Aug 30, 2006

Happy Birthday my Darling Care Bear!!

Dear Care Bear,

Four years ago today....at 5:06 p.m. to be exact you graced your daddy and I with your presence. I can hardly believe you are a big four year old girl now!!

I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. The whole week prior to your birth, I had been fortunate enough to get a wretched case of the stomach flu. There wasn't a thing I could hold down, including Sprite, that entire week. I even had to miss our office's "Employee Appreciation" luncheon that week where I was being honored for five years of service to the University. Your Grandma Dawn had to bring me my roses that evening.

You were born on a Saturday. The Friday evening before your birth, your Daddy and I had gone to Wal-Mart to get a few things. It was three weeks before your due date. As I got out of the car I felt a very sharp pain in the lower region of my stomach. It was like a pain I had never felt before. I had been experiencing Braxon Hix contractions for several weeks, but that is not what this particular pain felt like. I had a strange feeling. I told your Daddy, "Wow. I hope she doesn't decide to come now. Not after having had the flu all week." I was just starting to feel better from the flu.

As the evening wore on, the pains began to come more frequently, and became more painful. I called your Grandma Dawn to ask her about when I was born and what the pains felt like. I told her I suspected I was in labor. She was skeptical; particularly since it was still three weeks from your due date. Eventually, I started asking your Daddy to time the contractions and the length of time between them. I took your new baby monitor up to my room so I could lay down and I would holler into the monitor every time I had a contraction so that Daddy could time them. Finally at about 11:00 p.m., I had Daddy call our doctor. She told him to go ahead and bring me into the hospital. After about four hours at the hospital, they sent me back home saying that I was progressing, however it was not yet time to be at the hospital.

The next morning at promptly 7:30 a.m. (and after only a few short hours of sleep), you woke me up with the worst contractions up to that time. I didn't wake your daddy, but instead went downstairs and devoured two bowls of cereal....the first real food I had eaten in a week. Luckily, I was scheduled for a regular check up for that morning. When we got to the doctor at 10 a.m., they brought me right in and checked me and I found out that I was 5 cm dilated and that it was time to get to the hospital. I was in shock, having just been sent home from the hospital a few short hours earlier. Being the somewhat unorganized person that I am, I hadn't even packed a bag yet for the hospital. After all, I still had 3 weeks to go! I was in no rush.

Your daddy and I decided that we would quickly go get something to eat and get me settled at the hospital and then he would go home and pack my bag for me. We went to Subway and got some of their breakfast sandwiches. To this day, when I drive by that Subway, I always remember that it was the last place I ate bfore you arrived and I remember feeling the joy, anticipation and fear I felt knowing that you would be with us in just a few short hours. (HOPEFULLY).

From the time I arrived at the hospital until the time you were born was a complete whirlwind. There was a constant flow of nurses and doctors; aunts and uncles, grandparents and great grandparents, and people eagerly awaiting your arrival. It was a very exciting time. I received my epidural at around 3:00 and at 5:06 you were finally here after only 12 minutes and 4 pushes (from the time I started to push). You came quickly. I think you were ready to get out into the real world after spending a week inside of me with that awful flu.

After you were born and they laid you on my chest, I looked down at you in complete awe and amazement. I couldn't beleive you were actually here and that I was a mother! It was almost too much to fathom.

You were a beautiful, tiny and perfect little girl. Five pounds eight ounces and only 17 3/4 inches, but healthy as can be. You looked like a little angel.

As I've watched you grow over the last four years, I am in constant amazement and awe of you. You are a brilliant, beautiful, sweet and caring little girl and I love you more every moment I get to spend with you. Watching you learn and grow and become an independent little person has given me so much joy and sense of pride. You are my little girl! Sometimes it still gives me chills when I hear the word "Mommy".

You are my first born child. You will always hold a very special place in Mommy's heart. I hope you know how very much I love you and how very proud I am to be your mom. I will always try to be the best mommy I can for you. I may make mistakes now and then (I probably already have), but I will always do my best....and I will always, always love you....no matter what!! I love you, sweetheart!

Love,
Your Mommy!
Care Bear's 1st Sunday wearing Mommy's First Sunday Dress

Hayley Sunday Best




12 comments:

Kristen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET CARE BEAR!! You have brightened our lives from that first breath. We were all there in the room, waiting for you to arrive. Great Grandma was so thrilled to be there for your birth - she'd never experienced such a thing before. You were such a little peanut, but have grown to be such an amazing little person. You surprise me every day with your insight and your ability to understand exactly what is going on. May you always do what God has in mind for you!

Grandma Dawn

Diane Viere said...

Kristen, What a great birthday gift to your little Care Bear...or should I say...Big Girl Care Bear! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your little sweetie!

As mother's--we are blessed, aren't we! We have the most amazing treasures.....we carried them inside our boides for 9 months....but they always remain in our hearts--forever!

I hope today is a very special day for Care Bear.....and your entire family!

Diane

kpjara said...

I love these stories! Thank you for sharing.

Ashley said...

how sweet!! i was induced and LOVED it but am also kind of jealous of the people who got to do the whole "going into labor" thing. maybe next time...or no, hopefully i'll just be induced. if it works, don't change it (although saying that--i just doomed myself for real labor)

Sherry said...

Happy Birthday Care Bear!! We miss seeing you all the time!!

brooke said...

Happy Birthday from your cousins Oliver and Charley!!

Unknown said...

I don't think I ever get tired of hearing other people's stories of their children's births. So much emotion and excitement in each one. Thanks for telling Care Bear's!

Happy Birthday, Sweetie!

Heather Smith said...

Such a sweet post! Happy Birthday to Little Care Bear!

Mall Worker said...

Happy Birthday Care Bear!!!!

Thanks for sharing her story, it was really sweet.

GiBee said...

Happy belated birthday, Carebear!

BlondeBrony said...

Happy Belated Birthday.
Thank you for sharing the moment with us.
I hope the day was filled with warmth and happiness.

Blackeyedsue said...

Happy Birthday baby!