Jan 11, 2007

Where I Was Then...The Road To Remuda

Before I start this installment, I just wanted to say "thanks" to those for commenting on my "poor me" post just below. I really wasn't trying to sound like I was feeling sorry for myself, although it probably ended up sounding that way. Regardless, thanks for "de-lurking" and for all the nice, re-affirming comments you left. And thanks to Janice at 5 Minutes For Mom for linking to this series and to Diane for letting Janice know about it.
*******************************************************************************************
After being given the "OK" by my nutritionist to give college a second shot, we once again packed up my belongings and headed south to Oklahoma. I was filled with fear and trepidation wondering if I would succeed this time, or if I once again would end up coming home with another failed semester under my belt. Yes, I had gained the weight that my nutritionist had required of me; I had spent several months back at home healing and relaxing. But how would I feel once my parents left me again and were hundreds of miles away from me?

I had high hopes for the semester. I had a new roommate; one I had met and become acquainted with in the two weeks I was there before; I had a few friends I had made that were anxious to have me return.

Within about two weeks of being there, I discovered that my new roommate appeared to be using me as a "learning tool" on how to become skinny. She asked me for tips, constantly ate my "safe foods" (I had gotten to the point where I quit obsessively counted the optional calories and would allow myself once in a while to partake in a Snackwells cookie or two without counting the extra clories) and began self-induced vomiting. This obviously was not a healthy environment for me to be in while I was attempting to succeed and become healthy.

I eventually got permission from the school to move out of the dormitories and move in for the remainder of the semester with my grandparents who lived only blocks away from campus. I rarely participated in any of the activities at school and after moving away from campus, found it even more difficult to do so and the motivation to try wasn't there. Although it appeared like I was going to complete the semester, my heart wasn't in it. I began communicating with my life long best friend who was going to the Nazarene College in Olathe, Kansas. I even drove out there by myself for a weekend visit with her and became acquainted with some of her friends and even met a guy. Guys had been the last thing on my mind for quite some time needless to say, so the fact that I felt interest and he seemed to as well made me feel somewhat "alive" again. As well, being with someone who was extremely familiar to me was also a comfort. By the end of my semester, I had decided that I was going to leave my current college and go out to Kansas the following school year to room with my best friend.

I don't recall much about the summer following my freshman year of college, which must be a good thing because it means that I wasn't going through anything terribly memorable. I do know that I continued to see my nutritionist throughout the summer, although with less frequency than I had before.

When the summer was over, and I packed up to go to school in Kansas this time, I had a completely different feeling. It was one of excitement and anticipation. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I would be rooming with someone I knew my whole life. There was familiarity and comfort in that fact for me. She knew me better than anyone else in my life, probably, besides my parents.

We enjoyed a great first semester together. We were inseparable. We went shopping, to Tippins restaurant to eat cornbread and chicken noodle soup; to the St. Louis Bread Factory to eat their bread bowl soup. We loved to go to movies and pick up a bag of Jelly Bellies to eat during the movie. We taped Days Of Our Lives during the day and watched it together in the evening before we retired faithfully every night at 10:00 (we were rather nerdy college students....I mean, who EVER goes to bed at 10:00 pm in college....we did!) One particularly snowy weekend around Christmas, we sat in our beds all day looking at our homey little Christmas decorated room and cross-stitched. I have very great memories of that semester with her.

Over Christmas vacation, my best friend and college roommate got engaged to her long-time boyfriend. The plan was for them to get married in the summer after that school year was over. While I was happy for her, all of a sudden I felt insecure again. This would mean that I would no longer be able to have her as a roommate. While I didn't realize it at the time, my fall back into losing weight and unhealthy eating was due to my uncertainties of the following school year; not having her as my comfort.

Over the course of the 2nd semseter, I began to rapidly lose weight again. I would come home in the evenings from classes and after work and eat half a can of chicken noodle soup. I would save the rest for the next night. I would have a couple of pretzels or animal crackers throughout the day and that was all. I began to rapidly lose weight again. My roommate was unaware of my eating habits because she worked in the evenings at a car dealership. She was, however, noticing the rapid loss of weight. She began asking me what I had for dinner that evening. Sometimes I would tell her I went to the cafeteria, sometimes I would tell her I went out to get something. Other times I would tell the truth. I didn't want to be harassed about how and what I was eating.

Eventually, my employers at the orthopedic surgeons office I worked for began to notice the weight loss as well. Word got back to my parents and they began to research what should be done for me. I don't remember how they found Remuda Ranch , but through their research, they decided this was where I was going to go. I had to go through a lengthy interview process with the admissions staff there; I had to be evaluated by a nutritionist, a doctor and a psychiatrist to determine if Remuda was the right fit for me. And it was. I was set to be a bridesmaid in my roommates wedding on June 10 of that year, and the following Monday, I would be leaving for Arizona and entering into the best thing that ever happened to me....

Part 4: At Remuda Tomorrow



Visit my mom if you are interested in reading this story from a mother's point of view.


18 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Dear Kristen...first of all, Happy New Year to you and yours!! I've just caught up with your last few posts and my heart really goes out to you for what you had to go through. Of course I've heard of anorexia and have read stories about it but have never known anyone who suffered from it....reading your own story has made me realize what a real disease it is and how easily it can take over ones life. I was agoraphobic for 11 years (fear of going outside) so I know what it's like to have no control of your mind or body...it's not something you wish on anybody else. You are a true inspiration, showing how you overcame anorexia! May I link you on my blog about the story...I think others should be educated about this!! Much love xoxo

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Good job, Kristen. I'm looking forward to the next installment. :-)

Unknown said...

Hey you,
I just caught up on reading all of your series. I usually read through bloglines but happened to click over here directly and saw all this. I guess your feed is not, um, feeding on my bloglines. I'm so sorry!

It's interesting to read this. I knew things weren't well but I didn't know the extent. I don't know that you and I ever really, truly discussed what you were going through at the time. For that I am sorry.

Linda said...

Hi Kristen, I'm so sorry I haven't been here before today. My bloglines did not do what it is supposed to do. I didn't think you had written anything. I thought perhaps you were busy with getting back to work and all. I'm sorry.
These are amazing posts. As I told your Mom, I believe the Lord will use them in a very special way. I'm so glad I know the end of the story. Those were very difficult days for all of you.

Mall Worker said...

Kristen, I'm so glad that you are sharing your story.

Sherry said...

I didn't realize how close you and "roommate" were. I think it is so cool how long you've known her. I'm anxious to hear the next part.

Unknown said...

I think it's great that you are telling us about this part of your life. I hope it is benefiting you as well.

Thanks for the offer on the baby girl clothes. Since I already have 3 girls and my neihbor had a girl in June, I will have girl clothes overflowing in the dresser and closet and everywhere else! Thanks for being so generous, though :-)

Yay on getting a computer at home!

Cheryl said...

Pooey...I just lost my comment.

Anyway...what you have posted will be freeing to someone out there.

Look at the beauty in your life now..and I seriously somehow missed the Mother/Daughter connection. Where have I been?

By the way...if you want help with the picture thing, just let me know...

Anonymous said...

Wow, this brings back memories--it's really interesting to read it from your perspective now. I remember watching and feeling so helpless. Thanks for letting us revisit your story with you. You have a great way of communicating on your blog. Love you, Kristen!

Julie

Looney Mom™ said...

I just got caught up on your last couple of posts on this subject. I've been MIA from blogland for a while. I'm reading your mom's too. I admire your bravery to post such personal accounts of your life. I'll be back for more.

Susie said...

Hi Kristen,
I'm here from your Mom's. I left a comment earlier, but blogger apparently sent it whirling off into cyberspace. Just wanted to say I'm so impressed by your telling this very important story. So many young girls today could truly learn valuable lessons from what you've written..
hugs!

Barb said...

This is one time I hope there are hundreds of lurkers out there reading your post, Kristen. This is amazing. I said this on the last installment but I'll say it again. You can't imagine how much I admire you for doing this.

And you and your mom should both win some kind of award for writing. Unbelievable how well you are both presenting this.

Oh, that awful roommate. My daughter had one just like her in her freshman year and we were beyond ourselves with worry that this "dream roommate" was sooo messed up. How awful that you had to deal with her when you already had so much to deal with.

I'm like everyone else. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the Remuda post.

Rachel said...

this is such an insightful read. once again, i think you're very brave for sharing this with everybody.

Tina said...

thank you for sharing... I'm checking every day to hear the rest....

kpjara said...

I am so thankful you're sharing this story...it rings true for so many and while mine was OVEReating emotionally...I can totally relate! I still have dealt with my own 'food issues'.

Thank you...truly!

kpjara said...

uhm...make that comment above...have NOT dealt with my 'food issues'...slipsy!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I can only say thanks again for sharing your story. I sure their are those lurking that are finding it helpful. I'm going to pop over now and read your mom's side. God Bless you and I'll be back for the next installment.

Pamela said...

Kristen, I love the dust you are stirring up with this one. It is so amazing to read your very personal and heartfelt story.

Hard to imagine what this must have been like to go through in the college, when really they were like the blind leading the blind in some cases. Your story is very powerful and I hope it reaches out to someone who in struggling with it right now. However, it also has served to alert all of us to be aware of what to look for so that we might help someone close to us one day, if need be.