Jan 10, 2007

Where I Was Then...Part 2

Part 1 can be read here.

As the summer continued, and the days got closer to packing up and moving hundreds of miles away from the only home I had every known, fear began to set in. At the time, I didn't realize that it was fear. I continued to maintain the illusion of excitement over "flying the coop". Over the course of the summer, I had gone from weighing about 125 lbs (a very healthy weight for someone who is 5 feet 5 inches tall) to weighing around 100 lbs by the end of the summer. My diet consisted of salads with a single tablespoon of fat free Italian dressing (which counted as 5 optional calories) and baby carrots for snack. I would frequent the grocery store almost every day to get a 2 lb bag of baby carrots and munch on those when the need to eat something hit me. After leaving the grocery store, I would go through the Drive-Thru at McDonalds and buy a large Diet Coke. It was the middle of the summer, yet I was cold all of the time. I can specifically remember one instance when I was going to the grocery store where I felt like I was in a daze; I was dressed in very baggy jeans (that two months ago had been too tight) and a sweatshirt and I still felt cold.

My friendships began to suffer. I no longer communicated with any of my friends from high school. Something within me had lost the ability to enjoy life and just be. Every day activities made me nervous and stressed out. I was most comfortable sitting at home watching TV and the clock counting down the hours until the next meal time arrived. Would it be something I could tolerate? Would the meal "calculate" within what I was still allotted for the day? I filled myself up on diet soda because it made me feel "full" yet it wasn't giving me any dreaded calories or fat.

Finally, the time came to pack up and leave for college. I remember one Sunday morning sitting in church with my mom and a feeling of great anxiety and depression overcame me. I wrote my mom a note that said something like, "I have been excited for college for so long. I feel like I should be excited, but I just feel depressed." I couldn't grasp why I was feeling this way. I wanted to be excited so badly. But all I felt was sa black cloud hanging over my head.

The day arrived to leave for school. The drive was about 12 hours. I don't remember much about the drive out there, except for the fact that when you're on the road, there aren't many options for eating except stopping at fast-food restaurants. Suffice it to say, at this point, fast food was not an option for me. Unless I wanted a salad. But the only type of "safe salads" you can get a fast food restaurant are side salads, and even then, they didn't have the right type of dressing.

When I arrived at school, orientation involved all sorts of "getting to know you" activities. I got right in there and put myself out there and made some friends right away. I was bound and determined to make this work for me. My roommate situation wasn't ideal. I spent most of my time I had made with girls from other floors. I got right in there, and did my best to be brave when my parents left me and headed back home.

The cafeteria at school was not fun for me. I stuck to half sandwiches with tiny amounts of meat, or cereal. I wasn't able to use my scales to see how much meat I was eating, or see the calorie count on the bread I was consuming. So rather than risk that I was eating more than I should, I quit going to the cafeteria.

Within about two weeks of arriving at college, I got very ill. I had no energy and I couldn't concentrate. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. My grandmother, who lived just a few blocks from campus took me to the doctor, and after some blood tests it was determined that I had mono. Arrangements were made for my parents to come back and pick me up and take me home immediately. I was torn. I desperately wanted to go home where I felt safe and secure again, but at the same time, I felt like a failure for not being able to do what all of the other 18 year olds were doing; succeeding and having fun at college. I so badly wanted to stay and feel "normal" again. But I had to go home.

My dad came and picked me up. The day I left school was bittersweet. Even if I did get to come back later, would it be the same? Everyone else will have already made friends. I would be behind. Could I come back recovered and still have the great college experience I so longed for?

The remainder of the semester, I spent most of the time laying on the couch at my parent's house. They began the task of nursing me back to health. They got in touch with a well-known nutritionist in our area and I began seeing her once or twice a week. My mom asked me to trust her and let her prepare things for me to eat and trust that she wouldn't give me anything that made me fat. I told her that I would try, but when the first morning I was home she gave me an English muffin with peanut butter and honey on it, I panicked. That was two breads, two proteins, two fats and my entire allottment of optional calories for the day. That one little breakfast contained everything I allowed myself for the day at that point. How was I going to do this?!

It was difficult being back home for me; not only because of the failure I felt I was, but because it was blatantly obvious that my brother was not thrilled at the prospect. He was a junior in high school and I'm fairly confident was happy to be the only child for awhile. Not to mention that my parents were investing so much of their time and effort on me. I sometimes have blamed myself for the path he went down due to my illness.

As fall and winter came, I began to regain some health. My nutritionist told me that if I was able to gain to 110 lbs by the end of the semester, she would feel comfortable allowing me to go back to school second semester. I actually even got a part time job at TCBY after I had recovered from mono. It was in my plans to go back in January. And I did. But there was more difficulty to come....

Part 3 Tomorrow

12 comments:

Dawn said...

I am in tears as I read this. I am hearing things I've never know, even with all we went through together. I'm glad you're doing this, even if you and I are the only ones who benefit. I should write my side, shouldn't I?

Pamela said...

Kristen, it is a very sad story, and unfortunately one many young women and some men suffer from...anorexia.

Eating disorders are all about wanting control of one's own life. Sadly you hit it right on the head, you suddenly find yourself out of control.

People with this disorder don't see themselves as others see them. They just see the imperfections. To me, a healthy woman is a woman with a figure! It's sad to see anyone who is obsessed with weight.

My philosophy is everything in moderation. Love yourself! Let that little inner light shine!

How are you doing now? Do you feel you have totally recuperated from it or do you live with it every day still. Thanks for sharing your story, you will no doubt bless others by sharing your very personal story. I really admire you Kristen, you are such an inspiration!

Sema said...

I am glad you are at the point where you can talk about this part of your past openly. I am sure it is not easy. But the good news is, you overcame this disease and in so doing, overcame the enemy whose intentions were to destroy your precious life. I am learning a lot about your past, and you in general my dear SIL, through this blogging gig.

Sherry said...

I really benefit from hearing about this. I think I was borderline anorexic when my family moved from California to Kansas. I enjoy hearing about your journey, especially knowing how it came out on the other end.

Mall Worker said...

I'm so glad you are sharing this. I'm looking forward to reading part 3

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Kristen - it is so great that you are writing your story!!! Please keep writing it - I want to hear what happened next.

I came from a neighbourhood where eating disorders were quite common. I have been friends with and worked with numerous girls with anorexia. I have also had to battle my own temptations to obsess over my weight and diet.

Keep writing girl!

Lala's world said...

I am just so amazed at how vulnerable you are allowing yourself to be, there is freedom in that and I believe freedom for others who are going thru the same thing you overcame!

Karla Porter Archer said...

Kristen -- I popped over from 5 Min. blog.

I suffered from bulimia for years. I had serious control issues. I've considered writing about it before, but always stopped, for fear that it was something to keep off-line. But I think you've lead me to move forward with it. I've been so transparent in so many other areas. This should be no different.

Thank you and blessings,
Karla

Tina said...

Kristin,
I linked from 5 min blog also... I am intriqued by your story! I have a daughter in college (now a sophomore) and another one heading to college this coming fall... it's amazing that so many people underestimate the pressure of a college student - a completely different pressure than high school.
I can't wait to hear the rest. The fact that you are now writing is testimony that the end is positive!

Anonymous said...

This is a great thing you and your Mom are doing. I look forward to the rest of the story.

I left a comment for your Mom about her post about Weight Watchers. I had to get away from that organization. I felt on the verge of an eating disorder myself. I've always had a weight problem. Once I got to my goal weight, I started telling myself that if a size 10 looks good, why not try for an 8, then a 6. One day I realized how unhealthy physically and emotionally I was making myself. I'm right at my goal weight and think I look pretty darn good. I can maintain it easily and don't need those horrid meetings to do it.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Your story is sad, yet riveting. We know you have a good out come (thank God). I knew a few girls in school who could tell this same story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Nice post.
I came across a good natural weight loss plan while doing research on the internet. To check it out go to Healthy Weight Loss