May 23, 2006

It's All Good

Thanks so much to everyone on your comments and input on my last post. I really appreciated everyone's opinions.

Saturday, I decided to have a chat with Barbie. I hadn't really had the chance before then since the big "foot in my mouth" episode. But by Saturday, I practically had an ulcer over the situation and was losing sleep. The Barbie and Ken family and our family have always gotten along really well since we moved to the neighborhood and I hated the thought of messing up the relationship between ourselves and our kids. So, I decided to take a mixture of the advice you wonderful people had given me. Some thought I should go talk to her about the situation, some thought I should leave well enough alone. I decided to do something in-between.

Early Saturday morning (early on a Saturday morning meaning about 9:30 a.m.), hubby was outside working on the yard. The front door hung ajar and Care Bear and Feisty had managed to escape out the door to go investigate what Daddy was doing. I ran out the door after them. No one was dressed yet. Hair was all over the place; food was all over the faces; and guess who happened to be outside at that particular moment? Yep; Barbie. Perfectly coiffed in her daisy dukes and her itty-bitty tank top. And here I am looking like death warmed over. Barbie was in what looked like a rather intense discussion with her mom who was over at the moment. I decided to myself, "This is possibly the only opportunity I may have for quite awhile to talk to Barbie and get this whole thing out in the open and ease my mind." Then I looked down at myself. There was no way I was going to go have a chat with Barbie looking like Medusa. I surveyed the situation. Looked like the conversation with Barbie Mom may last awhile. Perhaps I have time to go slip on my own daisy dukes and tank top (although a little more modest), brush through the snake hair and go say hi. So, I did just that. Luckily, when I got back outside, Barbie Mom had just left and Barbie was getting ready to head inside. I bounded through the yard to give Barbie the good ole, "Hey, wasssupp?" I decided to act like nothing weird was going on (because perhaps there wasn't; this may have all been in my head. Not like I haven't created dramatic situations for myself before.) Within 30 seconds of talking to her, I realized that this was another case of "Kristen Paranoia". I didn't ask Barbie if she had heard the statement I made, I just put on the charm, inititated a lighthearted conversation, and she talked back. If she did hear anything, she didn't let on.

The girls hadn't been over for several days, but within the conversation I had with Barbie, I was enlightened by a couple of things she said and have realized that it may be a good thing that her kids have been able to spend so much time at our house lately.

Needless to say, Care Bear and Feisty have been crawling out of their skin the past few days with their buddies not around to play with and Mama has been overdosing on pre-school play. My house is suffering. I was over-joyed yesterday evening when I saw two little blonde-headed girls making their way through my yard towards the door. And so were Care Bear and Feisty. They stayed until 8:00 p.m. Past dinner (yes, I fed them), and until bed time. And you know what? I couldn't have been happier.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH that is so something I would totally do. I am glad you were able to figure it out so stealthly.

Diane Viere said...

ROFL! Madusa!

You are too funny--and very wise! I LOVE how you handled this--and I am thrilled you updated us all!

Doesn't it feel great to have this burden lifted! Even if it was just paranoia...it was a burden!

Happy for you!

Diane

Gina said...

Well I am glad you have a little better perspective. I do hope your visitors don't wear on you again too soon. So glad you are feeling content... losing sleep over something like hurt feelings wears one down and fast!

Gabriela said...

I bet you feel better! I hate things like that.

P.S. I would love your banana bread recipe!

Grammy said...

Good for you. It sounds like you handled it perfectly.

I always think it's better to speak up gently before a situation gets out of hand. From here on, could you just give her a ring at dinner or bed time with a, "Hi. We're about to start ........, so I thought I would let you know that the girls are on the way home."? That would work for me and keep me from getting impatient when I wanted to get on with my life, but still had guests.

Ashley said...

i guess sometimes it takes us sticking our feet in our mouths to step back and put on someone else's shoes. i've been attempting to think before speaking here lately and to try and think about the fact that someone's situation may be a lot different than i assume it is. it is very hard! lessons learned the hard way are usually the best learned though! (i sound like a hallmark card) thanks for commenting on my page :)

someone else said...

Kristen, you are a real gem. That's a beautiful story and you just never know the influence for good that can come of a plain old conversation. Good for you!

Unknown said...

Wonderful!! I'm so glad it worked out in the end. I'm proud of you for taking the first step.

Medusa hair? Love it. I'm more of an oil spill in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Yay!
Phew! What a relief. :)

Momma G said...

They're Baaaccccck!

Jane said...

I am so glad that you talked to them, and I love the suggestion of...we are sitting down to dinner, the girls are on their way home. I don't think anyone would be offended by that.

You made me laugh! My Hair has a party every night while I am sleeping too.

Sherry said...

don't you love it when you panic over something FOREVER...or all night seems like forever, only to find out...nothing to worry about. Glad it all turned out ok=)