Apr 30, 2007

Oh No, She Di'in!!

Please, please tell me that J.K. Rowling didn't end "Half Blood Prince" the way she did. Tell me I'm going to re-open that book and read the ending and discover that I had fallen asleep in my "Harry Potter Reading Chair" and dreamed that ending. Or tell me that in July when I get the last book that we'll find out that it was a dream Harry had. Tell me something like that. Dude. That is just wrong! I felt somewhat ridiculous sitting there reading that with tears in my eyes desperately trying to hide that fact from my husband. Good grief.

I'm estimating in the last month, I have read close to 4,000 pages of Harry Potter. I haven't done an official count, but it has to be close to that. So it's safe to say I've immersed myself in the life of all of those people. And therefore safe to say that however silly it may seem, I feel like they are/were my friends. I didn't do it like the rest of the world and read them as they came out with a year or two between books. I read them one after the other after the other and now I feel.....lost. I finished #6 on Saturday night and wandered around aimlessly yesterday afternoon when I had free moments, looking sadly at my "Harry Potter reading chair" wishing I hadn't read them so quickly and had one of them to read. Pathetic, I know. I had to settle with reading "People" magazine. From which I once read religiously to get all my good celebrity scoop. Oy vey. Two months to go.....what ever will I do.

Lucky for you, this will most likely be the last Harry Potter post you see for awhile. Woe is me.

13 comments:

Barb said...

Ok. It's official. You are hooked!

LOL

Carole Burant said...

Awwwww poor Kristen! When I walked by our book store the other day I saw the sign telling people to reserve the last Harry Potter book and thought of you right away! lol xox

Rachelle said...

Yes, yes she did end it that way. I just finished rereading it today. I cry each time. Welcome to the HP club.

Anonymous said...

Yes she did end it that way, and no matter how many times you read the end it'll still be the same. Like Rachelle said-Welcome to the HP club. I have all the books/movies, and yes I will have the last one reserved and I will be there at the movies the when the next HP movie is out.

lifeinsuburbia said...

I was livid for about 2 weeks at the ending of the book. And the crying at the end. I could barely read through the tears!

Mall Worker said...

I haven't gotten into Harry Potter just yet. Its on my list of things to read. Thanks for not totally giving it away, although I do have a good idea!

Unknown said...

I've thought about reading the six Potter books again before I read book 7. It is really going to be a sad, sad day for me when I finish the last book!

Unknown said...

I know. I know. I know! Grief, anguish, questioning, anxiety! I suffered them all as well. I reread the ending at least three times to be sure that I got it all. It was wrenching, that's for sure.

Linda said...

I know exactly how you feel. I just love it when I discover a great new author (to me anyway) and he or she has written a whole series of books with the same characters. It is a delight to get to read one book after another, but oh the disappointment upon turning the last page of the last book. I really think writers ought to be able to turn out books much faster than they do. We're out here waiting people!!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Somehow I've missed reading The Half Blood Prince. I need to remedy that soon, before the last book comes out.

Now you've got me wondering what I'm missing....

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I almost threw that book when I finished it. I was upset for days! I'm hoping it's a trick or something.

mamashine said...

I know. It's terrible. I can't wait to see how she closes up ALL THOSE LOOSE ENDS that she's left hanging all over the place. I have faith she can do it though...

In the meantime, read Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy. Good stuff.

Deena Peterson said...

Aw, sweetie...I feel your pain...but just remember...things are never as they seem in Rowlingland...hold onto hope...and only a couple more months to go...just in time for my BIRTHDAY!!! Happy Birthday to me!!!