Sep 6, 2007

All Kinds Of Stuff

When we last left off, it was Care Bear's b-day. That was last Friday. It's already Thursday(?!) and I'm just getting to talking about the weekend. And what an insane weekend it was. We packed as much into one weekend as we should have all summer. Good grief. This mama is still recovering.

Friday evening after work was the obligatory Chuck E. Cheese party for Care Bear. I really wish one of these days my kids would pick another venue for their parties rather than this germ-infested hole that serves sub-par pizza. I just have to remind myself that it's not my party, so I can't cry if I want to and enjoy it the best I can. The kids love it and they can suffer along at my b-day party when I choose to go eat raw fish or something like that.

Anyhoo---first order of business---some pics from C.E.C. (Ask my Mom how many pictures I took on her digital camera this weekend--go on, ask her. Then ask her how long it takes her to download them and send them to me.) Someone just get me my own--consider it a "pregnancy from hell" present.




The birthday girl (a.k.a. little miss Colorado) with her
crown, flowers and cake
102_0953

Feisty with her consolation "It's not my b-day" present
(in my defense, I don't normally do this, but Feisty didn't get quite the
huge b-day Care Bear did so I felt she deserved it)
102_0955

Feisty's favorite game
102_0957

Care Bear doing what she does best....Coloring (the modern way)
102_0960

Anakin, the video game conneseur

102_0961

Mmmm.....cardboard pizza and a mini build-a-bear....
Life doesn't get better than that!!

102_0958

"Dude, Chuck E.....what is with your pizza, man?! I might as well
be eating Chef Boyardee!"

102_0956

"Wait, you're kidding right?! Six more months?? Gag me! No, wait...don't do that, PLEASE!"

102_0963

***********

Our big present this year was really a present for all the kids which Mike spent the entire day Saturday putting together. So that was the following day. Let me tell you the deal we got on this thing. It was originally priced at over $500....on clearance for $130. When do we ever get a break like that?! We were a little excited!

102_0977

102_0972

102_0975

We're having a "friends birthday" party for her this weekend on Saturday for cake and ice cream and swing set fun! Yee-haw!

*********************************

Saturday evening, Mike's mom showed up to bestow on us a few little "knick-knacks" she picked up for us. She arrived with a trailer hitched to her SUV carrying with her a new dining room set and patio furniture set for us. Happy birthday to us! I didn't get any pics of that, though. But when Mike's mom shows up, we are never short of things to do. Her plan was to treat everyone on Sunday (after church of course) to a trip to Elitch Gardens (Denver's answer to Six Flags). Of course everyone was beyond excited about that (even me despite the fact that due to my "condition" I would be unable to ride any of the fun rides). The plan went a littly awry, however with MILs chronic condition of piddly-ness, slowness, procrastination-ess, etc....We didn't get down to Denver until almost 6:00. Elitch's closes at 9:00 once school starts back up. In addition to that, as we arrived, this is what greeted us:

102_0989

So we aborted the original plan, decided to do Elitch's the following day and made our way over to Casa Bonita which is an extremely fun Mexican restaurant in Denver. Click on the link to see about it. The kids were, suprisingly, OK with this little change in plans. It turned out to be a fun evening:

The outside of the restaurant

102_0990

The whole group

102_1046

(I got many, many more pictures from this little outing but I think my mom was tired of downloading pictures. What's up with that?!)

****************************

The following day we finally made our way to Elitch's (another outing that produced many pictures as well as videos, but alas.....) This was Feisty's first trip to Elitch's and true to her name she relished it in all of her feistiness! (the others enjoyed it as well!)

The Tower

102_1048

Some Water Slides

102_1067

Feisty's Boat Ride

102_1078

Enjoying the Ferris Wheel

102_1091

Massaging Our Feet

102_1094

Feisty The "Trucker"

102_1089

***********************

Needless to say, we were all a little exhausted by the end of the weekend and unfortunately there was not a day to recover from it all because the next day called for school and work. No rest for the weary!

***********************

As far as I'm concerned; I'm set for my amniocentesis next Tuesday, the 11th. In preparation for that, this week I had to get a "quad-screen" which is doctor speak for "let's squeeze as much blood as is humanly possible out of this person until the point of almost passing out" and have an ultra sound just to make sure the babies are still alive and kicking. And kicking they are. Literally. The tech said it's amazing how wiggly they are in there considering the amount of room they have. Everytime I see those two they are squirming in there like they're ready to take off. The position "big baby" was in made it difficult to tell if the membrane that they are so concerned about is still there. I'm going the "denial" route and choosing to believe that it means it's really not there anymore. "Small baby" is consistenly growing and keeping up...although still measuring a week smaller. That's all I know about the babies right now until the results of the amnio....which the doc told me could take up to a week to ten days after the test. Don't you think with the amazing amount of technology around today that they could figure out a quicker way to get test results than making an already anxious mother-to-be wait TEN MORE DAYS to find out how her babies are doing? Good grief already.

More good news for me, though! Yipeee! Doc thinks I have a hyper thyroid which required me to go have more blood drained out of my body yesterday. I was also informed that my chances of getting pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes are pretty good. Woooooo-------hooooooo!! Let me tell you how upbeat and happy I felt after that appointment. And in addition to that, due to all of the blood loss, I was nauseous all night and got very little sleep. Or maybe my body just lulled me into a false sense of security the last week and now is saying, "HA! You thought it was over, but we fooled you, you FOOL!". But I'm not bitter or anything. This pregnancy rocks!! Don't you think that expectant mothers should get their entire pregnancy off of work--PAID? My MIL (who lives right near the border of Canada) told me that a friend of hers from Canada got her whole pregnancy off paid. PEA! Can you confirm if this is how it works up there? Because if so, I'm headed your way. Do you have a spare bedroom?! ;-)

Enough for now. That should keep you going for awhile until I know more. If things go my way this weekend, I'll be taking some naps. But I doubt they'll go my way.

Happy Thursday!

16 comments:

Dawn said...

I think Elitch's should sign Feisty up as their poster girl for smiling excitement. That smile lights up the world!

What a week-end!!

Sherry said...

Holy cow! You've got to STILL be exhausted. I bet your kids are still talking about how much fun they had though. Love the swingset. Talk about a great deal. Glad to hear both babies are squirming all over the place. Great news. We need to get our girls together soon!

lifeinsuburbia said...

Girl.....Holy Crapola! You are having TWINS! My oh my. You could think about naming one of them Brooke. I would love that. :)

I dont' know if we'll make it this weekend. I need to talk to Nick still.

You guys should go to the same place I took the kiddos, they have one in heartland...portrait innovations. I got about a GAZILLION pictures for 9.95 seriously. do it. and send me one. yours is in the mail.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I'm not pregnant with twins but I'd be exhausted after that weekend!

There used to be a Casa Bonita's in Little Rock that was so fun and had the greatest Mexican food, but it's not there anymore. I miss it so...

I'm glad to hear the babies are so active. I'm hoping and praying that everything is going to be just fine for you and the babies.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Unknown said...

Oh my word. If that had been me when I was pregnant I would still be in bed sleeping it off.

Your belly is adorable and still way smaller than my six month belly. That looks about like my 3-4 month belly with ONE baby. :) You look great.

Glad that the girly had a great birthday. She looks so grown up in those pictures.

Kristen said...

Well, except that is my 3 month belly. Six more months to go. Bleh.

Sema said...

Kristen, you look really cute in that pic with all the family. We were in Denver that weekend as well, almost made it to Elitches but tiredness and laziness made us come home instead of having fun! Bleh! Maybe we can still make it to E before they close for the winter!

Carole Burant said...

Wow, you certainly did have a very fun filled weekend! The closest Chuck E. Cheese is 5 hours away so I've never had trouble with my boys wanting to go there for their birthday parties! lol I so loved seeing all the pictures, the birthday girl certainly looked thrilled:-) That swing set is fabulous and what a deal you got it for!! As for the maternity leave here in Canada, I've never heard of anyone getting the whole 9 months off but of course it depends what the situation was. This is what we get....

In Canada, maternity benefits for working mothers and parents remain the responsibility of the federal government. Canada’s Employment Insurance (EI) gives paid maternity leave for 15 weeks. To receive maternity benefits the woman is required to have worked for 600 hours in the last 52 weeks or since your last claim. A woman needs to prove her pregnancy by signing a statement declaring the expected due or actual date of birth.

If your baby is hospitalized, then the 17 week limit can be extended for every week your child is in the hospital up to 52 weeks — following the week of the child's birth.

Best of luck with the amnio, will be thinking of you!! xoxo

Linda said...

Naps this weekend sound like just the thing after that whirlwind!! I love the pictures. Those kids are just the cutest!
A day doesn't go by that I don't think of and pray for you often. I am believing the Lord for great and wonderful things!!

lucas d said...

Sorry we couldn't make it today. I was completely planning on being there-but two sick kids wouldn't be great for you. that's the last thing you need. Vicki said the swing set is awesome. we'll have to set up a playdate or something when everyone is feeling great. Hope you had a good time! (this is sherry by the way-I'm too lazy to log myself in)...but not lazy enough to write a long comment:).

Gran said...

Looks like you had a blast during the busy weekend. I love to get great buys like you did on the swing set. It is a very nice one.

Kristen, I will be praying for you on Tuesday during your amniocentesis appointment.

Love and prayers,
Angela - The Life And Times of Gran

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

WOW - that was busy!!! So glad everyone had so much fun. (I am so jealous of that swing set - I wish my kids had one - and the backyard to fit it in!)

As for the babies kicking and all - soooo fabulous! Can't wait to get the GREAT news from the amnio!

As for Canada - we get a year paid maternity. (It is 50% of your salary up to a certain limit.) If you have health problems during preg, some of that time can be used then - but it cuts in to how much mat leave you have. (there is a limit.) I think that is how it works.

With Jackson I got that paid mat leave for a year(it is through the govt not through the employer) but this time, since I am not employed - no money for me!!!

Yes - Canada rocks! It is also FREE to have our babies! No paying for hospital stays!

Carole Burant said...

Kristen, it's Monday evening and I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and wish you good luck tomorrow. My prayers are with you and those precious babies of yours!! xoxo

Wil's Wheels said...

Dropping by, Monday evening, to get an update. I loved sharing Carebear's birthday...thanks to your mom. :)

Keep that lively, positive spirit and my prayers continue for your babies, you and the entire family. I believe in miracles.

Joanne said...

I've been reading your blog since the gals over at 5 Minutes for Mom mentioned it. I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. I've been hesitant to post since we don't know each other and I am sure this is weird-but I pray everything works out for you and your babies.

Midlife Mom said...

Oh my! You sure had a busy weekend! Great pictures of all the fun!

I am still praying for you and your babies!! Wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom for you but I don't except that I know our Lord reigns over all and knows all the answers before the questions are even asked. Take care and know that I care!