Apr 3, 2007

In Which I'm Happy to Still Have My Eye

1st lesson in doing dishes:

Never, ever under any circumstances begin to run your garbage disposal unless you are absolutely certain that there is nothing impeding it. I know most people probably know this, and so do I. And I thought there was nothing impeding it but it was hard to tell what with all the food trying to make its way down the disposal. I discovered I was wrong when a butcher knife shot its way out of my sink like a rocket and missed my eye by about a millimeter. The whole incident lasted about 2.5 seconds, but in that time my heart stopped briefly and visions of a knife stuck in my eye and trying to picture my daughter calling 911 but not being able to after witnessing the horror of mom's bloody head swirled around. The fact that neither my husband nor my parents were around just furthered the panic. And then I realized....the knife didn't pierce my eye. I'm OK. No need to panic. But I am a little scared to do dishes now. If you don't believe me, come look at my sink.

12 comments:

someone else said...

Oh.My.Word!! You are so fortunate. That's just takes my breath away!

Dawn said...

KRISTEN!!!

I was going to say the very same thing that MG said.

Linda said...

Oh my - Kristen!!! My mouth was hanging open when I read that (looking real intelligent I'm sure). I'm so thankful you're all right. I never did like those things.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

A butcher knife??? Dear God in Heaven!!! I have had spoons and medicine dispensers and sippy cup valves stuck in there but nothing, and for heavens sake not a BUTCHER KNIFE shoot out at me.

Thank you for the laugh, the horror, and the admonishment to ensure I check my disposal before running it. Yuk.

Lala's world said...

oh my gosh! my hubby is a plumber and will NOT let me have a garberator...he said they get clogged to much....I don't think he knows about being a danger to our physical bodies or pigs would fly before I ever could talk him into getting one!!!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Good grief! I'm glad you're okay! About the worst thing that's ever been in my disposal when I turned it on was a teaspoon. Chewed that sucker up royally, too! Didn't spit it out at me, though...

mamashine said...

My mouth was hanging open too. That's so crazy!

One time I crunched a baby food jar up in there and had to reach in and get all the glass out. I guess now I'm really glad it didn't come shooting out at me!

*Tanyetta* said...

stopping by to say hello and soooooo glad you're ok :)

Diane Viere said...

Kristen,

Oh! My! God! How scarey!

True story....

The ONLY time my husband voluntarily did the dishes (the old fashioned way....he's very good at rinsing the dishes and stacking them on the counter top directly above the empty dishwasher!!!!).....he crammed the dishrag into the center of the glass, trying to reach the bottom of the glass with the rag and his the entirety of his man-sized hand. Well, 7 stitches later....he has never washed dishes again! And this was 27 years ago!

Lesson: Who says housework isn't dangerous!!!!

So glad you are o.k....and all kidding aside...Praise the Lord for protecting your eyes!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! I'm glad you're ok!

jodifur said...

Thanks for coming to Jodifur!

Gina said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you are okay... that is something that would happen to me... with the close call and I would be glad nobody was around to witness how stupid I am.