Oct 31, 2007

Care Bear's First Conference

This is going to be a grossly, braggy, Mommy post. So if you hate grossly, braggy, Mommy type posts, click away now. You've been warned.

It is an understatement to say that Care Bear looooooves school. I knew she would, but it's so refreshing to have a child who loooooovvveees school and who dives into her (albeit minimal) homework the minute she gets home from school and tells her friends she can't play until she does her homework.

I really like Care Bear's teacher. She is new to our school this year and is very young and has young children herself. She reminds me a lot of Ramona Quimby's kindergarten teacher and awhile back I actually did a comparison between Ramona Quimby and Care Bear. The comparison is more evident than ever now. (Except that Care Bear does not cause the problems Miss Ramona did).

Anyhoo.....Care Bear received a glowing report from her teacher. Her report card consisted of all 3s and 4s (Kindergarten equivalent to A+ and As). 3s mean she is performing at expected grade level and 4s mean she exceeds expected grade level. By the end of this quarter she was supposed to be able to count to 25. Yeah. She was counting to 25 before she was 3. Feisty can count to 25. She knows all her letters, capital and lower case. She can write all of her letters--capital and lower case. She knows and can write all of her numbers. She knows her phone number, her mommy and daddy's first and last names (which apparently, some kids don't know--hmmmmm). She can use scissors, glue, crayons and all other art accessories properly--she should be able to considering the monumental hours she logs in using these items at home. She can hop on one foot, skip, run, do hop-scotch, etc....She finishes her centers so quickly she wanders around the class aimlessly until her teacher pulls her over and has her read books to her. Care Bear read five books to her the other day. Her teacher adores her, which means I adore her teacher. She can not get over her artistic ability.

Go throw up now because the bragging is not over yet.

On the way up here today (today is a non-kindergarten day so she goes to the Early Childhood Center which is here on campus) she asked me if I would like to hear how far she can count. Of course I said I would love nothing more. She got to 200 and then I decided that we could go on like this until she got to infinitiy and beyond so I quizzed her on other things. I asked her our phone number, which she knew. I asked her who she would call if something happened to mommy or daddy and there was an emergency, and she knew (except she was concerned about the fact that she can't reach the phone--we might need to find another location). Then, just for kicks I thought I'd ask her some math facts. I asked her 5+5, 2+2, 4+4, 10+10 and she answered all with no hesitation. That actually surprised me a little bit. My kid is a freakin' genius. She really amazes me and her capacity of knowledge surprises me every day. How she innately knows the things she knows is unbelievable to me. I hope she always relishes learning and school the way she does now. I hope nothing ever deters her from it.

I'm a proud mama. Sorry to brag shamelessly this way--I just can't help it. I burst at the seams over my Care Bear (I do with all my kids, however I just had a glowing parent/teacher conference with Care Bear's teacher so my seams are currently bursting over her).

To shamelessly steal from Karen: Ilovehermadly!!

10 comments:

Dawn said...

She is just so much fun. I hope nothing ever breaks her spirit.

Carole Burant said...

Happy Halloween dear Kristen:-) Hope the kids have a fun time trick or treating tonight!! Wow, you have every right to be so proud of Care Bear, what a bright little girl she is and so obviously loves to learn. I say she takes after her mama and grandma! hehe xoxo

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I hope she never satisfies her thirst for knowledge. Yay!! Care Bear!! ;o)

Happy Halloween, Kristen and family!

Love and hugs,

Diane

Andrea said...

That definitely was a brag-fest...but it's the same thing I would've done too! :)

Sounds like you have an adorable little girl who is going to make you proud on many ocasions.

What a cute post! Glad she's enjoying school so much. And I'm glad you bragged about her -- that's what parents are supposed to do! Well done!

Mary said...

You have every right in the world to brag about your little one. Kids today are so smart. Please tell Care Bear to keep up the good work. I'm very impressed and am proud of her.

Blessings,
Mary

Sherry said...

What a genius!! SO great to see you guys FINALLY last night, let's seriousy, for real this time, make a date. Any plans Sat am for the park? Luke has something that am--so it's just me and the kids. What do you think? Even if it's just for thirty minutes-anything is good with us.:)

Unknown said...

Whoooooa, she is a little smarty pants! Brag away!

Sherry said...

train park 10am sounds perfect-see you tomorrow (sat)

I think it's supposed to be chilly-but not COLD:)

nancygrayce said...

Any time you can brag on your child.....do it! :)

Diane Viere said...

Brag away Kristen!

Of course, we already knew what a "freakin' genius" Care Bear is....Grandma Dawn told us! And we believe everything....that's EVERYTHING...GRandma Dawn says....well--unless it has to do with who found the PHOTO!!!!!

;0)

Diane