Sep 13, 2006

Feisty's Sweet Nothings

Praise band practice was last night. Every Tuesday and Saturday, hubby and I have to leave our children with my mom and dad so that we can practice. Tuesdays in particular are hard on our girls when we have to leave them again a mere two hours after getting home from work. Feisty successfully rips my mommy heart right out of my chest every time when I hear her moan and cry while I'm leaving, "Mommy gone again!" This in and of itself has made me question as to whether or not my participation in the band is worth it. They need hubby; he's the drummer. But there are two other singers besides me. Is my presence so needed that I have to make my children miserable by leaving them twice a week to practice? Something I've been pondering.

Typically, practice runs from an hour and a half to two hours. By the time we get home at 9:00 p.m., our kids are tired and need to go to bed, but are unwilling because they want to stay up and play or spend time with us. However, last night, within minutes of getting home, both Anakin and Care Bear were dead to the world. Feisty was another story.

Several attempts at calming her down and trying to get her prepared for bed were unsuccesful, despite her rubbing her eyes and yawning every 30 seconds. I held her for awhile in her favorite big chair until she told me, "Done mommy." This always indicates that she intends to get up and further prolong going to bed.

However, this time, while she was "done" with mommy, she wanted to continue sitting in the big, comfy chair with Daddy. She climbed off of me and tiredly wobbled over to Daddy with outstretched arms. Daddy picked her up and snuggled her in the chair; I tucked her into Daddy with a blankie and she sighed happily. While Daddy stroked her hair, I sat by the side of the chair and held her little tiny hand. The following conversation ensued:

Feisty: "Mommy, Daddy?"
Me and hubby: "What sweetie."
Feisty: "I love you, Mommy, Daddy."
Me and hubs: "I love you, too, sweetie."

A few moments of silence while Daddy continued to rub her head and I watched her little face in the glow of the TV thinking to myself, "What a beautiful, perfect, sweet face."

Feisty: "Mommy?"
Me: "What baby?"
Feisty: "I love you, Mommy."
Me: "I love you too, baby."
Feisty: "Daddy?"
Hubs: "What sweetie?"
Feisty: "I love you, too Daddy."
Hubs: "I love you, too Feisty."

More silence and more admiration of my tender-hearted daughter. That conversation went on several more times, each time her little eyes getting heavier and heavier. She cuddled into Daddy further, and the last thing she said before she fell asleep was:

"Mommy Daddy. I love you." Then she drifted asleep.

Feisty is the most kind hearted, tender hearted, sympathetic, empathetic 2 year old I know. She amazes me daily at her capacity for kindness and love. Sometimes in the midst of a "terrible two" moment this fact can escape me, but she always returns to who she is deep down. I hope she always stays this way. I love my Feisty!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

She definitely does have a very tender, sweet heart. I love it when she says, "Are you okay, Care Bear?" She's always concerned about others feelings. But that is a heart wrencher when she wails and says, "Mommy, Gone AGAIN!" She does get over it and we have a great time, but she is definitely attached to her mommy and daddy - which is a very good thing!

GiBee said...

Awe! So sweet!!!

someone else said...

Oh that totally tugged at my heartstrings! What a sweetheart she is.

Mall Worker said...

That is just so sweet!

Diane Viere said...

I love Feisty too...and I don't even know her! What a beautiful little heart. I remember those days.....when their heart is so open and vulnerable...and especially at bedtime!

She's beautiful.....and so is " straggly haired woman in the photo" from the day before! You're too funny--"pay no attention" is like saying to me....LOOK! Sorry! What a sweet mom and daughter!

I understand your dilemma--scheduling mom and dad time is so difficult when your children are so little and vocalize their dismay at your absence. But, let me just remind you--you are doing a good thing for yourselves...you are filling your marriage with memories of activities and relationships that will be meaningful l-o-n-g after Feisty is all grown up....and doesn't call you for days! Just teasing (a little!). It's important to do things for yourselves...as well as being mom and dad. Remember...they do grow up and they will leave (the irony of me saying that is my two grown children are living at home this very moment!)....but I mean it in a not-so-quite-literal way....children grow up and get their own life. They won't need my life anymore! :( So it's best to keep your interests fine-tuned...and besides...it's the Praise BAND!!!!!

Diane

kpjara said...

That is such a sweet story!

ANd I LOVE your new look. I totally missed it's inception apparently! Looks awesome!

Sherry said...

I know the time away again at night is hard, but I know for a fact the music team is SO appreciative of you guys-we heard it firsthand from someone on the phone the other night=). I think you should stick with it. At least they only practice one night and you do have the best possible babysitters besides yourself. Give them (your kids)an extra hug from us!

Pamela said...

Your little Feisty is absolutely precious! It is wonderful to hear the love in your heart as you hubs strokes her hair. :)

Pamela said...

Your little Feisty is absolutely precious! It is wonderful to hear the love in your heart as you hubs strokes her hair. :)