May 9, 2007

Spring Has Sprung!

It appears that spring has definitely arrived here in Colorado. Today could actually be mistaken for summer as it is a perfectly sunny day of 75 degrees. Although there are other more obvious factors besides the sun and the warmth that prove to me that summer is very, very near. The approach of summer is indicated around my home by these things:

**All of a sudden, my children decide that they need to pull out the sandles, shorts and tank tops at the crack of dawn despite the fact that it still may be only 45 degrees at that time a day. I warn them that it's still chilly out, but they refuse to believe me until they walk out the door for us to take Anakin to school and the goose pimples appear seconds later. Someday they'll figure out mama knows what she's talkin' about.

**In the same regard, they feel the need to pull out their little wading pool, or have me turn on the sprinklers decked out in their teeny weeny bathing suits and refuse to hear me tell them that the pipes probably barely thawed and the water will be colder than the north pole in December. Again.....mama knows. But they forget a day later.

**It becomes harder and harder and harder every day to get them to come inside and get ready for bed. What child can justify in their mind that it's bed time when the sun hasn't even set behind the mountains yet? I mean it's utterly ridiculous. I felt the same way as a kid, but now I don't care if the sun stays up til 2:30 in the morning. It's 8:00 and it is time. Mama needs a break. I'm searching for some wood or cardboard to tack to their windows to give the illusion that it's dark even if it isn't. Hey! Maybe that will help them sleep in longer in the morning, too? Wishful thinking.

**The neighborhood kids come out in droves and for some reason, I seem to be the only panicked parent who feels compelled to stand on the sidewalk and police the kids from staying out of the street. Why do no other parents seem to see this as a concern in my neighborhood? Especially when we also have teenagers who like to take the corners of our street in their Mustang or TransAm or whatever it is at 65 miles an hour.

**The ants! Oh for the love of ANTS! It seems that an ant colony approximately the size of Texas has made a home under our front lawn and once the lawn mower makes its first run over the grass in the spring, they flee the underground and congregate on our sidewalk. It is NASTY! We should take up some stock in Raid or something. Dude. Seriously. It looks like our sidewalk is covered with moving, crawly carpet.

**The smell of freshly mowed grass. One of my favorite smells.

**Open garage doors, loud music coming from out of garages, neighbors from across the street who like to have obnoxious parties with their little motorcycle gang (which they think are Harley's but they are really Hondas.....I think someone needs to clue them in.) Oh, and these are girl neighbors by the way. Doubly obnoxious.

**The neighbor's cat who seems to think that all yards in the neighborhood are fair game and therefore likes to present his little "gifts" that he kills in your yard. Last night, as all the kids were in our backyard playing, the neighborhood cat slinked out from behind the bushes in our garden clutching a poor, baby bird in his mouth. It was about the saddest thing I have ever seen. I, being the wuss that I am when it comes to seeing animals being killed, forced the children to chase the cat out of my yard. And then threatened them with all summer priveledges being taken away if they dared set foot anywhere near that poor birds remains. What?? You thought I was going anywhere near that bird to clean it up? Huh uh. The 6th grade neighbor "know it all" boy did it for me. Good neighborhood boy!

**The TV being off much more and the doors being left open to let in all sorts of fun creatures and critters. I'm just going to make a recording of myself for the summer screaming "SHUT THE DOOR!!!!" and run it over and over all summer from the open window so I can get on with other business.

And it's just May 9. Wow. Could be a long summer. But it'll be great.

9 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Oh Kristen...I do remember those days! lol I'm sure I yelled "shut the door" a million times when my boys were little!! I had to laugh when you mentioned the kids not wanting to go to bed when it's still light out....I really do remember myself as a child and crying in bed because I could still see the sun shining! lol Didn't seem fair to me at all!!! hehe As for ants...I've seen their little anthills all around my deck starting up....UGH! Hang in there my friend!! xox

Nancy said...

I am delighted you are finally getting some summer like weather. In NC, I have really had many beautiful days like this for weeks now. So I am glad it is finally reaching your area. I am also glad your kids play outside. So many kids these days sit in front of the TV and computer, or play video games instead of playing outdoors. You are one great mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. We're having 85 degrees here and it's VERY difficult to get the kids in. It's hard for me to even want to do anything indoors!!

Unknown said...

Hey, get those old school pull down shades for the girls' bedroom. Put them up OVER the miniblinds. They make great room darkening shades.

I have the same problem with B and the clothes thing. It gets especially ridiculous when the temperature nose dives in the middle of the week. I'm sure you relate.

Sherry said...

I love the Spring/Summer...I agree with the harder to go to bed earlier though. It's killing me. I second your idea on Chipotle paired with a Diet DP...have you tried Sonic's Diet DP with Vanilla? I'm telling you it is dee-vine. I've managed to get Amanda hooked as well.

Dawn said...

Okay, I see justice has finally been served - you finally understand why I wanted you in bed no matter that the sun was still out! Yay!! And also the clothes thing - how many times did you wear shorts to school and I had to come over in the middle of the day with warm clothes because the Colorado flip thing happened!

And "SHUT THE DOOR!" What goes around does indeed come around!! Fun stuff.

The kids were telling me about the bird and the cat. So sad! I hate their other "gifts" on the yard, though, as well.

Diane Viere said...

If only you could get the cats to eat the ants!

I LOVE summer!

It's arrived....(I say that with a healthy dose of respect and trepidation...fearing a late Spring blizzard!!!!) and I am so tempted to put my suit on and go outside on our back deck and read a book! Have to put the groceries away that I just picked up, continue with the laundry, do some cleaning and look like I've done something tangible when everyone comes home from school and work. Wouldn't be too cool to have a new tan and looking all refreshed and renewed from an afternoon in the Sun!

Glad you are feeling the summer!

Diane

Unknown said...

It felt like summer today here, too. My kids have been digging into their summer clothes as well. Emily wore shorts to school and Zoe wore capri pants. It was a humid day. The other parents in the neighborhood must know you'll supervise outside, so they don't bother...that's what you get for being responsible :-)

Lei said...

i am really lol at some of these!

try black felt lining the inside of your kids' windows. ;)