May 28, 2007

Disasters Abound

I spent all day Saturday cleaning like a woman posessed. Most of the cleaning I did was outside. Our yard was in desperate need of weeding, mowing, sweeping, etc....As I mentioned in my meme on Friday, one way I am wierd is that I have never mowed a lawn. Scratch that off of my wierd things list because Saturday, I mowed our lawn. I weeded our garden. I swept up old, dusty musty leaves that were clumped up along side the house and the fence. I vacuumed, I dusted and did countless loads of dishes.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in the process of doing a load of laundry. Minutes after I started the washer, I walked past the laundry room and water was creeping out from under the door and when I opened the door it was like a flood gate had opened and water poured out of the laundry room and into the entry way of the house. I screamed for my husband who was asleep on the couch and we both reverted into panic mode. The water was going into the hall closet, in the bathroom, all over the clothes that were waiting to be washed in the laundry room (which was quite a large amount.) There were shoes sitting on the floor that were starting to get soaked. And the girls just thought it was a whole lot of fun to have a huge puddle of water in our house. (Luckily, the entry way is all tile, however it was starting to creep towards the carpet towards the downstairs family room). We grabbed mops, buckets, any towels we could find (clean or dirty) to get control of the situation. We finally got most of it soaked up, however my nicely cleaned yard was now cluttered with shoes, clothes, dirty, wet towels and anything and everything that had become a victim of the flood.

Once the situation was "under control" (or as under control as we could get it) I took the girls up to my sister-in-laws apartment to go swimming which we had already promised them before the big mess. Mike stayed back to continue working on the mess. While he was out and about picking up a squeegie (sp?) and some other things to finish cleaning up the mess, he was driving down one of the main roads in town which is a mere mile from our home. He noticed cop cars everywhere, news vans, yellow police tape and people everywhere around one of the local liquor stores and bars. He parked the truck and went over to where all the action was happening to try to find out what was going on. He talked to one of the news camera men and found out that some kids had been riding their bikes in the fields behind the liquor store and had come across a dead body laying in the irrigation ditch. Now, we live in a town of about 65,000-70,000. Not a huge town, but definitely not Mayberry R.F.D. Murders and bodies being found simply do not happen around here.....which is a good thing. Apparently the body had been there for awhile and was just happened upon by these poor kids. Not much is known about the situation at this point, but while Mike was hanging around, the news people asked if he would like to be interviewed for the news to speak as a member of the community. So, my husband was on the news last night. The article is here, however there is no clip of hubs on the news. Bummer.

After he did the whole news thing, he went over to his friends' house who is out of town to check on his house (which he asked him to do while he was gone). When he was over there, he heard what sounded like a cat in pain. He looked around and eventually found a cat by the wheel of a car whose leg was swollen up to twice its size and had a hole in his leg that was oozing blood. He wasn't quite sure what he should do so he knocked on neighbors' doors and finally found someone who knew the cat and left the cat in the neighbor's care to get to the vet.

Today, I am dealing with the aftermath of the flood, hauling load after load after load of laundry down to my parents' house to get cleaned, and trying to locate my landlord on Memorial Day to come deal with my massive plumbing issues (because our toilets keep backing up and our downstairs shower is regurgitating nasty looking brown water....). All the while trying to play soccer, ponies, Care Bears or whatever else my little girls' hearts desire on Mommy's day off of work.

Fun times, I tell you. Memorial Day 2007 rocks!!

12 comments:

Barb said...

Good grief! You must be ready to go back to work!

You have to feel awful for those poor kids coming across that body. It's hard to believe something like that happened so near you. How scary.

You know, after you've had one laundry disaster like that, no matter how new your washer is, you hold your breath every time you start a load. It's happened to me a couple of times and it was awful. Poor you.

What a holiday weekend you're having. Good for you for taking the girls swimming anyway.

I hope your new week is a LOT less eventful than the weekend has been for you. :-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

No pun intended, but y'all have been through the wringer this weekend!

My washer did that to me several years ago, but the water ran under the wall behind it into my bedroom closet and soaked the carpet in my bedroom. The closet had handmade heirloom quilts stacked in the floor and they all were soaked and had to be washed (when the washer was fixed!). Good times, good times.

Bless your heart you'll remember this Memorial Day for a long time.

Love and hugs,

Diane

someone else said...

Yikes! Get the weekend over with! Hurry!!

Dawn said...

Thank goodness you live close enough to drag the clothes down here! What a mess it has been, but we're almost to the end!

Now if the plumber will just come and fix the problem.

Unknown said...

This has definitely been a memorable Memorial Day weekend for you...unfortunately!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is no good. Hope things are better soon!

Lei said...

Ay yi yi! Hope it all gets fixed soon!

Carole Burant said...

Isn't that always the case...a day off and it ends up with a disaster like a broken washing machine! lol About the dead body found...that is so sad and I feel sorry for those kids who found it...not something you expect to come across!! Hope you were able to relax at work?? lol xoxo

Nancy said...

Kristen you do lead an exciting life! Things can only go up from here. I hope things are already better. At least you got the yard work done!

Lala's world said...

that is crazy, tops my weekend of just cleaning and gardening, I didn't have any disasters to deal with!!

ashli said...

Whoa! Sounds like madness! I hope it's going better now! Hopefully the next holiday weekend is perfect for you all!

Cheryl said...

Yes...I remember a foundation leak for us...our entry way with a 4 foot deep hole...furniture stacked in the corner all the way up to the ceiling...carpet pulled back...all for about a month and a half...lots of fun....oh, almost forgot...a 2 year old wanting to investigate everything...including the holes in the floor.

"Landlord...get this fixed...and NOW"