Jan 5, 2007

Care Bear Scare

Things have slowed down substantially at work, and I'm on break, so I have a little time this morning.

Yesterday I had a not so little scare with my precious Care Bear. Lately, we have been concerned that maybe she has a hearing problem. She turns the TV up very loud, doesn't seem to hear us when we holler at her (that could be attributed to her being in her own little world...I don't know) and it's started to concern us. I had been contemplating with the idea of taking her to get her hearing tested. When I looked in her ear yesterday and saw what I thought was dirt, but ended up being dried up blood, I hustled her to the doctor as fast as my little old car could carry us. ( I had already planned on taking her to the doc yesterday anyway due to the fact that she woke up in the middle of the night complaining of her bottom burning). I had the doctor check both things.

Her urine sample came back normal...not showing any signs of infection, and when he looked in her ear he didn't see any signs of blood in her inner ear. The burning he attributed to the fact that she loves to soak in bubble baths....no more bubble baths for Care Bear. And the blood in her ear he narrowed down to the fact that she does have some inflammation in her tubes and probably scratched the surface of her ear because it's bugging her. He prescribed some drops to take down the inflammation and referred us to a hearing doctor if after two weeks the drops don't improve her hearing. While I'm relieved that her ear isn't bleeding internally, I am concerned about her hearing. I'm hoping by all hope that these drops work. She already has eye problems. She doesn't need hearing problems on top of it. My poor baby. I'm wondering if these two issues could be why she's throwing more temper tantrums as of late. She just doesn't feel quite right.

Thanks to my mom for putting the prayer request out there about Care Bear on her blog yesterday since I couldn't do it. I appreciate those who read it and prayed for her. Continue to do so until I know her hearing is OK.

We're getting more snow here today. I fully expected to hear news that the U was closed again, but we're here. I got stuck twice in the snow on my street on my way here and was half hour late. I'm nervous about driving home in the dark at the end of the day. Icy roads+Dark=Treacherous driving for Kristen.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

Glad you got Care Bear in to see the Doctor so quickly. Ear aches can be just murder. Hope the inflammation is the cause of her hearing loss. I will pray for her. You kids are sooo cute. It is so hard when little ones don't feel good. Take care Kristen, drive carefully and it will be okay. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't have to stay home today - hope they manage to clean the roads up for your drive home!

Sherry said...

good to know about bubble baths, who would have thought? hope she's feeling better quickly, nothing worse than a hurting baby. Miss you guys!

TJ said...

praying for Carebear and (((hugs))) to you!!
:-D

Lala's world said...

I hope all goes well with her ears now! and your move to a new desk! hang in there!!

kpjara said...

I'll pray for Care Bear about her ears and overall well being!

Sorry to hear about the work situation...desk sharing = less than fun times!

Trisha said...

I hope that her ears get better soon. I am just throwing something out there, but do you think it might be allergies? Both of my kids would pull and tug at their ears, scratching until they bleed. The doctor pu the oldest on allergy medicine and he hasn't done it since. Just an idea- the doctor also mentioned teething (in your case, probably not) and eczema in the ear).