Apr 4, 2006

Labels, Schmabels

So last week I was looking through my closet for some jeans to put on after work. It's always important to me that the first thing I do when I get home is put on some comfy clothes. My ultimate clothing of choice is sweats and sweatshirt in the winter, boxers and tank tops in the summer (when I'm loafing around the house that is). But I don't like to change into those until I'm ready to go to bed and not planning on venturing outside the house anymore. Anyway, I realized when looking in my closet that I had no.jeans to put on that evening. I had recently purchased three new pairs of jeans from a gift card that I got for Christmas, but they were in the wash. They're always in the wash because they're the only decent pairs I have right now. So I dug into the closet trenches. There I found several pairs of jeans, all with holes either in the butt or in the knees. Then I found another pair of jeans with no holes in either area. Better than that, they weren't faded or frayed around the edges. This is where I got a great idea for a blog entry. I pulled down all the pairs of jeans and decided to take pics of them to post on here. Unfortunately, the battery on the camera was near dead, and they didn't turn out. Grrr.

I wanted to post the pictures to make a point about labels on jeans, but I'll just have to paint a picture with my words instead. The four pairs of jeans that I pulled down that had holes in every area were high end label jeans like Tommy Hilfiger, Silvers and Levis. I have had these jeans for less than two years. Yes, I've worn them a lot, but I would think that at $60 a pop, they would last longer than that. The pair I ended up wearing that had no holes, no fading and no fraying? GAP jeans that I purchased as a JUNIOR in high school. FOURTEEN years ago. Granted, they are no longer at the height of fashion; they are high waisted (Karen would definitely make me toss these)but for that particular moment and purpose, they worked. So, what does this say about labels and the decreasing quality of jeans?!

I guess I can just push the jeans down to be at my hips instead of my waist...they are a little big. :-) Will that make them stylish enough? :-)

On a side note, when I was taking pictures of my jeans, I noticed the socks I was wearing so took a pic of them, too. Hubby got these for me when I was in the hospital giving birth to Fiesty. I love them. :-)

sock

7 comments:

Diane Viere said...

COOL sox!

Diane

Unknown said...

Do I sense a little resentment?

I've had that experience with jeans too. My favorite pair of jeans recently (in the fall)were Silvers that I paid WAY too much for. Not only did they shrink too fast but they're almost worn through in the top of my thighs. I won't do that again.

Unknown said...

Love the socks!...and I love GAP jeans, so I'm not surprised those were the best pair in the closet...high waisted and all :-)

someone else said...

I bought some new jeans recently and kept the receipt just in case the Fashion Editor, aka Mrs. Tradeoff, told me they were not cool. But they passed with flying colors. I frequently defer to both girls for approval of certain items.

brooke said...

ok, totally nominated nick for what not to wear. i still haven't heard back though.

Kristen said...

No resentment, Karen! I was just referring to your recent blog about your friend whose closet you went through. The jeans are definitely not the most "cool" in the world, so figured it'd be a pair you would tell me to toss. :-)

Shannon Nelson said...

I just have to say that if you can still fit into your jeans from high school---YOU ARE AWESOME!

Ps. I wear jeans (Old Navy) with holes in the knees all the time. It reminds me of my younger days. ;)