Jan 22, 2007

My Life Monday

Rachelle has brought back My Life Monday. Yipeeee!! The subject this week is "Where I Live and How I Got Here."

I've lived in the same state my entire life, save a year or two away at school and a few months stay in Arizona. Other than that, I've remained close to home.

When I finally moved out of my parents house for good at age 22, I lived in various different apartments with various roommates in the same state, but in a different town than where I grew up. After I met my husband, we initially lived in a town-home in the city where I work, but once Feisty was born we decided that with three kids we simply had to find a place to live that ideally had a backyard and a garage and was in a family friendly neighborhood. So, the search began.

Shortly after we began looking, we were down visiting my parents one evening when lo and behold....we discovered a house on their street was available for rent. My husband jumped right on it and contacted the landlord. Before I knew it, the lease was signed and we were moving in. The house was just what we envisioned for ourselves: Three bedrooms, a nice yard--fenced backyard--in a cul-de-sac and with a garage. What's more? It is three doors down from where my parents live.

We have lived here for 2.5 years now and our children love it. They have friends in the neighborhood, they pop on down to grandma and grandpa's when ever the urge hits them and they feel at home; which is the most important thing of all.

There are downfalls to living 3 doors down from your parents, but in my opinion, the good far outweighs the negative. My kids are walking in the same footsteps I did as a kid; playing in the same parks and going to the same schools. Pretty cool if you ask me.

8 comments:

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

What a wonderful heritage for your sweet kiddos! Isn't it funny how we get where we are?

someone else said...

How lovely to pass on the heritage and memories.

Diane Viere said...

Kristen,

What a great heritage to give to your children....and to yourself! Our daughter and her new hubby live only 1 mile away from us--and we enjoy every visit and moment they are with us. They chose their new condo specifially close by--which makes me feel good--they want to be as close as we enjoy them!

Grandparents can make such a positive difference in the life of a youngster--and how they bless their grandparents!

I like this My Life Monday--I've already posted my Monday post...maybe I'll do something like this next Monday.

Diane

Rachelle said...

What a great story. Living close to the grandparents sure is nice for the kids. thanks so much for participating!

Mall Worker said...

I think that has to be great for your kids to be so close to Grandma and Grandpa.

Carole Burant said...

I really enjoyed learning how you came to live where you are today...I just didn't realize you were 3 doors down from your parents! I figured you lived nearby since she babysits at times but not that close! lol Isn't it funny how we sometimes come right back full circle. Hugs xox

Jane said...

Hi,

I agree- your kids are lucky to be able to have so much time and acess to their grandparents. And your parents are lucky too! I also agree with you that Justin would be wise to consider Reese! She is sweet, pretty and classy! Ryan was such a fool!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize you lived so close to your parents. I'm sure it does have it's ups and downs, but how neat for your children to have their grandparents so close!