Sep 15, 2006

Friday Randomness

It's been awhile since I did a Friday Randomness post. So, lucky you, today you get to be subjected to the many random thoughts going through my head on this Friday morning!
_________________________

First things first: Thanks so much for the great compliments on my new blog design. I love it and it's nice to have something new to look at when I come here every day. However, while I would love to take credit for the graphic and the design itself, I can't. I didn't create it, I just implemented the design into my template. So, no, I'm not the fabulous artist who created that cute design that now sits on my blog. The credit for that belongs to Zoot and her link is listed at the bottom of my sidebar. The other day at work, I was bored. Not that I didn't have stuff to do for my job, but I was bored of my blog; bored of the look, and wanting a change. I came across several websites that do free templates for blogger, aside from the boring ones that you can actually find on the blogger website. I browsed through, found one I liked and muddled through figuring out how to install it in my template. Now, before you take all your nice compliments away from me, it did take work to make it work. For those of you who asked me if I could help you with your blog, take a look at Zoot's free design page (that I linked to above), and if you find one you like and would like and if you want me to help you install it on your blog, I can help with that. Just click on the "Write to Me" link in my sidebar and I'll help you out. :-)

_____________________________

Last night was a strange night. I'm always complaining that I never have any quiet time; never have time for myself to process a single thought of my own; never a chance to just sit. Well, last night I got that. And I almost didn't know what to do with myself.

Hubby came home from work at his usual time of about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. He was complaining of being tired and feeling like his glands were swollen. At about 4:30 he asked me if I would mind if he lied down "for a little bit". Well, that "little bit" turned into 14 hours. He didn't get up until 6:30 this morning, and was still acting like he was tired.

Anakin went with his mom last night at 7:00 and my girls were in bed by 8:00. As I tucked the last child into bed, I looked around my house and didn't know quite what to do. There were no children running in and out of my house at fever pitch pace; no one asking me for something to eat or drink; no one demanding anything of me. The CD player and CD burner looked vacant and lonely sitting there in the entertainment center without its owner (my hubby) standing at it burning his 1,345,690th CD.

"What should I do?" I thought to myself. So I did some laundry. I pondered doing the dishes, but that makes too much noise for a house full of sleeping people. And then I sat down. It felt un-natural and wrong. I have gotten so used to the hustle and bustle of my daily life that just the act of sitting down feels lazy and boring. I realized last night as I sat there watching last seasons episodes of "The Office" and "ER" (which by the way was one of the most heart breaking episodes I've ever seen...), that even when I do have a chance to actually watch a TV show I enjoy that I'm usually doing something else while I'm watching TV.

I considered going to bed, but it seemed like such a waste to go to bed so early when I actually had the opportunity to have a couple of hours to myself, which I'm always so desperately wishing for.

Eventually, I just sat in the huge comfy recliner, covered up with a blanket and settled into watch some TV....by myself. It felt weird. My legs started to twitch. I think I have restless leg syndrome. At about 10:30, I turned off the TV and tried to go to sleep. But it was too quiet.

I guess I've gotten so used to chaos that I don't know how to act when it's quiet. I need a hobby. I really need a hobby.

__________________________

And in super, sad news, my little Care Bear's brand new bike is missing. I'm sick. It's not at our house, not at Grandma Dawn's house, not at the neighbor's house. Some mean child who wanted a bike probably took it and now my baby is missing her brand new bike. It may seem silly to pray for something like a bike, but please do, if you are so inclined. I'm so sad for her.
___________________________

As always, a hectic and busy weekend commences promptly at 4:45 this evening when I leave work. I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. Weather forecast here calls for a high of 62 degrees all weekend. Now, that's what I'm talking 'bout!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Sorry I didn't tell you about Mrs. B - I forget to tell you everything sometimes!

Glad you had such a peaceful evening - savor every moment!

Lala's world said...

thanks for the help on my blog getting me to my goal!!

and I so relate to what you said! I am always longing for peace and quiet and when I get it... I don't know what to do with myself!!

Pamela said...

Kristen, I loved reading your post. It's so funny, I think we're all like that...you're used to being in high gear, you can accomplish anything, you are a true multi tasker! Then suddenly when you take it back to first gear and you are just coasting...it's as if you start joking and sputtering and what do you do with all that pent up energy! :) Great post, and thanks for the tip!

Lala's world said...

hey no problem go ahead and do the same! it was a lot of fun!

someone else said...

That just stinks about the missing bike!! I just don't understand people sometimes. I sure hope it turns up.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the bike. I feel so bad for her. I hope it turns up!

Carole Burant said...

Yup, I remember when I craved for time alone and when I did, I had no idea what to do with myself! lol Hopefully your hubby will feel better soon! Thanks so much for the link regarding changing your template, I'll go take a look after! Like you, I'm bored with my blog's look and would love something nicer. Oh no, I do hope you can find Care Bear's bike...there's so much of that going around, bikes being stolen:-( Hugs!

Rosa said...

Sorry to hear about the bike. That's terrible. Just keep an eye out for it. Chances are another kid took it!

Grafted Branch said...

62 degrees! Oh, I'm sweaty with envy.

I, too, find too much peace and quiet hard to handle. I dream of it, but once I've got it, I'm paralyzed by it.

And my husband sits around burning CDs all evening long too. I about busted out laughing when I read that!