Sep 21, 2006

Painful Aspects of Parenting

Don't ever bother writing a letter to Mr. Nasty Cold Germ Man! He doesn't listen. In fact, he seems to have brought along Mr. Nasty Flu Germ Man because now I'm achy as well, and have no energy whatsoever. As long as I don't end up in the hospital with pneumonia again, or have to take two weeks off of work for the worst case of the flu ever (like I did two years ago), and as long as I don't start puking, I'll try to keep the complaining to a minimum.
_______________________

DISCLAIMER: This could end up being a controversial post, and I debated as to whether or not I should write about this or not, but I decided, "What they hey..." . You are more than welcome to disagree with anything and/or everything I say in this post, and feel free to speak your opinion(s) if you comment. All I ask is that you don't attack my personal opinions. Thanks! :-)

Everyone has different parenting styles; everyone has different styles of discipline. There are hundreds of books out there telling us what works best; what will permanently destroy our children if we practice certain types of discipline, and what will make our children respect us. When I was pregnant with Care Bear, I already had in mind how I was going to handle discipline in our house. I had already had some practice with Anakin, but him being my step-son, I was still not completely comfortable with practicing discipline with him. I didn't feel it was my place (that has changed now.) For the most part, I scoffed (and still do scoff at) the books placed out there telling us moms what works best. How many of these "so called experts" out there really even had or have children? I didn't feel I had or have the time to sit and read hundreds of pages telling me how to raise my child(ren). Every child is different and there is not one pat answer or solution out there that is going to work.

Anyone who knows me well or spends any significant amount of time with me knows how I feel about spanking as a form of discipline. I don't like it as a form of discipline and I never have. To me, when teaching my children appropriate behavior and that hitting is not an acceptable way of expressing yourself, I find it hypocritical and somewhat contradictory to spank my children. There of course is the argument out there that spanking as a form of discipline is not the same as "hitting", and while I may agree with that, try to explain that logic to a three year old as you are smacking their behind.

During my tenure thus far as a parent, I have tried to practice other forms of discipline such as grounding (for Anakin), taking away priveledges or toys, sending them to their rooms, and not allowing time with friends outside. This tends to work for me in most situations.

Recently, Care Bear has acquired a new and not so savory form of expressing herself and her distaste for things that she does not like: She spits. Not like one spits when they're trying to get rid of something gross in their mouth, but the all out, snotty "in our face" kind of spit. You know what I'm talking about, right? And I'm not quite liking this new form of expression so much. Particularly because it typically occurs in all out defiance of me, or when I have asked/told her to do something that she is not thrilled about. In the past, when punishing my young girls, in particular, it is usually because they are arguing or fighting with eachother, or done something with belongings or other things that they know they aren't supposed to. This is new to me, and unpleasant. I don't like being spat at by my four year old daughter. I don't know too many mothers who do. (Raise your hand if you do....).

Suffice it to say, I have had to try and figure out how to handle this and what form of punishment is most suitable for this type of behavior. Not much has been working. Last week one day, (in the morning when trying to get all three kids fed, dressed, and ready to take Anakin to school by 8:20 a.m.), Care Bear was not cooperating in any way whatsoever. She would not get dressed, she would not eat, she would not put her socks on, she would not let me comb her hair. My frustration hit a boiling point and when I told her one last time to start getting ready "or else" she spit at me. "Oh no you didn't"! And then I uttered words that I thought I would never hear myself say:

"You spit at me one more time and you're getting a spanking!"

I have "spanked" her before, if that's what you really want to call it, but it was more funny than anything to her and did not hurt in the least bit. But this time I had had it. She looked at me after I said that, and purposefully and defiantly spit at me again. So, what did I do? I picked her up, put her over my knee and gave her three good whacks on the rear. And what did she do? Looked at me in utter shock and despair, crumpled up her little face and cried like her little heart was breaking. I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "This is gonna hurt me more than it's going to hurt you!" Well, that phrase never rang so true to me at that moment. I wanted to crumple up my face and run crying from the room. I immediately regretted spanking her and wanted to take her in my arms, comfort her and tell her I would never do it again. But I didn't. I had warned her, told her what was going to happen, and followed through with it. I hated it, and I hate that it came to that, but once I said it, I knew I had to do it, or I would be a laughing stock to my kid; unworthy of my threats.

Care Bear still likes to spit; even when she's just goofing around. But now, when she gets ready to do it to me, she pauses mid-spit and stops herself. So, the spanking did it's job. But I do believe it hurt me more than her; I'm still feeling the sting.
____________________________________

In happier related Care Bear news (just so I don't leave you today with you thinking Care Bear is a total brat....cuz she's not!):

  • Yesterday, while my kids were outside playing in the back yard, Anakin was having problems locating a toy. He asked Care Bear if she knew where it was. Her response? "No. I absolutely, positively do NOT know."
  • Also yesterday, the subject of her favorite black pillow came up (her security "blanket" which is a small, square pillow that she sleeps with every night). When the pillow came up in coversation, she said, "Speaking of which, where is my black pillow?"

And for those of you who expressed concern over her missing bike: It was found. Behind a bush at the end of the block. Phew!

10 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Oh Kristen...I'm so sorry you aren't feeling better. Take care!

Spanking...yes, those who have perfectly behaved children are against it! I say that with some tongue in cheek....as I am completely opposed to spanking--having been disciplined harshly by my alcoholic father.

When my kids were younger....I listened to James Dobson's advise re: spanking. When our son was 4 years old (or there abouts...) he wouldn't stay in his car seat while in the car. I'd strap him safely in, get in the drivers seat and within moments...he was out of his car seat. After talking with the Dr. about it...he suggested stopping the car on the road....and buckling him back in. Do that everytime he gets out...and he'll get tired of it! Well....I got tired of going nowhere fast! I'd buckle him in...he'd get out. It became a game.

Frustrated, I told him one afternoon, if he didn't stay in...I'd have to spank him OR he couldn't play with his friend, Spencer, when we (finally) got home. Well..he asked me what a spanking was....how many swats...would it be with his diaper on or off! I told him he could think which discipline he wanted. For the entire drive home, he sat quietly in his car seat and upon arrival--he saw his friend, Spencer, waiting in the driveway for him.

Our son got out of the car, told Spencer he'd be right out--he had something he had to do.

We went into the family room, I sat down on the recliner and Curt hopped onto my lap, turned over and counted the swats with me. For crying out loud! Me--I was crying!

After the chosen discipline was finished....he sat on my lap and we talked about how much I loved him and wanted him to be safe. I told him I loved him, he said the same...and wiped the tears from his little red face.....and ran outside to play with Spencer. End of story. AND the end of unbuckling himself from the car seat.

What more needs to be said. Sometimes, if done appropriately and in love, spanking isn't such a bad thing!

Diane

Dawn said...

This very topic was in my devotional for today. I'll share it with you. I think Diane hit the nail on the head - in love, talking about it after the crying is over, etc. I tried, but didn't succeed very well. I had no idea Care Bear does this to you! Unbelievable that I don't. She seems to have a mouth thing going on right now, because she also hisses and last night bit little Feisty on the arm when she didn't like something. We had quite a talk about that!

Sherry said...

In my whole 18 months of experience, I'd say you did the perfect thing. I am not a spanker either...but I believe certain things call for spanking. We're doing lots of time outs for screaming, etc. right now. It is so fun let me tell ya=)

someone else said...

You gave her a warning and followed through. Good for you.

I'm not a big fan of Dobson, but one thing he recommended at the time the girls were little was spanking with something other than your hand, such as a wooden spoon or small paddle. The reason for that was so that the child did not see your hands as an instrument of pain and they would not flinch from your hands when you reach for them. I thought that was good advice. Having to stop and go get the spoon also gave me a chance to cool down a bit if I was riled up over something.

Spitting and biting is never acceptable and the faster you get her to stop, the better off she'll be.

Barb said...

I agree with Morning Glory that you have to nip something like this in the bud fast. But I'm really torn about how to answer. I didn't spank my girls, ever. Not once. But neither one of them ever spit on me either. I truly don't know how I'd react to that.

I couldn't allow any kind of physical punishment but I admit I know it's because the way my father beat us when we were little would land him in prison by today's laws. Maybe I was just lucky. I never had any trouble out of either one of my girls. No serious trouble. No bad habits when they were little. When I had to punish them I used time outs, losing allowance, putting a favorite possession away for a week and of course grounding and lost telephone privileges when they were older.

So I don't know. I do agree that if you spank you child is has to be accompanied by a talk about why you had to do it and reassurance that you love him or her.

This is just a really hard issue for me. But I know it's because of the "spankings" I got which sure don't sound like what you did.

I think if you let your heart guide you, you'll be OK. No mother who loves her child is ever going to actually hurt that child.

Carole Burant said...

Being a mother has got to be the hardest role we women have ever faced in our lives...we want to do right by our children but when it comes to trying to discipline them, which type of punishment should you use?! I didn't like spanking but when my boys had been warned and yet still kept on disobeying, they would get a few good swats. I always hurt my hand more than their bum though! lol That was 25 and 28 years ago, though...since then, the new generation of mothers has a different way to discipline because now the laws protect the children and even parents can't use any kind of physical punishment. Then they wonder why kids have no respect or discipline for anything these days! I think you did right with Care Bear...now she thinks twice about spitting at you and she knows you mean business. If you had threatened her with a spanking then backed out of it, she would have kept on daring you thinking you were all words and no action. I know it makes us feel that the worse mother alive but it's something we need to do! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you - mothering is the hardest thing I've ever done. Sounds like you're doing a good job. My mom spanked us when we needed it, and I know for a fact that I deserved every spanking I got from her. I have no doubt that she loved me and corrected me for my own good. I'm not advocating spanking, but I don't hate my mom and have never felt abused by her.

I hope you feel better soon!

mamashine said...

My daughter does get spanked occasionally, but I find that it's usually because I'M MAD and don't take the time to think of a more appropriate punishment. Then I end up feeling guilty about it.

I have two spitters in my home daycare and neither one of them belong to me. Let me tell you what, there are days when I would spank them if the state would let me. :) What works for one of them is putting him on the "sad wall" which is what I call timeout. (You made a sad choice, therefore you have to sit on the sad wall.) Then I set the timer and pull out some really interesting activity to do for the next few minutes with the other kids. He hates missing out and is usually much better after that.

My other one absolutely has to be removed from the room and my presence. She gets more and more worked up, keeps spitting and screaming, and I just can't defuse her. I take her in the bedroom, put her in a pack-n-play and tell her my playroom is not the place for spitting. It's rude and hurts everyone's feelings, and she can come back when she's calm. Then I set the timer (usually one minute per year of age) and walk away. She screams until it goes off, then I go talk to her. Usually it takes two or three times before she's calm enough to get up. Exhausting.

Anyway, there are two strategies that have worked for me. :) Good luck with the spitting. It's so infuriating.

kpjara said...

All children are different and require different discipline. I think the most important thing is your follow-through. The road to manipulation is paved with lack of follow-through in discipline.

Imagine if God hadn't followed through with Adam and Eve...and we think it's a mess now!

Blackeyedsue said...

I think we have all been there. A point where we absolutely don't know what else to do. I don't fault you at all.

As a rule, I don't spank. I was spanked, rather severly, as a child and I think it harbors a lot of mistrust and fear in kids. I am more of a "Love and Logic" parent. HOWEVER, there are situations that I believe call for a swift swat on the behind. It is impossible to explain to a two-year old that running in the street is dangerous and that they could get seriously harmed or even die if they get hit by a car, but they do understand that if they go in the street, mommy will whack my behind.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are a wonderful mom.