Apr 12, 2007

Thanks, Harry!

I wrote a post earlier today that I decided not to publish. It's sitting in drafts. I said earlier that I wasn't going to post again until I felt I had something good to write about. So, I decided to keep to that promise and leave it alone. I will say that I am not having a good time right now and any and all prayers are greatly appreciated.

Other than my children, I have had one thing that has kept me distracted over the course of unpleasantness over the past few weeks. One thing that I look forward to curling up with in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed and I have a moment or two to myself. One thing that has taken me out of my sort of reality that I am living right now.

So, I'd like to thank you, Harry Potter and your gang: Hermione Granger; Ron, Fred and George Weasley; Hagrid; your miserable relatives, the Dursley's; and even that crabby old meiser Snape. I have thoroughly enjoyed "escaping" into your little world and reading about all of your adventures at Hogwarts.

Good grief. I can truly not believe I have become a Harry Potter fan. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined. I began reading these books, as I said in an earlier post, in order to see what it is that Anakin finds so fascinating about these stories, and to have something in common with him. It seems to have worked. Not just because we now have something in common, but because he sees that I have taken an interest in something that he likes.

I feel a little bad now about being so critical in the past about something I knew nothing about before reading them. I thoroughly enjoy the humor, mystery, and enchantment of these stories. And the idea that they could "entice" children into bad things? Rubbish. They are a great read and I have enjoyed every minute so far. They are classic good vs. evil in which (thus far anyway) the good conquers. I have just started "The Goblet of Fire." My only regret is that I can't put them down and I fear that I will finish the 6th one long before the 7th one hits shelves in July. I feel I should slow down. And I feel that once book seven is completed, I will be sad that the journey is over. Maybe J.K. Rowlings can continue with the series having Harry and his gang working for the Ministry of Magic? Y'think?

Sorry to ramble on and on about Potter, but it's official.....I'm addicted. Good grief.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the club :-) I'm glad you have a great escape during this tough time. I will also be sad when I finish the 7th book. It will be hard to say goodbye to Harry Potter and the gang.
I hope things start looking up for you.

Diane Viere said...

Kristen,

Well....then there is an incredible worth to the Harry Potter series! Haven't read them myself...so will be anxious to read your reviews.

And good for you for having such a worthwhile purpose in reading them. To share an interest with a child...even though you are not naturally interested...is LOVE!

And my blogging friend, I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going so well for you. I will be praying for you today! May you find peace in the mist of your storm!

Diane

Dawn said...

My heart is heavy for so many people, of which you are the top of my list. Remember your post of a few days ago: Be Still and KNOW that I Am GOD!! Be Still. Read. Pray.

Sherry said...

thinking of you.

Kudos to you for getting involved with Harry. I can't bring myself to read it, Luke on the other hand, LOVES it. He's already ordered the last book.

mamashine said...

I'm so glad you love them. I do too.

I have a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff to go with it. Would Anakin be interested in a science kit that makes troll boogers? Or a flying stuffed Hedwig?

Praying for you that things look better.

Dawn said...

Troll boogers??? EWWW! If he gets them, please keep them at your house, okay???

Barb said...

Oh, your mom's second comment cracked me up. LOL I guess the truth is out - we nanas are only willing to do so much for our daughters.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now. You're in my thoughts.

And guess what? I've been addicted since Krissy loaned me the first book in the series. I've been waiting forever and ever for book number seven. I totally love Harry Potter. I buy each movie as it's released, too. :-)

Carole Burant said...

I've seen the movies but haven't read the books...I guess I should? lol Kristen, losing yourself in these books is a wonderful idea, especially if you're going through a rough time in your life right now! You're in my prayers and whatever it is, know that you are loved! xoxo

Deena Peterson said...

Father, I lift Kristen up to You today. She needs a touch of Your joy in her life. So many women are feeling out of sorts, and can't put their finger on it...give Kristen peace. Bless her this week in unexpected ways that bring a smile to her face and put laughter back in her soul. Refresh her, Father, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Isn't Harry's world just fascinating?? I wish I had stayed off of the "Burn Harry" bandwagon all those years ago...

Deena Peterson said...

Sorry to pop back in like this (actually, I'm not...I like it here)...try Artemis Fowl...he's a hoot...just to get you by till book 7 appears...

Cheryl said...

I've officially caught up on your blog going back into March's archive. I guess you know you are God's favorite don't you!? Just wanted to tell you that...

kpjara said...

Well...I'm not a Harry Potter fan and have no reason to read them but I TRUST you if you say their good!

I do know about the angst that haunts and the desire to remain positive in our words and to "...think on these things..."

I'll keep praying for you.

Linda said...

Kristen - I want you to know I'm praying for you. Whatever it is, you are on my heart and in my prayers.

ashli said...

Aren't these books amazing?!?! I so love them!
Thinking of you during your difficult time. Hope everything is okay.

Judy said...

We're big HP fans here as well. If you need a HP fix once you've read the 6th book my daughters swear by the fan fics (just be careful with those, cause some are "adult" and have some really strange pairings)

Rachel said...

i can't wait for the final book!!! i am so excited!!! and soososos glad you like them. it's just such an amazing world. I love it :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you decided to give Harry Potter a chance. They are so much fun. I think I need to read them again before #7 comes out. Your enthusiasm is reminding me how much I enjoyed them the first time!

And a world of escape is sometimes a precious thing in life! I'm thinking of you.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

I am so sorry things are so tough right now! I am sooo out of it - so buy my blog visiting has really suffered!!! - so I am trying to scroll around and find out what is going on!

So great to hear your prespectiv eon the books. My twin likes them too but I haven't read them yet.

I am tryign to decide what to do with Jackson and the movies. I felt like when he was old enough to read them he could read the books and then watch the movies. But of course he wants to watch them now. He is five but does NOT scare easily. He has watched episode 4,5 and 6 of Start Wars. What do you think? As a reader, I would prefer he read the books first. What should I do????