Nov 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm sitting here at work, looking at the beautiful, wintery scene outside my window. Just in time for the first "winter" holiday; just in time for putting up Christmas decorations; and just in time to host our families 3rd annual "Polar Express" viewing night, we have snow. It could not be more perfect, in my opinion. The only thing that would make it more perfect right now, for me, would to be snuggling at home with the rest of my family....and the rest of the world for that matter.....on the day before Thanksgiving, instead of here at work talking to people who are obsessing over their applications rather than getting ready for turkey day. Good grief.


My MIL is travelling here from North Dakota today. She is notorious for leaving later than she says she is going to, and getting later than her well-intentioned plan. Since her plan is to leave today, I'm concerned (especially with the weather) that she won't make it until well past turkey time tomorrow. Which is a problem, since she's bringing the turkey and the turkey roaster. And I'm hosting at my house this year. Yikes. We could be looking at the first ever "side dish only" Thanksgiving dinner. Woo-hoo! Luckily, if the worst should happen, I will have already eaten on Thanksgiving dinner at my Mom's house. I have to eat two every year. That's good this year. I do, after all, have two babies to feed. Speaking of which (and speaking of turkeys), this is how I feel right about now:


"I'm browned, basted and ready to be carved!! "

(10 points if you know what TV show that line comes from and extra bonus points if you can name the episode!)

I find it interesting the differing opinions on the current size of my mid-section. Some people look at me and can't resist telling me how huge I am; others look at me and inform me there is no way I could be carrying twins. To these folks I would like to say, "Well, then live in my shoes for day; once your 24 hours is up, tell me how much rest you got with two very active little girls in your belly kicking you non-stop and squeezing out your bladder every 20 minutes."

I will say that with this pregnancy it is all belly. With the other two I gained in my face, butt and everywhere else. Not this time. I truly look like I just took a basketball and strapped it onto my front. It's a very interesting look. Take a gander for yourself:

Kristen at 26 weeks

So, my guess is that the majority of you are going to comment and agree with the ones who say that there's no way I'm carrying twins. Let me say, however, that I still have 3 months left of this pregnancy. And then, let me tell you how big I did not get with either of my other two pregnancies. Here's some proof:



This is me at my baby shower for Care Bear. A mere two weeks before I gave birth. Note the face; the rear end, and the non-basket-ball appearance of my belly in this picture. And then note that indeed, I am larger in the belly area this time with three months to go.






And this is me nearing the end of my pregnancy with Feisty. (Not exactly sure on the timing). Same thing with the rear and the face. And the non-hugeness.

So, this is just me defending myself and my tendency to not be massively huge in my pregnancies. Not sure why I feel the need to defend myself, except to say that it drives me crazy when people have to continually give me their "expert" opinions on how large I should be at this point in my pregnancy. Everyone has to have their say.

I feel huge and I have quite a ways to go. Heartburn is setting in; Mylanta is a mainstay. Leg pain continues and life continues to move on at a way too rapid pace for me; especially considering how not ready I am yet for these babies to be here!

The dreams continue as well. The one I had last night had me giving birth to the twins. I was lucky enough to not have to have a C-section in the dream and they were born literally 30 seconds apart. One weighed 6 lbs 1 oz and one weighed 5 lbs 6 oz. They released me from the hospital two hours after they were born. I was bummed about that in my dream because I wanted to get some rest. (Not like anyone in a hospital having children ever gets any rest.) It'll be interesting to see how accurate my dream is (about the timing of the births and the birth weights....not the two hour stay. If that happens, they'll have to drag me out of that hospital kicking and screaming!)

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving is happy and wonderful and thankful. If you're travelling, travel safe; if you're cooking, try not to burn the turkey; and if you are lucky and just get to relax and enjoy the whole thing while someone else does all the work, well then.....I hope someone else makes you do the dishes.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Very clever, my dear. I can see what you were working on that was causing you problems. I am dying to know where the quote came from. Haven't a clue.

Hope Linda gets here soon with the turkey!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yes, ma'am, you are indeed large, especially to have 3 more months to go! Even if both babies only weigh around 6 lbs. each, that's still 12 lbs. of baby in there by the time you deliver! That's a big belly, I don't care how you're built. My sympathies, dear heart. It's been over 20 years since I was pregnant, but I well remember how I felt.

Hope the turkey and Linda get there sooner rather than later, and your Thanksgiving is filled with love, family, good food and blessings. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Sherry said...

excited for tomorrow!! You wanna borrow that sweater? I can lend it to you anyday:). Personally-I think you look great pregnant....with all three...or four kids:).

lifeinsuburbia said...

You look great! CAn't wait to see you guys on Saturday!

Unknown said...

How did you manage to stay so small during your first 2 pregnancies??? This time you've got a bigger belly, but at least you haven't gained anywhere else...something to be thankful for. :-) You look great!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary said...

Kristen,

You are going to be a fair size in three more months. However, you are beautiful. The main thing is that your babies are safe and sound.

I'm glad you didn't have to have a C-section in your last dream. And it will be interesting to see how closely your dream is to the weight of your babies when they arrive.

Thanksgiving blessings to you and your family.

Andrea said...

I believe that quote is from "Friends"...but the name of the episode escapes me right now.

Am I right?!?!

You look f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c by the way!!

Carole Burant said...

Monica said that line on Friends if I'm not mistaken! I was a die hard Friends fanatic! lol Yup, I say you're carrying bigger now with still 3 months to go than you did when you were almost due with your other pregnancies. May today and every day be blessed with simple, quiet moments of thanksgiving!! Happy Thanksgiving to my dear American friends from across the border:-) xoxo

Barb said...

Oh my goodness, Kristen. I just love the tummy photo. Because you and Krissy are due almost within days of each other, I see your tummy (and hers) and I just want to meet these babies!

I have to say, you tummy is bigger (a lot!) than hers, but my word, TWO babies.

You are so blessed.

I'm so, so excited for you.

Andrea said...

It came to me last night as I was trying to go to sleep...I agree with Pea that Monica said it AND, I think (maybe...??) that she said it on season 1 on the episode called "the one where underdog gets away"......maybe??

Unknown said...

I sympathize very much with the size related comments from the people around you. It's hard when you know they mean well but it still makes you feel like simultaneously crying AND becoming violent. I don't know why people don't just keep their mouths shut in regards to the appearance of others- pregnant or not.

I sent some stuff home with K&A today. Hope it helps with your feelings of preparedness.

Nancy said...

Kristen, I just love the pregnancy photo's. You look precious and I look so forward to the upcoming weeks. Keep us posted and get as much rest as you can!

Gina said...

I am interested in seeing if your dream comes true too. Aren't' dreams amazing? So vivid and packed with real emotion!