Aug 8, 2006

Moments With Daddy

Last night, Feisty woke up in the middle of the night and didn't seem to be able to go back to sleep. That rarely happens. While she does occasionally wake up now and then still, she typically falls back asleep within moments. Last night was different. She seemed scared when she woke up. I think she may have had a bad dream. I tried to comfort her, hold her, lay next to her; none of my usual routines helped her get back to sleep last night. After what seemed like forever (close to an hour; which in the middle of the night is forever), Hubby asked what he could do to help. In the pitch dark, he could not see my eyeballs big as saucers and my jaw hitting the floor at the mere idea that he was offering to help me with a sleepless child in the middle of the night. It just.doesn't.happen. Never.

As it happens, Feisty was asking for Daddy. She wanted Daddy. Mama wasn't cuttin' it this time. (which is also a rarity.)

Hubby picked her up, cuddled her in the soft fuzzy blanket he got for her when she was born and sat in the dark in our rocking chair with her. Still somewhat shell-shocked at this turn of events, and rather comatose over the fact that my daughter dare want her daddy over her mama, I turned and laid back down in bed.

Every now and then I would hear Feisty say something to Daddy; her foot was stuck, the blankie wasn't covering her sufficiently. She was still having difficulty falling asleep. After a few more minutes passed, I heard my hubby start softly singing "You Are My Sunshine" to Feisty. Over and over and over again until a few more minutes passed and Feisty turned silent.

I couldn't help but smile and feel good inside my heart listening to this whole thing occur with Feisty and her Daddy. Apparently, she just needed Daddy this time. And Mama got to lay down in bed and go to sleep.

13 comments:

Dawn said...

That is too awesome!

Trisha said...

Good for you and Daddy too! It breaks your heart a little, though doesn't it?

mamashine said...

Oh, how sweet! And how nice that he offered on the night when she actually wanted him. Sometimes my husband wants to help, and my daughter wants only me.

Unknown said...

What a precious moment. Three cheers for daddies!

Sherry said...

that is too stinkin cute!

someone else said...

Magical!!

Tammy said...

I can so relate...sometimes I feel those pangs on the rare times one of them has wanted their daddy instead.
But other times it is a nice break...when my oldest was little she had one of those really bad earaches in the middle of the night. Usually hubby is out for the count at night time, but this time he got with her and went down stairs, gave her meds, and they watched Mosters Inc. for the first time until she could go back to sleep. It was so nice!

What a sweet image of your husband singing "You are my Sunshine!"
(Thank you for stopping by at my blog today!) :)

Mall Worker said...

That is just too sweet! I'm happy for your hubby that he got to have that sweet time together!

Gina said...

Ahhh, so nice.

I sang that same song to Liam last night as he was having a rough time falling asleep too.

Diane Viere said...

Every little "carebear" should have such a great Daddy!

This is what fairy tales of made of!

Diane

Anonymous said...

I just have tears in my eyes! What a special moment!!

kpjara said...

That just gives me tears! How incredibly sweet of Feisty and Daddy!

Blackeyedsue said...

How lucky are you that you got the night off! I love it when daddy's get to be the knight in shining armor.