Apr 28, 2006

The "I HELPED KRISTEN COOK" Award

Oh, yes. The moment you have all been waiting for. The unveiling of the largest blog award in the history of blog awards. The "I HELPED KRISTEN COOK" award.

To your left, on my sidebar, you will see I have a very color-less, flashless, and rather boring heading set up to recognize those who win this prestigious award.

Last week I mentioned my displeasure of cooking, or rather never having anything interesting to cook. I was very pleased to have so many people respond and try to help me in my quest to be a better, more exciting cook! Soo..I have decided to make this a weekly (if there's interest in it) installment.

I have added a link under my profile where you can write to me. Any time you feel inspired, or have found a recipe that you think I just can't live without, please email it to me and I will add it to my stack. On Tuesdays, I will make a special call out for recipes, and you can either email them to me, or put them in my comment. If you email it to me, add a comment letting me know there's one in my email box waiting for me. But don't feel like you have to wait for the special call out to send a recipe my way. Send 'em anytime you please!

On Fridays, I will award someone whose recipe I used that week and their link will be put in my sidebar under that flashless heading. :-)

And I already have a winner for this week. And it is: (DRUMROLL PLEASE.....)


KATHRYN from:


Kathryn emailed me tons 'o tons 'o recipes and I tried one of them this week, with great success. It was easy, it was way cheap, and the kids loved it. (And so did the hubby, which is amazing in itself...he's pickier than the kids!) And here it is, copied and posted with permission from Kathryn. Thanks, Daring One!

HAMBURGER VOLCANOS!!
1/2 lb hamburger
2 pkgs brown gravy mix
Mashed potatoes (real or fake, depending on your mood)
Brown and drain the hamburger.
Make the Brown gravy according to pkg directions.Pour over mashed potatoes in the shape of a volcano. The gravy and meat are the lava.

I doubled the recipe simply because my family eats a lllottt of food. But it was great! So, thanks again.

I'll be back on Tuesday to request recipes again, but if you feel like sending one in the meantime, I'm not telling you that you cant! :-)

HAPPY WEEKEND MY FRIENDS!

6 comments:

GiBee said...

Is that FIVE pounds of hamburger, or HALF a pound of hamburger???

Kristen said...

LOL, Gibee! Half a pound. I'll go in and edit that to avoid confusion. :-)

Mall Worker said...

oh, that sounds like a fun dish! I may have to try it too!

Unknown said...

MMM, that sounds tasty. I always love gravy.

My current favorite recipe that requires me to consume good quantities of gravy is french dip sandwiches. All you need is fresh deli roast beef, provolone or swiss cheese, carmelize some onions, and put it all on a big hunk of french bread. Dip in brown gravy instead of au jus (sp?). It's soooooooooo good. We eat ourselves sick on it.

Kathryn Thompson said...

I'm so glad you liked it. My mom came up with the idea when we were little to make a really basic dinner seem like more fun. Dan prefers his with rice so he calls it Asian volcanoes, although it doesn't much resemble a volcano when he makes it... hm...

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

We make the "Hamburger Volcano" Atleast once a week, it is a family favorite here, but we dont have such a fun name for it...lol...