Mar 22, 2006

The Fab Five!

Well, Amanda's comment in my earlier post today made me start to reminisce about the old days. Yeah, the old days. Early to late 80's. Were those the good old days or what?? When I was a kid I was lucky enough to live in the same town with a couple of different sets of cousins. Every summer, my mom would go away to a conference for a week and leave my brother and I with our cousins and they would come stay with us for a week while their mom went out of town. Let's just say, we had quite the imaginations. We enjoyed various activities together; most of them included all five of us playing together. Sometimes the girls would go off and separate themselves from the boys, but most of the time we were one big group. One game in particular that we enjoyed playing involved re-creating our parents and aunts and uncles lives as children. My cousin's mom and my mom were sisters, and they had three brothers; a family of five children. There were five of us cousins; 2 girls and 3 boys. Perfect for the re-enactment. For the sake of anonymity I will refer to the adults that we were imitating as "D", "V", "B", "DS" & "R". I, of course being the eldest, played the role of my mom "D" who was the eldest sibling. Cousin Julie played the role of her mom "V". Chad played "B" , my brother Kevin played "DS" and Luke played "R". We acted out in little games imagining what life would have been like as our parents and enjoyed embellishing on the stories we had heard our parents tell about themselves (and our aunts and uncles at various family reunions, etc.) Since of course they lived in the sixties mainly, we dressed ourselves up in what we felt was appropriate 60's attire....down to the sweaty armpits and geeky glasses. Chad even dotted his face with pen pimples. And here we are: The Fab Five in all our glory:
thefabfive

Of course those weren't the only games we played. Julie and I thoroughly enjoyed busting out the "ghetto blaster", blaring Tiffany tunes and making our own hip choreography to it. Throughout the neighborhood could be heard blaring the ultra hip song "He Was Just Seventeen" and cars passing along on the street were treated to our awkward pre-teen and admittedly GEEKY dancing! But those days, we were too cool for words!

There was one particular and rather disgusting game Julie & I enjoyed for some sick reason. I won't go into much detail except to say there was flatulance and a tape recorder. Hey, what can I say? We were kids. These things fascinated us. Why? I don't know.

Sherry, ask Luke sometime about "Leonard the Strong Boy". And Amanda, ask Chad sometime about being "Alan" the boy all the girls wanted. Yes. That was fun. That game also included some more cousins: Karen and The Queen. Those were some good times. We also used to create skits in an effort to get our parents to buy Little Caesar's Pizza for dinner. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Not that the whole blog world cares to hear of the utterly idiotic games me and my cousins played when we were young, but it sure fun to remember the days.
**********
One more thought before my day comes to an end. I know I've had a lot to say, but bear with me. I don't talk a lot about my job. It's my job; a means to an end; a way to keep me and my family out of the poor house. Most of the time I enjoy my job. But let me just say that today my job is DRIVING ME NUTS. I work at a large University in the Admissions Office as an admissions counselor. Today, the people I'm helping are (to put it nicely) CRAZY. How many times can the same question be asked and in how many ways? How many times can I answer the same question and in how many ways? I'm a robot today. I could answer these questions in my sleep. I keep willing the phone to quit ringing, but alas that little blinky light on my giganto phone keeps blinking letting me know that when I hang up with this caller, there are yet a thousand more waiting in the queue to ask the same question the previous person asked. See the smoke comin' out of my ears? Cuz I can feel it! Ugh. I'm about to take my thousand pound phone and throw it out my window. At least that way I'd get some air in this stuffy building. For cryin' out loud! How's a person supposed to blog? (Although based on my blogging today you'd think I had all the time in the world.) Nope folks. Not today. This has all been done on lunch and break today. I'm ready to go home. Yep. Can't wait. Thank the Lord I get a reprieve tomorrow! I'm done. In the words of Ryan Seacrest: "This is Kristen. Out."

7 comments:

GiBee said...

Oh, my goodness, Kristen! My girl friends and I used to stand on top of a raised cement drainage thing on the side of our soccer field at school (elementary school in the 70's) and dance to the Hustle, Sat Night Fever, and yes... Copa Cabana... Ah, yes ... the memories. Weren't we so cool then?

Thanks for the flashback!

Lei said...

Lol, Kristen you are so cute! I love that picture! Priceless.

Amanda said...

Great memories- I made Chad come and look at the picture- " We were crazy kids" he says rolling his eyes and going back to the t.v.! I only had one cousin that I knew and played with- what a blessing that you all had each other!

Rachelle said...

I love the pic! And you took me back to my childhood and memories. Thank you for that.

someone else said...

Well, now Kristen, shall I post the picture of you and Karen with the makeup and hair thing?

Kristen said...

Hmmm, Becky. What picture would that be? Post away, I say! :-) Our hair was great in those days!!

Sherry said...

he makes me so proud=)