May 30, 2006

My First "My Life Monday"!

I'm not confused. I know it's Tuesday, but I usually don't blog on Mondays, so usually don't get to participate in Rachelle's My Life Mondays. But I didn't want to miss out on this one, so I'm doing it on Tuesday. It's my blog, my prerogative! :-) This week's topic is "In Memory Of...."


mylifemonday

This post is in memory of my great-grandmother on my father's side. Her name was Grandma Wickstrom.

When I was a little girl, my Grandma Wickstrom was my best buddy. I was lucky enough as a child to live a mere six blocks away from my grandparents. My great-grandmother lived with them as well. Since they lived so close, I got to see them often.

Grandma Wickstrom was always willing to play with me. I don't care what it was, she would play my games. I don't know of too many 85-90 year old women who have the patience, desire or energy to keep up with a 5-9 year old girl, but she did. I probably did wear her out on many occasions, but she never complained.

We played house, we played teacher (I was the teacher, she the student), we played bookstore, we played library....you name it we played it.

Grandma Wickstrom had long, gray hair that she always kept in a bun. She had an infectious laugh and a loving smile. She gave wonderful hugs.

I loved my Grandma Wickstrom.

One night when I was spending the night at my Grandparents house, I went in to say goodnight to my great grandma and to my suprise, and somewhat horror, I saw a set of teeth swimming in a glass cup. And there was grandma, sitting on her bed sporting a huge gummy grin at me. From that moment forward, it was one of our funnest games. I would convince grandma every now and then to pop her teeth out and show me her toothless smile and have her talk for me. We would both bust into fits of giggles until our stomachs hurt.

My grandma Wickstrom was very special to me. I'll never forget one day when I was in third grade, I came home from school and heard that Grandma was in the hospital. She had suffered a stroke. I was terrified. She was 92 years old. She had always been so healthy, but she was getting old. I went to visit my grandma in the hospital. She wasn't able to talk to me or communicate with me, but I talked to her, I rubbed her head and I gave her a kiss. It was the last time I saw my grandma Wickstrom. The next day I came home from school and my mom sat me down to tell me that my Grandma had gone to be with Jesus.

It's been 22 years. I still think of my Grandma often. She was a true friend, playmate and kindred spirit. I look forward to the day I will re-unite with her in Heaven!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful, Toots. You HAVE to give a copy of this to Grandma (her daughter). I hope Care Bear and Feisty have such wonderful memories of their great grandmas.

Lei said...

Lol at discovering her teeth. I remember the first time I saw a set of floating teeth! Lol!

Sweet tribute... :)

Mall Worker said...

That was such a sweet story! Thank you for sharing!

someone else said...

Kristen, what a lovely tribute!

Momma G said...

This is really sweet...

Gabriela said...

Love the teeth story!

Sounds like a great lady.

Unknown said...

That's so neat that you had such a close relationship with your great-grandmother!

Rachelle said...

Thank you so much for sharing! A great tribute!

Anonymous said...

I know we're not related but I too had a Grandma Wickstrom..And my REAL name is Clay Wickstrom