Sep 22, 2006

The Hardest Job In The World

In my humble opinion, there is one job in the world that is harder than being a parent; and that is being a step parent. I know there are at least a couple of you out there who read my blog who will back me up on that. Not only does a step parent have to contend with the biological parent who does not have custody, but a step parent also has to contend with the custodial biological parent. The custodial parent typically tends to be the mother, but in my case, my husband has custody of our step son. You've all heard me talk about Anakin's biological mother before and the struggles I deal with on almost a daily basis with her. But it goes beyond that.

This post comes on the heels of what I discussed yesterday in disciplining our children. It's one thing for me to discipline my children. They are mine. They are my flesh and blood. It is my job to discipline them in a way that will make them understand boundaries; learn right from wrong; and grow up to be responsible, respectable members of society. It is a completely different dynamic trying to discipline a step child. At what point is it acceptable for a step parent to begin disciplining a step child? How long does a step parent have to know the step child, or how well does the step parent have to know the step child before he/she can begin feeling comfortable enough and have enough authority to begin disciplining the step child? How far can you go in discplining that step child without "stepping on the toes" of the biological parents? In my case, Anakin has been living with us full time since he was three. He will be nine in January. For all intents and purposes, I am his mother; blood or no blood. I am the one who makes his lunch every day for school. I am the one who takes care of him when he is sick. I take him to the doctor, the dentist. I wash his clothes. I make sure he does his homework and help him when he needs it. I am the one who takes him to school; attends parent/teacher conferences. And on and on and on.....I would think that this would entitle me to some level of authority and ability to discipline him. And I do. It didn't take me long after he began living with us full time to feel comfortable enough to discipline him. After all, I am with him more than either one of his biological parents.

This has always been OK with my husband. He has never had an issue with me disciplining "his son". Until the past four years when our two girls were born. The dynamic began to change. All of a sudden, when disciplining Anakin, to him it became an issue of me "favoring the girls over Anakin", or being too hard on Anakin and too lenient on the girls. This all came to a head last night when I tried to enforce a grounding that hubby had issued as a "warning" to Anakin last week. Anakin was informed by my husband that he had had his last warning. The next time he defied authority or was disrespectful to any person in authority of him, he would be grounded for thirty days. An instance occured, which in my mind was blatant disrespect and defiance of me, and remembering hubby's warning, I informed Anakin that he was grounded for 30 days. to me, 30 days was a little excessive, but that is what hubby told him, therefore that is what I attempted to reinforce. This was plainly not acceptable to my husband, as I received several dirty looks, the "silent treatment" and further accusations of "being too hard on Anakin".

So, where does the line end and begin on how much I should be involved in Anakin's discipline? I'm about to give up and just tell the husband that I'm handing the reins over to him. If I have issues with Anakin during the day, I will tell him that Daddy will be handling his punishment when he gets home. What's a step-mom to do? I try to enforce punishments given by another parent, and I get in trouble for it. As far as the punishment for my girls is concerned; in my opinion punishments for a 9 year old are not the same punishments that are appropriate for a 4 or 2 year old. Hubby doesn't see it that way. He sees this as me favoring the girls; not being as hard on them as I am on him. I'm at a loss. Add to this the factor that Anakin's B.M. consistently tells him when he is with her that he doesn't have to listen to me because I am not his "real mom". How am I ever supposed to receive respect from this child when both of his biological parents are giving him the impression that he doesn't have to respect me? It's doubly difficult when those biological parents who are telling him this are only with him about 25% of the time combined.

Who knew that as we get older, life would get so much harder. And I hear it only gets worse. *sigh*.

On that happy note, I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. I am still working through my list of people who commented on my 125th post. My goal is to get to everyone by the end of the day. I hit a roadblock earlier this week when Mr. Nasty Cold Germ/Flu man came to pay a visit. He still hasn't vacated, but I think he's making his way out.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm...I'm not a step parent, so I'm afraid any advise I try to give will not be credible since I've never been in your shoes. I think if I were in your shoes though I would have a talk with hubby and find out what he thinks my roll as a step mom should be and follow that. Step parenting is definitely complicated and I wish you the best of luck with this.

Blackeyedsue said...

Ohhhh, I was so going to say that you know what is appropriate and your hubby is in the wrong, but I like what Maine Mom said so much better. Put it back on his shoulders.

I hope you guys can figure this out!

Pamela said...

Kristen, these are my thoughts, your son has been with you since he was 3, and kids, at least my kids, cried out for disapline. I used to tell them that if Mommy didn't love you I wouldn't care if you "played in the street". All three of my kids remember this and understood disappline = love.

Kids are smart and they pick up real quick when they can pit Mommy against Daddy. You might say, "Mommy and Daddy will have to discuss what your punishment will be", this shows them you are united, and it sure worked for us.

Hope everyone feels better real soon. :)

Ashley said...

coming from a split family, here's my advice: discipline him just as you would your own kids. my step dad disciplined me and while he was excessive and i didn't appreciate that, he did care enough about me to do the job. if you think something's excessive, i would definitely try and talk to your husband about it b/c that leaves very little room for when they do something really bad. i got grounded once for my room being a mess from EVERYTHING for 30 days and i was 16 and couldn't drive my car and had to ride the bus to and from school. what would've happened had i come home drunk after curfew or something?

my step mom never really disciplined me, but she put her kids on a pedestal and blamed me for everything that ever went wrong in that house. i only went down there every other weekend but i would be called in the midst of those 2 weeks and asked did i do (whatever). one time my step sister, who everyone thought was an angel, called a psychic hotline and ran up a $250 phone bill, and they called me and asked if i had done it...i wasn't even down there!

it is hard being from a split family...very very hard on a kid but looking back, i respect my step dad so much more than my step mom b/c i actually feel like he cares.

and i totally agree that a 9 yr old needs different discipline than a 2 or 4 year old. i just really feel like that if he is going to be living with you and you are primarily raising him, then he should respect you the same way as he does his biological parents, and you should have the same discipline authority as the biological parents. i'm about fed up with men today so if you want my honest (and not very nice) opinion, i would tell my husband to shove it...that is so ugly and Lord forgive me

Linda said...

Oh Kristen, you are in a very difficult situation. I do agree with you about your right to discipline him. However, I think the larger issue her is that you and your husband have to come to some sort of agreement. I speak from experience. I disagreed so often with my husband on discipline issues, and it really didn't help anyone at all. It confuses the kids and causes hurt all the way around. Perhaps you could get some couseling together to agree on discipling guidelines so that you present a united front to your son and the other adults involved. I think it will make your son feel more secure in the longrun and it will certainly strengthen your marriage. I wish I had been a bit wiser. I could have saved us all a lot of grief.
Thanks for visiting again, and you have a good weekend too. I'll be praying for you.

Looney Mom™ said...

Yes I know EXACTLY how that goes. I have 2 "Wedding Gifts" ages 18 and 20. I became their "instant other mom" when they were 2 and 4. It's been a roller coaster.

I think the blessing came when their mom and I actually became best friends - that was really a miracle from God. She got saved about 3 or 4 years after I married Brian. Then I came to Christ 10 years ago because of her. Truly... I need to post about that someday. God is awesome! If you knew how we were mortal enemies before that...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Nice to meet you.

mouse said...

Boy you have a tough job. I think you have every right to discipline your step-son since you are around him more than the parents. The problem is if dad doesn't understand this and you stop disciplining step-son or hubby negates the punishments you give step-son in a few years NO ONE will be able to deal with step-son. He will be harder when he is a teenager and driving. Your hubby needs to insist his son respect you as his wife and follow the rules. I think coming up with guidelines ahead of time between you and hubby for each broken rule is a really good idea. Plus I would ask hubby what he thinks the discipline for the two youngest should be for broken rules, fighting, disrespect and such, maybe ya'll aren't really that far off on coming together on the discipline thing. I don't have any step kids but where I haven't had to discipline my two older boys much at all our youngest daughter (14)is giving us fits and hubby and I have to be together 100% to handle her. Good luck to you.

Mall Worker said...

Thats a tough call. I'm gonna have to agree with what Main Mom said. I hope that you guys can figure something out soon!

Diane Viere said...

Ouch! I can't even imagine how difficult this is for your family! I know that even in a family that isn't "blended" it is often difficult for me to see my husband (the kid's father) come down hard on them....when I don't think it's necessary. Then, when I'm coming down hard on them...when he doesn't think it's necessary......same thing.

But when we know that the other parent truly loves the child...it makes it a little easier...so my only advise is to your husband--focus on Kristen's love for your son--not the temporary discipline. I'm certain the love outweighs any short-term discipline.

But I really haven't walked in your shoes and don't mean to underestimate the quandry. All I know, is when we take a look at another's INTENT...we have a far better understanding and can tolerate so much easier.

Diane

Anonymous said...

I think you need to put this back on Dad.

Dad is probably dealing with his own guilt here and is putting it on you. I mean he came up with the 30 day thing, probably didn't really mean it and then felt bad when it came into play.

So if he doesn't think you are disciplining appropriately, how about a day care for son and Dad can drop him off and pick him up?

But be real honest about your feelings too, I have 2 very close family members in similar situations who insisted they didn't favor their own children, but from my perspective it was obvious they did. So take some time to make sure of yourself too.

But that's just a word of caution, it sounds like you are doing pretty good.

BlondeBrony said...

I can't even imagine the struggle that being a step parent brings. My thoughts are with you.