Jun 2, 2006

An Award, A Meme, And Other Stuff

I got tired of using the word "randomness", and since I just used it yesterday, I thought I'd simplify it to "stuff" today, lest I sound repetitive and boring. I did think of another item I was going to talk about yesterday that I forgot. Or maybe I just got tired of being pulled on and dripped on by Feisty, so I just gave up.

The other day, Diane at Partners in Prayer for our Prodigals posted about loving someone who is extremely difficult to love. I've had a few of those people in my lifetime. One of those people entered my life 6.5 years ago. She is Yoda's mother. In the past, when posting about her, I have referred to her as WBM (wanna be mom). I have thought about that and realized that calling my step-son's mom his wanna be mom is not within the spirit of trying to love someone who is difficult to love. I highly doubt that Jesus is up there in Heaven referring to her as his "wanna be mom". He gave Yoda to her, and regardless of how I feel about her mothering skills, Yoda is her son. Therefore, in the future, if and when I do write about her, that will no longer be the moniker I use for her. I have to think of a new, creative, yet less insulting name for her.

Don't get me wrong, she is a very difficult person to deal with, and every time she is scheduled to come get Yoda for a visit, or anytime I see her name come across on the caller ID, or a text message come in from her, I inwardly groan wondering if she's going to be in a good mood today, or if she has switched to her other personality and is going to be nasty and rude. You can never tell with her. She is very crafty in making you think she has changed; making you believe that maybe she has turned a corner and grown up finally. Once the feeling of relief washes over me after a pleasant exchange with her, I have to remind myself not to get to comfortable, because likely the next time I see her, she'll have decided once again that she hates me and I ruined her life and took away her family.

Last night was one of the pleasant exchanges. She came to pick up Yoda at 4:30 and was very friendly, chatty and pleasant. She even talked with Care Bear and Feisty and when she brought Yoda back, she sent with him a package of pre-cut chocolate chip cookies for the kids to all make together today. See? Very nice. But I can't get comfortable with that side of her because I've been burned too many times to know that it won't last.

Even in those moments where I wish she would somehow disappear and forget that she has a son, I have to remember that she is one of God's children, He loves her even if I have trouble doing so, and as much as it irks me, she is Yoda's biological mother.

So, thanks Diane for that timely and apropos reminder. I think that post was just for me.

I refuse to discuss the other person I have issues with. I'm not even going to go there. Maybe someday. I'm having trouble forgiving her much less even comprehending loving her. I'll work on it.

The concert tonight: Thanks to those of you that commented and harassed my mom to let me use her camera! It looks like I'm going to get to use it. I will double tie it around my wrist to ensure it stays safe and secure with me. Now I can only hope that I'll get close enough to Ace to get a few good pics, and possibly get a pic taken with him!! I'm facing a problem, though, and that is that I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where it is. My radio station's website (they are hosting the event) tell me where it is, but don't give the address. I'm not very familiar with the big city, and have no clue where it is. My efforts to call them are being thwarted by busy signals, or no answer, and they are not responding to my email!! Do they want out of towners to come this event or not?! Not everyone is from the all might big city, y'know!! Even trying to locate this place on the internet is proving fruitless. I've located a phone number to the venue, but am only getting an answering machine. Grrr. I guess I'll wander the streets of the big city until I find it. No one, or nothing, will stop me from making this event tonight. Not after the trouble and effort I've gone to to secure babysitting for the kidlets tonight!!

Before I can even prepare myself and get beautiful for the show, though. I have an assignment to finish. My professor is going to kill me off! Just when I think I can relax and breathe a sigh of relief after finishing one assignment, I look at my syllabus, and "lo and behold"! There is another assignment due. Or a test to study for. (Which is tomorrow!) Aye aye aye! So, as soon as the blogging is done, I'll be doing that. (Would you say my priorites are out of order?!)

The other day,Nikkie (Snickers) tagged me for a meme. So, here it is!

7 things I want to do before I die:

-Go on a cruise
-Finish my degree
-Work in my studied profession
-See my kids graduate, be independent and happy
-Retire in the lap of luxury
-Pay my mom & dad back for everything they've done for me.
-Go to Hawaii

7 Things I can't do:

-Eat fish
-Hurt people's feelings
-Garden
-Confrontations
-Wake up in the morning
-Stay awake at night
-Tolerate messes.

7 things that attracted me to my spouse:

-his smile
-his laugh
-his love for his son
-his passion for things he loves
-his adoration for me
-common interests
-his shyness

7 Things I say often:

-Settle down!!
-For cryin' out loud!
-I love you so much!
-Let's go!
-I'm so tired.
-What a mess!
-What do you want to eat?

7 Books I love:

-The Da Vinci Code
-Stephen King (any)
-Dean Koontz (any)
-Tami Hoag (any)
-Danielle Steel (most)
-The Bible
-The Five Love Languages of Children

7 Movies I could watch over and over again

-Never Been Kissed
-Legally Blonde
-When Harry Met Sally
-Sweet Home Alabama
-Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion
-She's All That
-The Scream Trilogy

7 People who I'm going to tag!

-Ashley
-kpjara
-Jane
-Janice
-Amanda
-Lei
-Gabriela

And last but not least, after two weeks of absence:


The I HELPED KRISTEN COOK AWARD!!

This weeks winner is someone near and dear to my heart. She sent me a couple of recipes a few weeks ago, and we tried one of them last night, and as all of the other recipes have been, it was a great success. It was tasty, and delicious, super easy and cheap. Here's her recipe:

Chicken Tacos
1 package of regular taco seasoning, any brand
2 cans of chicken broth
4 thawed chicken breasts

Put in the crock pot and cook on low all day or on a combination of high and low for a half day. When ready to serve take the chicken out and shred it with a fork. Serve in soft taco shells with taco fixings. I like to brown my taco shells in a little bit of oil in a frying pan to make them crisp. Soooo good. Excellent leftovers, tastes great in a salad too. A really, really good alternative to ground beef.

And the winner is: (drumroll, please!)

KAREN FROM:

Not only is Karen the big award winner this week, but she's also my beloved cousin! Thanks, Karen for the fabuloso recipe and helping me make a healthy and delicious meal for my family!
OK, this has gone on long enough. Have to get that homework done, now. Eh.




10 comments:

Gabriela said...

You're going to see Ace? Is it all of them, or just him? Maybe I can help as to where it's at, if you want to email me you can, but it's probably getting to late now.

Have a blast!!

someone else said...

What a wonderful thing it is to find peace in a troubling situation. I'm glad you're beginning to see her as a child of God. He loves her too and she desperately needs prayer.

Sticks and stones break bones, but names do hurt, too.

I'm proud of you!

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you, Kristen. She is definitely an ongoing burden in your life.

Thanks for the award!! What a treat! That is truly one of our most favorite dinners.

Lei said...

I have found personally, that you truly get what you seek in others. I too have had lots of experience with loving difficult personalities!

I'll get on that meme this weekend. :)

Jane said...

I agree with Lei, you really do get what you seek in others. Continue to love her, and seek for those good moments. I am sure it has been a hard thing to deal with.

Thanks for tagging me... I wil get to is soon!

And tell me about seeing Ace...is it all 12 of them? If it is can you tell Taylor hello for me?? ;)

Momma G said...

Love the 7 things you say often!

Mall Worker said...

You are truly a wonderful person!

That recipie sounds delicious!

Gina said...

Great post! You covered a lot of ground. Thanks for sharing the recipe... that is dinner tomorrow!

I hate seafood too...

Diane Viere said...

WOW! While Beth Moore knows how to put on a challenge--YOU know how to illustrate conviction in action! I pray that you will be blessed, abundantly blessed, for your openness to hear the challenge and your willingness to make a change. You are such a great example of what Beth Moore speaks of!

:) Diane

brooke said...

Loving the book selections sista! And the movie selections...:)