Apr 30, 2007

I Simply Should NOT Be Allowed In The Kitchen!!

One would think that someone of the ripe old age of 32, married, with three kids would have mastered the art of the kitchen by now. Not only do I not know how to cook well (given the fact that I've actually had to award readers by helping me with recipes), but I don't know how to work a garbage disposal (since I almost lost my eye recently), and I now have a beautiful scar on the front and back of my arm from the evil monster called the oven!!

In trying to cook my children an ultra healthy meal of frozen chicken nuggets the other night, I reached in the oven to turn the nuggets over half way through their cooking cycle. Instead of taking an oven mitt (which was within arms reach of me) to pull out the oven rack to do this, I figured to myself, "Oh, I'll just stick my arm in there and turn them over." That is when a searing pain touched both sides of my arm and left beautiful marks on either side of my wrist. At first it didn't hurt too bad. Being the domesticated diva I am, I just put my wrist under cold water for awhile and figured I was good to go. Wrong! I know most of you mom's out there have probably never been in danger of a butcher knife taking out your eye or having an oven burn the life out of your arm, so you probably can't sympathize. But let me tell ya. It hurt. Within two days, I had a bubbling blister on my arm that hurt when I even tried to turn my wrist. And I now feel the need to tell anyone within arms length of me what a kitchen idiot I am lest they think I did something to purposely harm myself, because that's what it looks like.

People....Martha Stewart I AM NOT! If anyone in this world needed a maid, it would be moi! Applications now being accepted!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! You need a Pampered Chef stone to cook those delicious, nutritious nuggets on. Your flipping in the dangerous oven days will be gone!...or you could hire a cook :-)

lifeinsuburbia said...

I am right there with you. Remind me to blog about the embarassing 'incident' with the tea kettle. :)

Unknown said...

Oh yeah. This could be me but with the iron. The clothes type AND the hair type.

Linda said...

I have lost count of the number of times I've burned myself on the oven. Do not feel alone!!
I have often said that if I ever came into a large amount of money the first - the very first - thing I would do is hire a cook!!
Have a good day - and stay out of the kitchen!!

Barb said...

Even us Martha Stewart types do dumb things in the kitchen, Kristen. Don't you dare tell anyone but I can be found with burns on my hands or arms almost all the time.

OK, the mother in me can't help but tell you, be careful with burn. If it bubbled like that, at some point it's going to pop and could get infected.

And I'd rather not even talk about that knife in the disposal event. It's just too scary.

Mall Worker said...

Do not feel bad. I did that oven thing once. I thought it would be quicker and easier, and the second I felt the heat my hands/arms where out of there. While I didn't get burned badly I do sympathize!

Michelle Constantinescu said...

Oh, boy! I love to cook, but I constantly wound myself! Lots of oven rack scars, I'm afraid!

Carole Burant said...

I love to cook and I love to bake...and I carry the scars to prove it! lol I bet you even Martha Stewart has scars!! xox

Lei said...

OUCH! It's happened to me! (raises hand) I'm sorry!!!

Deena Peterson said...

Did I ever blog about the time I grabbed the coffee pot to move it...by the hotplate...and it was on...for over an hour...burned all four of my fingertips...on Christmas day....just before opening presents...oh, the joy of stupidity in the kitchen...!!!