Jan 17, 2007

Better Late Than Never....

That's what I always say. I guess I say that. Anyway, remember this post? Where I divulged that nasty habit that I have? That I've had off and on for 11 years now? And then remember when I invited you all to my blog on January 2, 2007 to help me ring in the New Year cigarette free? Well, when I realized that I was not yet quite mentally prepared for that, I deleted that post with the invitation. On January 2nd, I noticed my numbers on Site Meter were pretty high for the day. "Why?", I said to myself. And then, "Oh yeah....they think I'm quitting today. My bad." And then I figured you were probably all mad at me. Big talk, Kristen. Yeah, I know. Never post something like that for all of bloggity-ville to read unless you're truly prepared to follow through. Ugh.


So, here I am. It's January 17th, 2007. I just ran out of cigarettes. I don't have any cash on me. I have an entire day to go through here at work. I have the patch sitting in my desk drawer. I suppose I should, as they say, just bite the bullet. I haven't really mentally prepared myself for this today, but I suppose there's no time like the present; especially since I don't really want to borrow money from anyone to go buy more cigarettes. That's just tacky.


I'm not quite sure how this is going to go. So, here's what I'm going to do:
  • Dig that patch out of my desk drawer
  • Put it on my arm
  • Take lots of deep breaths
  • Think of my childrens' beautiful faces
  • Chew gum
  • Eat munchies
  • Take walks
  • Play a game of Candy Land with my kids if the urge to smoke strikes
  • Think of my childrens' beautiful faces
  • Think of my childrens' beautiful faces
  • Think of my childrens' beautiful faces

And we'll see how it goes. One step at a time. Hey, if I can beat anorexia, surely I can beat this, right? I hope.

So, here goes. Wish me luck. And the patch is on....

20 comments:

someone else said...

Good luck! You can do this. We all believe in you.

Anonymous said...

One day (or hour) at a time! You can do it!!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

My Mom and sister quit after smoking more than 40 years each, Kristen. Cold turkey, both of them. I smoked for about a year when I was 21 and quit them the same way, but I don't think I was truly hooked. I never missed them or had any withdrawals at all.

You can do this, girl! Just think about what you can spend that money on that you used to spend on cigarettes, and how much healthier you'll be for yourself and for your kids.

Stay strong, Kristen. You can beat this!

Diane Viere said...

Kristen,

After reading Angie's post today, I can only say: "What a great way to honor this day: This day of renewal!"

January 17th.....the day of new beginnings, the day of promptings that make a difference, the day of renewal. It's perfect timing Kristen! We are all pulling for you--and want you to know that we know what a great effort this is. Giving up a habit is not easy--giving up a habit that has a physical addiction that calls one back to it.....is tough. Remove this idol from your sight, Kristen, make room in your vision for future and promised blessings!

It's perfect timing Kristen!

Diane

Anonymous said...

When you are ready for the change, and it looks like you are; it will happen. We are all routing for you!!!!!

SIL-Angie

Dawn said...

PTL!! This is indeed a great day to start your new life, the anniversary of Kev starting his new life. What a great day for our family. You know I am there! Think of those beautiful faces.
Think of those beautiful faces.
Think of those beautiful faces!!

brooke said...

way to go! That is one of the hardest things you can ever do! I'm rooting for you!

ashli said...

Best of Luck to you Kristen! I too am so ashamed to admit it, but you were brave and did it first so here it goes, I too am a smoker on and off for the past 12 years or so. and OMG it's the hardest thing in the world to stop!!!! I am going to try hypnotism, it's 500 bucks though sooo.....i feel like am losing a friend in quitting, how twisted is that? But my poor girls, I feel like I am being selfish, the whole thing totally sucks! So good luck girl, I'll be thinking of you!

Sonny said...

"You can get it if you really want, you can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try..."

I keep my fingers crossed!
Hugs,
Sonny

Anonymous said...

I use this movie quote whenever I have to just shut up and do something. Grip it and rip it! I smoked for about 10 years. I finally decided it was time to give it up when my kids atrted learning about the dangers of smoking at school and they asked me to quit. How can you say no to that? So, whenever I started to think about lighting up, I just pictured Kevin Costner at his FINEST saying Grip it and rip. in other words, stop thinking about it and do what you need to do. Silly? Yes. Did it help? Yes!

Good luck!

Unknown said...

You can do this. You really can. You have more reasons to quit than to keep smoking. I'm rooting for you all the way!!!

Carole Burant said...

The very best of luck to you dear Kristen and as you said, if you can beat anorexia you can beat cigarette addiction! It will be a different type of battle but you're very strong...you've proven that. If you don't succeed, at least you tried...that's what is important! Hugs xoxo

Rachelle said...

Good luck! You can do it! I know it will be hard, but I also know you are strong!

Tammy said...

I have never smoked, but had a dad and a grandmother who did so I know the battles they faced. They were Christians, too, but they failed a few times in trying to quit. But they finally did.
You can do it, Kristen! :D

Thanks for stopping by today!
(By the way, love the Glamour Shot pic below! So gorgeous!
I had one done right before I got married- it was so much fun!)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good luck! Glad you just decided to start today. You can do it.

Linda said...

I'm praying for you Kristen. You can do this - with Jesus' help. And I'm going to try to stop eating so much junk.
I love your glamour shot - just beautiful.

Rachel said...

you can do it! i'm sure you can! :)

kpjara said...

When I quit (due to constant cost increases...NOT because I wanted to...) It was a moment by moment thing...and I prayed...aLOT!

If you do it this time or the next or the next...you CAN do it.

One thing that helped me was seeing those nasty pictures of lungs infected with all the tar from cigerettes...and sadly seeing my uncle die of lung cancer within a year. It was horrible.

I'll be praying with you!

Cheryl said...

My husband was a pharmaceutical rep when Habitrol was launched. When he was going through the training one comment they made was that basically people have to first make up their minds to quit, then the patches are just a help with that decision.

I like what you said about you thinking about your children's cute little faces. You can do it cause greater is He who is in you than he that is in the world!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome, Kristen! Someone told me they used cinnamon sticks whey they were quitting because it was something to hold on to and put in their mouth, which seemed to help the urge. Might be a ridiculous idea, it just went through my mind as I read your post.