Aug 25, 2006

A Milestone-A Pseudo Award-And What's That?! RAIN?!

Care Bear's birthday is next week. She'll be the big 4. Last night, Blondie 1 and Blondie 2 were riding around the neighborhood on their super bright neon pink and purple "big kid bikes" racing eachother, while poor Care Bear lagged behind on her much too small for her pastel pink and purple tricycle. She came in defeated and said she no longer wanted to play because "Blondie 1 and Blondie 2 are racing eachother and I don't have a bike to race with them." That was it. I decided at that moment that Care Bear was getting an early birthday present.


dora bike

Ah yes.....her first big girl bike. My mom had actually gotten this for her for her birthday....beat me to the punch, so I offered to buy it from her so we could give it to Care Bear. The look on Care Bear's face when this was brought out made me feel good about my decision to give this to her early. I just could not stand the thought of waiting another week and seeing that look on her face everytime her best friends got on their bikes and she would have to resort to climbing on her little trike and bumping her knees on the handle bars every time she rode. However, Feisty had the complete opposite reaction. Feisty is the biggest Dora fan you will ever find. This girl has Dora-mania. When she saw that bike coming out of the box and found out it wasn't hers....well lets just say that she was a tiny bit heartbroken. Not even inheiriting the little tiny Elmo bike with training wheels or Care Bears tricycle could calm her. She wanted the Dora bike.

Once the bike was put together, Care Bear climbed on that thing and rode it like she'd been doing it her whole life. Quite the pro. I'll give her a few months until she's doing it without training wheels. *sigh* Another milestone. What's a mother to do when her kids just grow up too fast?!

And now.....it's been quite awhile since I have awarded an "I HELPED KRISTEN COOK" award. I'm dry guys. I have no new recipes to try. You can't get the award of you don't submit the recipe, folks! Come on now! I mean, I know it's a meaningless award and in the big blog scheme of things, who cares about a stupid award telling people that you helped some fledgling kitchen challenged mom cook a good meal for her kids, but I still need help! SUBMIT, SUBMIT, SUBMIT! I'm getting bossy now, aren't I? Anyway, I do have an award this week, though. It was very popular with the kids, they ate it all up, and it was quick, easy and cheap. So, this weeks award goes to:

banquet chicken nuggets

BANQUET CHICKEN NUGGETS!

Do you suppose the people at Banquet have a blog where I can send them the code for the award? Hmmm.

And my last little "nugget" for today (you see how I did that? did you catch that pun?!), it's COLD outside this morning. Yes, COLD. Not just chilly. I'm wearing a sweatshirt. I have a blankie over my legs. I'm so happy! Leaves are starting to fall off the tree. I'm having visions of fires in the fireplace....socks and shoes with laces.....the smell of fall.....kids jumping in leaves.....I'm getting ahead of myself because I know by tomorrow we'll be in sweltering heat again. I'm thoroughly enjoying it today, though.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

8 comments:

someone else said...

That bike is just cuteness itself!!

Sherry said...

What a great bike! I'm sure she's having the time of her life!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Here you go - one of my favorite fall recipes. Pork and Pepper Stew. (Don't freak out about the peppers - it simmers up so nicely and tastes so rich and yummy and your kids won't know they're there. They're in season and really inexpensive right now, too.)

2 lbs. Lean boneless pork loin (or roast)
1 large onion
2 large red bell peppers
1 clove garlic
1 lb. small new white potatoes
2 Tbs. parsley
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 tsp. basil

Cube the meat. Heat the oil in a dutch oven. Add the pork, and garlic and saute until pork is lightly browned on all sides. Chop the onion, add it to the pot. Chop the peppers and add. Saute until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes (undrained), parsley and basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the pork is tender, about 20 minutes. Seriously hearty and delish. Hope you like it!(I'm waiting until it's cool enough to make it here.) Oh - and I like to do Rhodes frozen rolls with it and sometimes a salad if I feel like chopping more veggies. :)

Code Yellow Mom said...

Oh - the potatoes go in right after the peppers. Cook all that for five minutes before you add the tomatoes.

kpjara said...

The bike is darling and the cool is so wonderful! Rain Glorious Rain fall....and bring fall!

Lei said...

i've also been somewwhat kitchen-challenged since sasha's milk allergy diagnosis! sorry to not contribute!

happy bday to care bear and so jealous of your cooler weather!!!

mamashine said...

Okay, here's an easy crockpot one that we love around here:

Take about 3 or 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken and throw it in the crockpot with a packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing on it. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

One hour before serving, add 16 oz cream cheese and 2 cans cream of chicken soup. Also 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash, and some minced onion. Stir it all up with the chicken juice and heat.

Serve with noodles.

This is so easy and SO yummy. Most of the time I double the sauce, and sometimes I use garden veggie cream cheese. :)

mamashine said...

Oh, and I love the bike! And I'm jealous that it's cold! Not in Texas...