Mar 21, 2007

Celebrity News by Kristen--American Idol Edition #3

Volume 1: Issue 9
Doing My Part to Keep Bloggy World Informed

**Disclaimer: I have nothing personally against any celebrities mentioned in "Celebrity News by Kristen". It is only for fun and only opinions. Please do not sue me.

So here we are at the final 11 contestants. I thought I'd do something a little different this week and post my opinions about the show pre results and then just do a little post either tomorrow or Friday after we learn the results. So without further ado....

HALEY SCARNATO

I found Simon's comment about Haley being a "naughty little girl" humorous because Haley's performance last night was definitely not in her typical fashion. I thought it was pretty good, actually, and seemed to redeem her a little bit after last week's debacle. While she still does not remain one of my favorites and while I believe her time in the top is very limited, I think she will be "safe" this week and get to tour this summer with the top 10.


CHRIS RICHARDSON

Chris, Chris, Chris....I'm just not sure quite what to think of you. I slated you early on as one of my favorites, but I've changed my mind a couple of times since then. I'm back and forth with you. You chose a more "mellow" song this week to prove that you can actually sing and not just jump around the stage like a chicken with your head cut off. I have to disagree heartily with the judges that this was your best performance yet. I actually prefer your ADHD like performances rather than this more mellow ones because I believe those camouflage your extremely nasal voice. Dude. You were nasally. How the "expert" judges did not hear that is beyond me. I have no doubt you'll still go through, but take it from me; stick to jumping around. At least then there's some focus beyond your voice.


STEPHANIE EDWARDS

No offense, Steph....but I'm just not a fan. Nothing personal. I think you have a decent voice, but to me it's just not memorable. I don't think that the songs you choose are good. Granted, the past two weeks the "themes" you have had to work with have been less than desirable. However, your competition is far exceeding you. I also think you will remain for another week, but as the numbers get smaller, the less your chance of remaining in the competition will be. Did not like the performance last night.

BLAKE LEWIS
Still my favorite male contestant. I absolutely love that he puts his own spin on everything he does. My guess is that Blake has to struggle from losing his lunch every week when the theme is announced. Must be hard for him to be singing Diana Ross and songs from the 60s. He is very apparently a current kind of guy. In ten years, he'll put a current spin on the music of today. Guarantee it. What can I say? I like him. I want him to be in the finals. But I never get my way, so.....I'm sure he won't be. Just because he's unlucky enough for me to have picked him as my favorite. Poor guy.

GINA GLOCKSEN
Gina, Gina, Bo-Bina, Bananafana Fo-Fina, Me My Mo-Mina....GINA! Well, the judges were less than complimentary towards her last night. Hmmm....they're just a bunch of sour grapes. Whatever. She rocks. Literally. Gina, you can read my blog, because I Love You. Keep rockin', girl. You'll be there next week. And so it will be.

PHIL STACEY
Yeah. I have a feeling that Phil may be in the same situation as last week...in the bottom three. If Sanjaya's luck keeps up, he could even be the one to go home. Not that I would be particularly happy about that. I sincerely like the guy. I have since the auditions. Mainly because in the auditions we saw him holding his brand new baby girl for the first time and missed the birth of his baby to be at the audition. Who couldn't pull for a guy like that? I mean, if he had to miss the birth of his baby, the least we can do is put him through to the top 10 so he can tour for cryin' out loud. But this week was not really good for him. I'm crossing my fingers for you, dude. But I'm worried for you, too.


LAKISHA JONES
Eh. Didn't like it. But she'll be safe. She has nothing to worry about. She'll be back next week.....and the next.....and the next.....(unless she suffers a fate like Mandisa last year during dreaded country week....).


CHRIS SLIGH
Feisty's reaction to Chris when she saw him? "What is that hair on the TV??" I was laughing so hard I almost missed the whole performance. I did catch that he mingled with the crowd, and seemed on tune for the most part. I like the guy. But I have to agree with Feisty. Something needs to be done about the hair. I know he can't do anything about the curli-ness of it, but maybe tone it down a little a la Timberlake? Remember the fro that dude used to sport? But maybe he shouldn't touch it. There is a fan base out there called the "Fro Patrol".....He won't be in the bottom three this week.

JORDIN SPARKS
I like Jordin. She's cute. She's perky. She's got talent out the wazoo for a 17 year old. She fully deserves to be where she is and will definitely be around next week. I don't see her winning the whole thing, but she'll be around for awhile longer. But while I like her cuteness and perkiness, I think maybe she now and then should show a little more edge. Maybe just a teeny bit more.

SANJAYA MALAKAR
Please don't laugh at me. I thought Sanjaya was cute this week. He was trying so hard. If nothing else, you gotta give the guy props for taking the judges words to heart and doing what they suggested he do. I thought his performance this week was OK. But more than that he was really trying, looked like was having fun and how cute was he to go give that girl in the audience who was a blubbering mess a hug? Yay Sanjaya. I would say, despite that, that you'll be gone this week, but you must carry a three leafed clover in your pocket or something. So all I'll say is that I'm sure you'll be in the bottom three.

And last, but most definitely not least....

MELINDA DOLITTLE

Well, there's no one in the world who can deny that Melinda is talented. No one in America can deny that she will make it to the finals (would be my guess). She's fantastic. Great voice, great presence, great personality. (Although, she could start acting like she deserves to be there and not so surprised whenever she receives applause). I still want one of the "not so predictable" contestants to win it, but Melinda does have the right stuff. Unless pigs learn to fly overnight, she'll be around next week.
So, there it is. I'm done with this re-cap. In review, I believe the bottom three will be:

--Sanjaya
--Phil
--Stephanie

What do you think? There's a poll. Vote. If you want!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Anybody that Simon thinks can't possibly be as nice as she seems, must be really something. I have loved Melinda from the first audition appearance. She is great. Don't like Gina AT ALL. I really like Phil, but see the writing on the wall. As Boomama says, please let Sanjaya go home!!

I've never seen anything like that little girl who sobbed through the whole performance of everyone.

Haley's outfit was disgusting - obviously taped or glued to her skin to prevent a wardrobe malfunction.

Karen said...

I really think Jordin has a chance for the whole ball of wax... she is definitely the most marketable of the top 3 girls, don'cha think?

Funny you should mention how Melinda needs to quit looking so surprised. This past weekend, E's "Soup" had a hilarious spot called "The Melinda Doolittle School of Humility". I about died laughing. I'll be posting a link to the clip at my place tomorrow or Friday.

If one of the guys somehow managed to take the title, it would have to be Blake or Sligh Dog. I totally agree that Blake did a great job last night. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

someone else said...

Pretty good assessment, Kristen. I'm with you on most of it. My bottom three for this week are Sanjaya, Phil and Gina. I've had enough of all three of them. I think Stephanie has reached her peak, unless she surprises us pretty soon. I thought Haley was pretty foxy last night. She really is pretty, but not a strong enough singer to last much longer.

It's Melinda for me!

Pfingston said...

I am so bummed that I don't get that here in MX! I have to wait until my brother buys the year's best and worst and then we borrow it! LOL

Carole Burant said...

I don't watch American Idol but after reading your reviews on what's been happening, You're making me wish I was watching it! lol xox

justjuls said...

I don't watch AI - but sometimes I just HAVE to go and see clips on YouTube. This was a neat list.
I am visiting some blogs to try and put the word out about my first contest -
http://jewlsntexas.blogspot.com/2007/03/contest-for-all-bloggers.html
Would you help put the word out for me?