May 19, 2006

Some Ketchup with my Foot, please!!

We have some neighbors. No, really, we do. Quite a few actually. But we have some next door neighbors. They have two little girls, ages 5 and 3. My girls, ages 2 and almost 4 love to play with them. If it were up to all of these girls, they would play with eachother every waking (and non waking for that matter) hour. This is great, in my opinion. Play, play, play to your hearts content and wear yourselves out real good by bed time. But here is the thing: Most of the time I feel like I have 5 kids instead of just 3.

I'll explain my neighbors a little bit for you. I call them Barbie and Ken (not to their knowledge of course). Barbie is just that: a Barbie. 25 years old, long blonde hair, big (fake) boobs, and a year round tan. Her hair and tan are fake, too though, but nonetheless, the result is the same. Barbie likes to talk on the phone. All.the.time. I never see this woman without a phone attached to her ear. NEVER. I think she should just have it surgically implanted onto her ear. It'd probably make life easier for her. Barbie spends most of her non phone hours either tanning or working out at the gym. She puts her girls in the "daycare" at both places while she self-indulges.

Ken looks like, well....Ken. Handsome, built, winning smile, the whole nine yards. Ken owns his own business. I still to this day do not exactly know what he does, but whatever it is seems to earn them a pretty good chunk of change because Barbie doesn't work; she's too busy on the phone to work. Ken spends copious amounts of time on his yard. Barbie spends equal amounts of time on the inside of the house. The house (inside and out) looks like it belongs in Better Homes & Gardens.

Their little girls are absolutely adorable. Sun-kissed blonde hair, bright blue eyes and sweet little demeanors. They are very well behaved. I can always count on seeing one or both of these sweet little faces at my door when I hear the doorbell ring first thing in the morning before Care Bear or Feisty (I just found out I've been spelling Feisty wrong all this time) have even had a chance to bathe or get dressed. Most of the time when they show up, they are still in their pajamas. At some point during the morning, Barbie must realize they have gone and herds them back in to quickly to clean them up and send them on their way again...back over to my house. (side note: one day last week, I was on the phone with Barbie....shocker; on the phone...and she told me that when she was in the shower that morning her girls had escaped when the dog got out and walked themselves to the park. She couldn't find them....she even called the cops. She's also had Animal Protection called on her several times and gotten several tickets for her cat and her dogs getting out. She had to go to court last week....this is all to say, she doesn't keep very good track of anything or anyone she is responsible for.)

The girls all have a great time together, all day every day playing everything imaginable. 90% of their time is spent in either my house, or my yard. I don't mind. Those girls obviously feel more comfortable playing at my house or in my yard where they don't have to be concerned with getting a footprint on the floor, or leaving a plate on a table. I am preparing, however, to start asking for money for my babysitting services, or perhaps claiming them on next years taxes. I do, after all, feed them lunch and snacks half the time. They, in fact, feel so comfortable with us and our family that the younger of the two girls actually refer to my parents as Grandma and Grandpa. What does that tell ya??

Every now and then, once dinner time and bed time rolls around, I do begin to get a little frustrated wondering if their parents are ever going to retrieve their offspring, or if they even care. Should I draw a bath for these girls? Should I set them a place at our dinner table? Should I find the sleeping bags?? It can get a little hard when I'm trying to fix dinner and I have 10 little feet underneath me asking for food, or whatever other question happens to cross the mind of a child that age. Eventually, the door bell does ring. They do remember they have kids! Miracle of all miracles! Then the cycle begins the next morning. It's all good. Until "neighbor of the year" (that would be me) sticks her size 7.5 foot in her mouth in an unsuspecting moment:

It was two nights ago. It was 7:00. Dinner had come and gone. The girls were still at our house. Feisty was unbelievably cranky and tired. I wanted her to go to bed and was not having much success what with the chaos inhabiting my home. She wasn't havin' it. In a moment of frustration I walk down the stairs into the kitchen and express my frustration to hubby. "Are those kids ever going home?!" Hubby gets a look on his face and gestures towards the door (which can't be seen from the kitchen but is in close proximity). I hadn't heard the doorbell ring. Apparently, either Barbie or Ken had shown up and were picking up the girls and may or may not have heard my oh-so sweet comment. My heart immediately plunged in to the bowels of my stomach and I wanted to sink into the floor right at that moment.

I still don't know if Barbie and/or Ken heard my comment. But yesterday when their girls showed up at our house in their jammies, within minutes I heard Barbie yelling for them to come back home and they didn't come back the rest of the day. Who knows what today holds. I could just be paranoid. Maybe they didn't hear me, but I wouldn't doubt they did. I will feel so rotten if I ruined my kids' relationship with their friends because of one comment made out of frustration.

My foot isn't tasting too good right now!

(Fridays award will be awarded early next week. Haven't been too creative with the cooking this week. Been using old standbys because after the big bash on Saturday, I didn't have the energy or desire to be creative. So look for the award early next week. I know you are all sooo bummed.)

18 comments:

Rachelle said...

You know, I actually think it is something that mother needs to hear (if they did hear it). Those parents need to be parents. But yet it is nice the girls have somebody like you they can count on. It's a hard thing. I would definitely take the tax deduction!

Gina said...

Oh my heart sank too when you relayed what happened. I would go over and talk to them... put it out on the table if you don't hear from them within a few days. I see that you don't mind having them, but some responsibility needs to be on their parents' heads. I am sure you will work it out! Good luck!!!

Unknown said...

This problem hits mighty close to home for Beth. You two should chat.

I'm with Gina on the advice.

Mall Worker said...

I agree with Gina! I can't tell you how many times I've made a comment about people without realizing they were right there. Its the most awful feeling!

Anonymous said...

Surely they know how frustrating it is to have little kids underfoot. And I agree--they need to hear it. She probably pegged you as one of those people who never ever tire of having thousands of kids at your house.
It would be a good thing to sit down and let her know that she caught you at an exasperated moment... and while you love having the girls over, maybe cut it back to 3-4 hours a day... ?? I dunno. Better than having hurt feelings either way.
Here's something that should make you feel better...
A friend of mine told me of an experience ....
She was Junior class VP and her job in the mornings at school was to give the announcements. As they waited in the office for the principle to be done, she and the pres were gossiping about an experience that had recently happend....and my VP friend (who is soooo shy and never would intentionally hurt people's feelings)unloaded her hurt and frustration....before she realized she'd been leaning against the button to the loudspeaker at the school, the entire time she'd been talking about this girl. She felt awful...
soo....don't feel bad----it could always be worse! lol

GiBee said...

DOH!!! Well, I agree with Ginaginafofina ... first see if you hear from them ... maybe ask the kids why they haven't been coming over ... kids love to spill the beans ... innocently of course!

Then, just go on over and tell them you're so sorry for what you said the other day, and explain the problems you were having putting a cranky little Feisty to bed!

Oh, and I have a recipe for you to try out. It's a crock pot recipe ... easy-peasy, and I even include an EXTRA recipe for the leftovers (which you need to ration out BEFORE the croud jumps in and devours the roast!)... it's towards the bottom of my post from today... It may SOUND like your family won't like it, but they will Including the empanadas. Promise! (you'll have to double the recipe, though) Mexi-Flare Roast & Empanads

Unknown said...

I agree with talking with Barbie. (you know she LOVES the phone, but I guess in person would probably be better)
I feel for you here. Any one of us mothers could have made that comment in a moment of frustration. Go talk. It would be very sad if your daughters lost their playmates.

Momma G said...

Malibu Barbie should just hop back in her pink Corvette with her kids in tow...ps. I'm sending you the bread pudding recipe!!

Ashley said...

ooooohhhh...that's tough!! i hate that happened but maybe it is a good thing. i agree that you should talk to her b/c if she's that involved in the phone, etc. then she probably doesn't realize what's going on. i mean, if she goes to the gym and to tan and drops her kids off at the daycare, then why wouldn't she take advantage of the free daycare you're offering next door? also...barbie never seemed that smart to me :) good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out!

Diane Viere said...

Ouch! Life happens! We're just mere mortals stumbling through--trying to do our best.

But you know what--I'm certain those kids know by the volumes of care you have extended...that they are welcome. If "Barbie" gets hot headed about this--it's time for a wake-up call for the little doll!

Maybe by you talking with her--you will model a more beautiful trait--GRACE! She may not recognize it--cuz it usually doesn't come with PERFECT! Grace works with imperfections and brings beauty out of it.

If you don't already have a relationship with these parents it might be difficult to know whether they would understand just a momentary blip! Don't give it another thought! Your actions to these children speak louder than any nano-second of frustration!

Maybe the expression--"leave well enough alone" is appropriate. I respect which ever way you decide!

Diane

Papa said...

If it were me, I'd just let it ride. Chances are, once they've had a few day's to let think on it, they'll realize that maybe they should be a little more considerate, but will probably start letting the kids come over again, just not for so long all the time.

Oh, and by the way... if they don't know you blog, now is probably not a good time to let them know. I got a real chuckle out of your descriptions, but I'm thinking they might not.

Anonymous said...

i agree with rachelle! i love that you've been so gracious with the girls, and they feel so loved in your home, but perhaps their parents are taking advantage way too much of you guys. if they didn't feel as free to do that, they might get to know how great their girls are! (but really, your sweet spirit is wonderful!)

Gabriela said...

Been there. Done that. Luckily the people moved away!!! Perfect for my non-confrontional self.

Jane said...

Oh that is a hard one! I am sure Barbie will slip back into her lets have someone else raise my girls for me mode soon enough.

You have a big heart for doing all you do for them.

And LOL about now not being a good time to introduce them to blogging. I loved the way you described them.

Lei said...

Ugh, tough one. But, you shouldn't be taken advantage of that way! They needed to hear it - somehow. Unfortuantely, it came out the way it did because it had gone unresolved for so long. But, that is their consequence!

Grammy said...

I'm so sorry this happened (to you). Isn't it amazing how we can be loving and sweet and kind and then wreck it all in a moment? Don't worry. It will not last forever. things will get better.

Perri said...

You have surely been a blessing to those two girls. Yours is probably the only normal family life they have. I hope it blows over for their sake. The difference you will make in their lives will probably never be known to you - but it will be there.

If a few days pass and you don't see them, I would go talk to her and lay it all out - that you miss them and value the time your girls spend with them. Then maybe see if she wants to contribute to your grocery budget!

We had a kid like this in our neighborhood growing up. She literally lived at our house - to the point my dad bought her first car for her - but if she didn't have us, she would not have had a family life at all.

God will certainly bless your efforts.

This is my first comment - and I think the longest one I've ever posted anyway. It must have really spoke to me to write all this.

Elozia Marie said...

Oh man! It's an awful feeling when you say something you didn't mean to be heard. BUT, Barbie & Ken need to learn responsable parenting as well! I would probably wait a couple days, then invite the girls over if they haven't been back. Let Barbie know that "my kids take naps at ____, or my DH is home at ____, would you like us to walk the girls home then? Put a timeframe on things, and it might be less stressful. How nice that your dds have such wonderful playmates though!