Jan 23, 2007

The One Where I Have to Adjust---Again

Not too long ago, my Mom approached me with the idea of switching our schedules around. For those of you who may not know, my mom watches my kids when I work, which is 2.5 days a week. She asked me if there was a chance we could switch to doing half days every day saying that she feels it would be easier on her to watch them 5 half days a week as opposed to 2 full days and a half day. Initially, I didn't think this was going to fly with my office; part time jobs are few and far between and we had just arranged schedules with a fairly new person in the office, which was the reason I was uprooted not too long ago.

Surprise, surprise, my boss said she thought we could make it work. The catch being: I'll probably have to switch desks--again. No biggie....I'm used to it by now.

By the time my Mom got the go ahead from her peeps, I had plenty of time to think about this change. It's going to be a big adjustment, and if it weren't for my mom's "mental health" (no, my kids aren't insane....they haven't turned her schizo....but they are a handful), I think I would be backing out of this deal. Here are the cons:
  • I will no longer...never again (after Thursday)....get an entire day alone with my daughters.
  • I will no longer get to take Care Bear to pre-school.
  • I will have to drive to my office (15 miles away) every day.
  • I will no longer have the afternoon to myself with Feisty while Care Bear and Anakin are at school.
  • I will no longer get to lounge in my jammies and fluffy socks til mid-afternoon or whenever the urge hits me to practice some personal hygiene.
  • I can no longer procrastinate on doing laundry or dishes until mid-afternoon or whenever the urge hits me to practice good housekeeping skills.

I love taking Care Bear to school. I love seeing her go in to her classroom with excitement and anticipation of what the day is going to hold for her. I love watching her turn her name over on the "Who's Here" board. I love her excited face and ginormous hug when I come to pick her up. I like seeing the other moms.

I love having the afternoon with Feisty. She thrives on alone time with mama. It's rare that it happens and she takes full advantage of it...or rather me....and Care Bear's toys.

I love just being there two days a week with them. I wish I could be a full time stay at home mom and this will make me feel more like a part time mom.

This is by no means an effort to make my mom feel bad for desiring to change the schedule and it is be no means a guilt trip. My mom watches them for me out of the goodness of her heart...for free...and for that I am indebted to her indefinitely. I understand her need for good mental health. I'm just processing my thoughts on the whole thing and trying to make peace with this newest of changes in my life before it occurs next Monday. So in light of that, here are the "pros" of the change:

  • I will get some adult time and conversation every day.
  • When Care Bear goes to Kindergarten next year (*sob* this will be the subject of a very sappy post in the near future) I will get to take her every morning which with the current schedule would not have been possible.
  • I don't have to witness their teary faces and death grips on my neck and legs when I leave them at the crack of dawn anymore (on those two full days).
  • I will no longer have to set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. (just cuz I don't set the electronic alarm, however doesn't mean that my human alarms won't awake me at that time.)
  • I will get to see them some of the day every day.
  • I will get to take them to story time at the library on Fridays, which my mom has always done and I have always wanted to do but couldn't because I work(ed) on Friday mornings.

So starting next Monday, I will be reporting to duty every day at 12:30 sharp. Or 12:32 or 12:35 in some anonymous desk that is yet to be determined.....and in the meantime, I will enjoy my one (1) remaining full day with them on Thursday. Feel sorry for me; feel happy for my mom.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hm. Yeah, those are some very sad cons. I would have to agree with you there.

But you do what you have to do and your girls are lucky to share their day with both you and their grandmother. Those are some pretty love-filled places to be.

I'm sorry you have to make so many changes, though. I hope it goes smoothly. :)

Dawn said...

Wow. I had no idea. I have discovered some cons as well. It's too late to change, though, so we'll adjust. The biggest pro for the girls is not having to say good-bye to you in the morning, which seems to be harder than the afternoon. I'll miss story time at the library! I won't like driving every day and using more gas. But I will like not being so exhausted by 3:00 in the afternoon that my back aches.

someone else said...

Honey, that's a plateful for sure, but you can do it. The little ones will probably benefit from the change as well, as time goes by. They really need the connection with someone other than Mommy sometimes. I'm glad you at least have the opportunity to work part time. I don't know if I could have coped with full time when my girls were little, but I know that being with other adults every day when I was part time was soooo healthy. Hang in there! You're a great mommy and a strong woman.

Carole Burant said...

Change is never easy and there are always pros and cons no matter what. Try it for a while this way and who knows, you might like it better:-) As for your mom, we get to a certain age that taking care of children, for a full day, is just too much. I know that I couldn't do it anymore. Good luck to both of you and hopefully it works out!! Hugs xox

Linda said...

I completely agree with Pea, change is never easy. I, for one, am not overly fond of it. However, I think in the longrun this will all work out. You have a very sweet Mom. I am not nearly the dedicated Grandma she is. You are so blessed to have her. It's going to be fine.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

good for you for focusing on the positives!! and no more 6am!! wooohoo!

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

All the best to all of you as you make this adjustment.

Diane Viere said...

It is a very tough job: balancing work with home. You are doing a great job of it--for that you should be proud.

I hate change myself--so can empathize your dilemma. What is up with all the desk-changing though! That is just too odd!

Love your wisdom as you think through this process. And, I am grateful that your children have such a loving daycare provider.....no one is better than a Grandma.....if Mom can't be there.

Good luck! Keep thinking positively about this...who was it that said, "Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% your response to it" You've got this one down!

Diane

And here's another question??????Why won't blogger let me sign in on this comment using my new blogger account! GRRRRR! So, I'm anonymous again today....but it's me!

Diane
www.prayingforaprodigal.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Don't you hate having to make these kind of decisions. I know it was just hard for me going back full time and now picking our son up from school and taking him for an icecream or snak...no school parties...ick. Hope you get it worked out!

Mall Worker said...

Those are some sad cons. Though it sounds like it'll work out. I hope that it does.

Rachelle said...

It's so hard working and being a mom. Good luck with the new job. It will all work out.

Lala's world said...

I don't have daycare arranged yet for Faith but then I haven't been able to get a job yet so....it is hard to find good daycare and there is no one better than gramma to do the job! so ya it is hard being gone everyday but you sound like a balanced person and it will work out just fine for all of you!

ashli said...

Hope the new schedule is going good!