Apr 27, 2007

Thankfulness

Wednesday nights results show on American Idol (the Idol Gives Back show) really affected me. I was in tears on more than one occasion watching the heartbreaking videos, seeing the heartbreaking pictures and hearing the heartbreaking stories; of not only the horrible conditions in Africa, but those that exist even in our own country. Living where I live, and living in this country, it seems un-fathomable that here in the good ole U.S. of A, people are suffering the way they are. I thought a lot about the troubles I have faced recently and in the wake of watching that show, they seem so miniscule by comparison. I thought about all I really do have to be grateful for:

Things I am Grateful For This Week

1. A husband who this week has:

--Mopped the floors
--Done multiple loads of dishes
--Done multiple loads of laundry
--Taken out multiple loads of trash
--Mowed the lawn
--Taken the kids to the park
--Gotten up before 8:00 every day whether or not he's ready to get up.
--Taken Anakin to school so I don't have to drag the girls out to do it.
--Let me take a nap yesterday afternoon when I had the afternoon off and he entertained Feisty.
--Not complained while I have spent endless amounts of time with my rear end parked in a chair reading Harry Potter.

2. My children who are healthy and who I can almost certainly count on waking up with their happy voices to tell me they love me in the morning.

3. A job that I have had for ten years and that I feel safe and secure in.

4. My health.

5. The fact that 3/4 of my grandparents are still alive and well.

6. Doctors and hospitals who are available to help us when we do fall ill and the ability to get medication easily to help us get better.

7. My education, and the education of my children.

8. A system that (albeit very slow sometimes) is available even when financial difficulty does arise, and is able to assist with medical bills and other things.

9. My parents.

10. My home.

11. My neighborhood.

12. Freedom of speech and religion.

And much, much more. And I just need to remind myself of these things when life gets hard. Ironically, this is what our pastor preached about last Sunday at church. Very apropos.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Very good list! I can't believe how much I miss those little kiddoes and their "I Love You's,"

Unknown said...

We do have a lot to be thankful for, don't we?! Thanks for the reminder!

Carole Burant said...

Hi Kristen:-) As you can tell, I'm still trying to play catch up with everyone since I returned from my trip!! Please know that I've just read all of your posts that I missed while I was away. Your list of things to be thankful for is wonderful...makes me think of what I am thankful for too in my life:-) Hope all is well with you, have had you in my mind!! xoxo

Lei said...

Isn't it nice to consider all we've been blessed with? There are times when I am praying that I will not allow myself to do anything more than thank God. And it never fails - my eyes are opened to more blessings than I realized I have.

Linda said...

That's a wonderful list Kristen because it comes from a heart overflowing with gratitude.
I'm so glad for all the things you have mentioned. God is good.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Love the thoughts and the things you are thankful for. I needed this post today thankS!

Sherry said...

great list.

ps-you forgot chipotle:)

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Thanks for the reminder to not only grieve the suffering around us but to practice gratitude for the many ways we are cared for and blessed.

BTW: When's the Mountain Getaway? I emailed you for details.