Jan 25, 2007

And I Said She Wasn't a Cuddler

Feisty is a lover girl. She hugs like a champ, kisses like a butterfly and the "I love you's" flow like honey from her lips. But when it comes to going to sleep, she needs her space. She takes after her mama in that aspect.

Feisty is not a good sleeper. I've alluded to that in several previous posts. The child has just recently begun sleeping 8-10 hour stretches at a time. But getting her to sleep is a challenge every single night. I do every little thing that has been suggested in every parenting book, every Sunday School class and from "pro parents", but not a whole lot works with her. Tonight was nothing new.

She and I were laying down together watching Boz and was making every effort to calm her down. She would wiggle one way, then wiggle the other. She would ask for milk; ask for cereal; try to persuade me to put together puzzles. I finally got her to settle down enough to lay down and concentrate on Boz and relaxing. Every now and then I would coax her to close her eyes. Eventually she cuddled up right next to me, touched my face, told me, "I love you, Mommy" and closed her eyes. After a few short moments, her little arm cradled my neck and within minutes she was asleep.

My neck is still warm from her sweet little arm resting on it. She's now softly and sweetly sleeping in her room and I can go to sleep happy because my baby, who is no longer a baby, treated me to a sleepy time cuddle tonight.

Sleep well, my love.

11 comments:

Lei said...

I love sleepy time cuddles! You're lucky to get them at this age. Seems like my kids want nothing to do with me by age 2... at least in that respect!

Dawn said...

The thing I love the most is when she says, "Thank you, Grandma," for everything I do for her. She's precious!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

What a sweet precious mama/daughter memory, Kristen. Enjoy these times. As she gets older they'll probably be farther between and even more precious to you.

Barb said...

Diane's right. Enjoy these moments now. They do become scarce later. What a sweet post.

TJ said...

how sweet...makes me wish my kids were little once again...sigh!!!
:-D

Lala's world said...

oh I love those kind of cuddles, my youngest is like that too and I get lots of cuddles every morning...I treasure those times

someone else said...

I can just smell the sweetness of sleepy warmth!!

mamashine said...

mmmm. such sweet times. :)

By the way, go you! Looks like you're a multiple nominee- I saw you listed in at least four categories.

Susie said...

There's nothing like holding a precious little one as they go to sleep. Such complete trust.
Treasure these moments!
:)

Unknown said...

That is so sweet!
I'm sorry you have such a hard time getting Feisty to sleep.

Gina said...

Oh that is so so sweet!

I love Boz!