Apr 5, 2006

So my kid is little! What of it?!

Not all babies come out of the womb with Pillsbury dough boy rolls and Gerber Baby cheeks. My girls are among the group that do NOT come out that way. They were both tiny when they were born (5.5 and 6.6 lbs respectively) and remain little. Particularly Fiesty. She is a little mite. And I know it. What bugs me to no end is when the entire free world feels the need to remind me of it as well.

I am not ashamed that my child is little, nor am I worried about it. Her doctor says she is fine, the fact that she has hit all of her major milestones and then some indicate that she is fine. She is just little people. LITTLE.

Why am I on this tangent today, you may ask? Well, because at least twice in this week alone, people have decided to remind me once again how "tiny" she is. One is someone I know well who has to announce this fact to me at least once a month, and one was a complete stranger. This person I know is a dear friend. I have known her all my life. Literally. She has a son who is about 5 weeks older than Fiesty. He's a brute. A brute I tell you! So just because her son is about twice the size as Fiesty at the same age, does not make her any more unusual than her son. He's just huge. Not to mention the fact that she also has a daughter who is pretty tiny herself. Fiesty is petite. She is small boned. But she is MIGHTY. Don't tell Fiesty that she can't do something because she will prove you wrong. She eats like a horse. At least twice the amount that Care Bear eats. I don't know. She must have a very high metabolism.

The stranger the other day saw Fiesty pitter pattering along side of me after we dropped Care Bear off at Pre-School. In her baby talk voice she said to Fiesty, (but of course was really saying to me), "Ooohhh...your so tiny! You're too tiiinny to be walking! How can you be walking?!?!" Ok, lady. I get the point. I respond, "She's almost two." She says, "Oh, my! She's as big as my kids when they were born!" I say, "Wow. How unfortunate that you gave birth to a 22 lb child! Please tell me what page you are on in the Guiness Book of World Records and I'll look you up when I get home!" ....Alright, I didn't really say that. But I wanted to. I did the obligitory and polite, "hahaha, that is so funny" laugh and grabbed Fiesty to put her into her "big girl" carseat.

I may seem bitter about this whole thing. Really I am not. I know my little girl is just that...little. And I truly am not worried about her in the least. It just annoys me to no end when either the same people have to keep telling me over and over again, or complete strangers who know nothing about my children have to comment on it. I feel like in their minds they are saying to themselves, "You must not feed your child!" It's like when complete strangers come up to you when you are pregnant and start rubbing your belly. "Umm...excuse me? Personal space, please."

My baby is little, but she is bee-you-tee-ful and I wouldn't want her any other way!!

Olivia-elbows4 Months Olivia 1 1 year COOL CHICK! 18 months
    All dressed up 001 Almost 2

9 comments:

Mall Worker said...

That drives me absolutely insane. My son was born premature, and everyone and their mother had to tell me how small he was. Some people even came right out and told me I wasn't feeing him enough. People need to keep that crap to themselves.

Your girls are beautiful and there is nothing wrong with their size!!

Rachelle said...

Nothing wrong with small kids. They sure are adorable. But is it bad my son weighs as much as Feisty? It's because he's a freaking tank! I wish he would start walking so I don't have to keep lugging his weight around. My niece is tiny and just cute, cute cute - like your girls!

Kristen said...

Nope. Not bad, Rachelle. Chunky babies are cute, too. All babies are cute. :-) No matter the size!!

Unknown said...

I had one of each. A big butterball baby who is now a skinflint and a nice round 8 pounder that has become a wee petite thing.

I don't understand why people think it's fine to randomly comment on the appearances of others.

Anonymous said...

My kids are little too. My twins are 9 now, but they look 6 or 7 and people respond to them as such. The advantage is that people are always impressed with how smart they are for being so young :) And they usually wear out their clothes before they outgrow them.

someone else said...

Ok, stick to the "petite" description.....and find that woman and kick her in the shins! Feisty will be the envy of all her peers when she grows up and doesn't grow o u t.

Lei said...

Why do people like that open their mouths? Surely someone, somewhere along the way, has pointed out to them their intrusive manners. Lol! I guess I get the same sort of thing, only from the flipside... "He's only 17 months? 30 lbs.? What are you feeding him?!?!"

Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh, how adorable. Laylee was tiny and Magoo's a monster. They both eat. They both came out of this body. They're both fine.

I wish people would just leave the kids alone. That kind of focus on the physical is what leads to body obsession and eating disorders.

Jane said...

I think they are so cute!!

I have a "petite" dd too. I also have a ds who is really little, and I am getting tired of people telling him he is little. The poor kid is getting a complex. I just tell people that good things come in small packages.