May 26, 2006

I Asked For It!!

In the eloquent words of my mom, "You asked for it, Kristen". Yes, I suppose I did. But I can handle it. Really, I can. The question is, can I handle it and keep my sanity in check, and keep from keeling over from complete exhaustion.

I am currently sitting at my desk with a 24 oz. cuppa jo, and a 1 liter bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper. Gross, I know. It's only 8:30 in the morning. But if I plan to sit here all day with a nice, calming breeze blowing through the window and a dead phone, I'd better have something to keep me awake. For real.

My strait jacket finally arrived. It fits. If any of you all are confused, I'm referring to the fact that I have added going back to school to my already crazy filled life. I work in the Admissions Office at a large University, and one day I was sitting at my desk, talking to thousands of students who were applying, getting admitted, excited to start their college education and a slight depression came over me. I'm 31 years old. I have less than 2 years of college under my belt. Circumstances beyond my control prohibited me from finishing my education. I suppose looking back on it now, it's not a bad thing that I wasn't able to finish my education and waste large amounts of my parents money only to come out and never again use what I learned. Really, what 18 year old knows what they want to do with the rest of their lives? Some may, but almost every friend I have has ended up regretting the area they studied in college and are currently not doing anything with it.

So, anyway, I was sitting there, all of a sudden disappointed that my life is very quickly passing me by, and I have yet to complete even a bachelor's degree. While I like my job, for me it is simply a way to pay my bills. I have worked here for almost 10 years, I know everything there is to know, there is no opportunity for advancement (unless you have at least a B.A.), and I can practically do it all in my sleep (which is probably good for me today.) I got a crazy idea. "Hey", I said to myself. "I work in the Admissions office. I have the inside track. I can apply without the application fee. I can speed up the process by taking my application straight to a "decision maker". What am I waiting for??" So, I filled out an application that day, and got admitted, that day. Yes, working here does have it perks. For the average joe, the application process takes 2-4 weeks. Yay me!! :-)

So, here I am. I'm almost through with my 2nd week of my first class. Can I just say, that I have forgotten the art of studying?! I wasn't a good studier when I didn't have additional factors such as kids, husband, part time job. But this time I am determined. I will not quit. If it takes me until I am 50, I will complete this degree. As God as my witness, I will never work for minimal pay again!!!

But I am tired. Oh, so tired. My first week of class was fairly simple. She was breaking us in. Giving us a false sense of security. Making us think, "Hey...this Interior Design stuff is a cinch!" Then came week two......As I browsed through my syllabus mentally making note of how much studying I could get away with at work, and how much I could complete in a lunch hour, I began to hyperventilate: four lectures, a 14 page reading assignment in my text, an assignment that requires waching two episodes of "Trading Spaces" and a paper to write comparing and contrasting the differences and similatires between the designers on the show, and the professionals in the Interior Design field. How, oh how, am I going to do this?! And how does any mother actually find the time to take more than one class at a time? I truly admire those that actually go to school full time and have kids.

My paper is due Saturday. I have completed the lectures, completed the reading, and completed one episode of "Trading Spaces". I finished the show at midnight last night. I will finish the second episode tonight, and spend the day Saturday writing my paper. While reviewing with my mom all of the stuff I have to get done by Saturday, she wisely told me, "Well, you asked for it." I know I did. But in the long run, I will be happy with myself for completing a degree, following through with something, and hopefully getting a job I truly enjoy bettering life for myself and my family. So what if I have so much information crammed in my head that it is oozing out of my ears and nose?! One of these days, I'll be glad I did it.

Short summary of my thoughts on AI Wednesday night. Best finale ever. Best season ever. Yay Taylor! It was fun to see Clay, and the nerd who impersonated him cracked.me.up! Now, I am done speaking of this show for the rest of the year. Breathe a sigh of relief, people. ;-) Thanks for putting up with me!

13 comments:

Diane Viere said...

LOL! You need a breather in the middle of all that you are doing! If American Idol is it--so be it!

At the risk of repeating myself--You go girl! 'Member-I went back to school when I was 48 years old! You can do this! You can do this! You can do this!

Even tho I am not your mother--I feel a sense of excitement and pride for you! If you ever need any encouragement from someone who has just recently been a non-traditional student (yes, I became the 18 year old boys surrogate mother!)....just e-mail me! Keep me posted!

Diane

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to discourage her attempt - believe me! I work with non trads every day and think it's great. I also love to see university employees finish a degree after taking advantage of the free course each semester. But the kids do make it much more difficult!

someone else said...

The degree sounds challenging and very rewarding. Hang in there!

Didn't you just love the AI finale???? I thought it was a great night of music and fun.

Mall Worker said...

Hang in there, the school thing will get easier! You'll find the right balance of school/work/kids!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on going back to school. Please post how you keep sane during the process. I am not holding on to sanity as well as I would like.

Gina said...

Oh the fatigue of it... I don't know how you are surviving! I love how dedicated you are to your goal! You WILL make it! Just take it slow.

Unknown said...

I'm excited for you. What kind of classes are involved in an interior design degree?

I don't think I would completely change my degree since the only other related choice was psychology which is useless when not coupled with something else. However, if I hadn't planned on having kids young and staying home I would have worked on a masters in counseling rather than social work. I like social work but not so big into the public policy side of things. Ya know?

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

All power to you girl!!!

And I'm sure glad it's you and not me. I almost went back to University after leaving my software development career b/c I was so bored of it all. But then I started working at home and for me it's been the best thing.

But, for you it sounds like the right thing... so I'm very happy for you.

I'm sure you're going to do brilliantly and it will definitely pay off.

Just keep patting yourself on the back and reminding yourself that you're a brave, brave woman.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

oh girl you must be tired! I understand your desire to finish your degree. I too, due to illness, was unable to get my degree and I still long for it.

good luck and I will pray for you and for energy for you!

emlouisa said...

Wow! I am totally impressed that you are going back to school. I am planning to do so someday and am really scared. Please blog about it lots so that I know what to expect! I'm so nervous!!!

Kudos to you for doing it! You go girl!

brooke said...

You've got a lot on your plate right now, I'm thinking of you! I get the same comment from my mom from time to time, it must be a mom thing... :)

Momma G said...

congrats to you for going back to school...that paper sounds interesting! I'm a dork...

Blackeyedsue said...

I so relate. I started up again when dd #2 was six months old. NOT my best idea. I only went back one semester. I couldn't hack it and being a mom. I thought I would finish when #2 is in first grade.

Best of luck to you. I am really impressed by mom's who can juggle it all. You seem like one of them.