin(s) were not going to make it...and I have thought about you off and on over the past months! Weird, I know since we've never met, and this is the first and only time I've ever left a comment on your blog (so far! :) ) Maybe it's because I DREAM of having twins one day...and I love seeing other twin stories! But I just had to say how EXCITED I am that your baby girls are healthy! Now I will definitely be thinking and praying for you all on Monday!!

Kelli said...

Praying for each moment to be what it needs to be ... hugs across the miles !

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

Kristen - I don't know if you remember me, but I'm karen's friend from Junior High and we hung out when you'd come to town. I just reconnected with her and saw that you are having twins in like 2 days. Good luck and I'll be praying for you! Congrats!!!
- Amy

Fresh Girl said...

Monday at 12:30...that's just the time my little brother was delivered as a preemie almost 29 years ago. He's a big healthy husband and father now. ;) I'll be thinking of and praying for you and those sweet babies tomorrow.

Can you ask the doctor to play Clay in the operating room? Might help keep you relaxed! ;)

nancygrayce said...

We're praying for you and your babies! God has it under control!

Wil's Wheels said...

Praying, praying and praying some more for the health and well-being of you and your babies. May God continue to bless and watch over you all.

Shera said...

I'm praying and will continue to do so for you and your precious twosome!

The one peice of advice (Ok, two) I would give you about the NICU is to be confident as their mom (you DO know what you're doing) and keep a journal . . . little bits here and there, daily weights, progress, etc.

Blessings,
Shera

Baba said...

Good morning Kristen,Tomorrow is your big day... how exciting for you and your family to meet Emma and Kate....It sounds like you will be having a loving second family in the NICU...Bless all of them who will be taking care of you and the girls..I will keep checking with your mom to get the good news on Monday.
Hugs, Baba

Anonymous said...

This post so touches my heart...

Rosie spent her first 6 weeks in the NICU... Nothing can really prepare you for that. I thank God every day for being there with us.

Praying.

Unknown said...

Constant prayers and love are with you and your baby girls, Kristen.