Nov 28, 2006

An Explanation and Some Randomness

I thought I would give a little bit more of an explanation as to who Micah is (who I referred to in my last post) . A couple of people didn't know the situation or who he is, so I thought I'd help you out on that.

Micah is a little boy who was recently diagnosed with eye cancer after his mother discovered a growth on his eye. She initially thought that it was a bump from a tussle with his older brother, but after it didn't go away for quite some time, she took him to the doctor where they discovered cancer. Micah's parents are friends of missionaries to the Church of the Nazarene (which is where I attend.) The prayer request for Micah came through a couple of months ago and they have established a website: http://pray4micah.com where you can go and read in more detail his story, as well as updates as to how he is doing.

There hasn't been a whole lot of response to the "Pray For Micah" campaign that I posted about on Friday, but thanks to those that have responded and linked saying that you will pray for Micah on December 1 at 9:00 a.m. M.S.T. If you decide, after checking out Micah's site, that you would like to be a part of this, just go to this post and sign yourself up! I'd love to have you join those of us who are already planning on praying for this little guy together on December 1 (which is this Friday). If you'd like to even go one step further, feel free to spread the word as well.

And moving on....

Thanksgiving was great this year. Anakin, as is par for the course lately, was with his mother and even though holidays (as his mother loves to remind us) are shared, she made no effort to get him to us later in the day so that we could have some Thanksgiving time with him; and in fact, he didn't come home until yesterday afternoon after school was over. That's all I want to say about that because I'm SICK UP TO MY EYEBALLS of the whole situation.

My girls were in full holiday mode last Thursday. Care Bear took it upon herself to pick out both her's and Feisty's clothes for the day and if I do say so myself....she did quite well. They looked like little fashionistas. Unfortunately....no pics from the day. So, you'll just have to take my word for it. The earlier part of the day was spent at my maternal grandparents house with a lot of family, and two hours after we gorged ourselves there, we had to go to my in-laws house for more food. I couldn't even bring myself to eat more than jello at that dinner. Happens to me every year. There's simply too much family around here (not that I'm complaining!!)

Friday was spent decorating the tree/house complete with Christmas music and a fire. This was the first year that my girls really got into the spirit of decorating the tree. The bottom half of my tree is much more decorated than the top half (keep that in mind when you see my pics for the Christmas Tour of Homes. ) They really did a great job, though, and had so much fun. I was a little concerned that they would constantly want to be messing around with the ornaments; taking them off, breaking them, etc....but it turns out that Anakin is the problem where that is concerned. Since he came home yesterday afternoon, 3 ornaments have been broken, and several re-arranged. The girls haven't touched a thing. Hmmmm.....

Last evening, the kids spent time writing letters to Santa; complete with envelopes and return addresses. Do you think I really have to put a stamp on them? I think Anakin wants to physically watch me put the thing in the mailbox. Care Bear wrote her very own letter (with a little spelling help from yours truly) and had very specific ideas as to what she wants from Santa this year. Here are the kids' wish lists:

Anakin:
--Bionicles. That's it. Just Bionicles. Should be easy enough.

Care Bear:
--Barbies
--A Dora (not picky....any Dora will do)
--A new toy playhouse
--A Snowman (I'm assuming a toy snowman)
--A book
--A new backpack
--Dora card game
--etc, etc, etc...

When I initially asked Care Bear what she wanted for Christmas, she pointed at me and said, "You!" Yes, I love her mucho lotsa!

Feisty:
--Not old enough to make a list yet. However, no matter what she gets, she'll want to play with what Care Bear gets; so I'll probably make life easier for myself and get them each the exact same thing.

So far, I'm enjoying the holiday season. Currently, it is very over-cast. I think it's only supposed to get to 15 degrees here tomorrow and there's talk of snow. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

And that's it for today. Have a happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

Linda said...

You sound wonderful - so good to hear. I know what you mean about the food. I had planned to taste a piece of every desert and had to give up after one slice of pie. Frustrating (but I made up for it later).
The family situation sounds a bit difficult, but he's the important one in all of this and I think you handled it very well.
I love their lists. I don't think you need a stamp. I believe Santa takes care of all that:)
You have a great day too!

someone else said...

Putting up the tree with the girls sounds so sweet and fun. I think we're going to get ours up this weekend, probably Sunday. I'm starting to really get the itch to decorate now that Thanksgiving is over with.

Me said...

Micha's story is heartbreaking and frustrating... but hopefully the prayers of everyone will help. Don't worry about the lack of comments - a lot of people (me included) linked to micha's page and just never came back to comment about it.

Barb said...

Micah is on my prayer list. I visited the website and knew I had to pray for this little guy and his family. So scary.

Your children's lists are adorable. My girls did this every year (still do) and I've saved every list. They're so much fun to go back and read years later.