Mar 8, 2006

Stuff for Wednesday

Well, yesterday was like spring; today is like winter. So much for the spring cleaning. Today I'm sure my carpets and tile will be dirtied for sure with winter boots charging in. Oh, well. I knew it would happen; I was just hoping it wouldn't. I live in a crazy place.

Normally, I don't like to post pictures of my kids, but I can't resist today. The other day, we were at my mom's house using her computer (because as well all know I haven't yet moved into the 21st century and purchased one). Fiesty loves to sit on the computer chair and pretend she's typing. Her little fingers move across the keyboard at lightning speed and every once in awhile she'll move her hand over to the mouse and click away. If I didn't know better, I'd think she really knew what she was typing. Here's a message I received from her today at work. She writes me daily:

dsfjlsdfjg;lgktfkjfjkjkyrlsdngddmf

'dddddddddddddddd


Of course, this message is filed in my "NEVER DELETE OR RISK PENALTY OF SERIOUS INJURY" folder.

Care Bear wears glasses; she has an eye condition called "Amblyopia" which is basically "lazy eye". She may or may not have to wear glasses for the rest of her life. But I digress. Fiesty, having to do everything her big sister does likes to go around sporting the round, blue glasses that came in Care Bear's "Junior Doctor Kit" she got for Christmas, just so she can be like her cool older sister. Care Bear likes to tell her, "When you get older, maybe you can wear glasses, too." Anyway, this day while using the computer, sporting her ultra cool glasses, we were able to get some shots. And I present to you: FIESTY!!

    Without the glasses:
    Olivia at computer

    With the glasses:
    Olivia at computer in glasses


So, there she is. My little secretary. Following in Mommy's footsteps.

One more thing: Tell me if this makes me a horrible mother (in this case step-mother) or not. Yoda is in 2nd grade. He just turned eight last month. I feel that at this point, having been in school for 3 years now, that he should have learned some sense of responsibility and accountability. Am I right? Last night, at 5:45, he informs me his showcase at school is that night and he is supposed to be there at 6:15. There will be a musical performance and art show. Ya huh, is my response. And how long have you known about this? And why haven't I gotten any notes about it? And why haven't you mentioned it at some point before 1/2 hour prior to said event?! He didn't have a good answer. It is at this point that I raid his backpack. I look in his backpack everynight for important things such as this and have never seen anything. I've also found it odd that he never has homework. When I raided his backpack I found a folder stuffed to the seams with notes, homework papers, and other things that I should have seen weeks prior to this. Should I be going in with him every day afterschool to make sure I am getting what I need lest I don't look like a horrible parent to his teachers who notice I don't make it to important events, or should I have this be a lesson to him in responsibility? It's a tough call. And very frustrating. The kid is doing horribly in school and it's no suprise considering he brings his homework home once every three weeks. Ugh. Maybe eight years old is too young to be expecting this sort of sense of responsibility. I don't know. I'm new at this.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Your girl is cute! And teaching a kid responsibility is important. I think putting it back on his shoulder's is important. I've seen parents who never do. He needs to learn it now or you'll be babysitting him in junior high. Trust me. I deal with kids like that.

Unknown said...

Maybe you could work out something with his teacher so that she's aware of the situation as well as a reward/consequence system at home with Yoda when he does/doesn't bring home what he is supposed to.

Oh that Feisty! What a cutie pie!

someone else said...

Kristen, the pictures are darling! Can't wait to see them in person in July.