Mar 28, 2007

You Mean I Shouldn't Put Worms There?!

I haven't spoken of the "Blondies" in quite awhile. If you don't recall hearing previous stories of the Blondies and their parents who I not-so-affectionately refer to as "Barbie and Ken", you can find their stories under my label "Barbie and Ken" on the sidebar.

The Blondies have been scarce for quite awhile. Partly due to weather and holidays, partly due to Barbie having them off and about to places they probably shouldn't have to be. But the weather is getting nice and Barbie seems to be sticking closer to the homefront lately, so the Blondies have been showing up again.

The Blondies are sweet girls. Sweet, cute and for the most part, polite. But they've been through some pretty wierd stuff in the last year or so. Mike and I have noticed changes here and there in their personalities and in their manners since they've been coming around again. They are not quite as polite. They seem quieter, and not quite as happy and free as they used to be. Sometimes I wonder if Blondie 2 even knows how to talk. You say something to her and she just stares at you with a "duh" sort of look on her face.

I'm happy the Blondies have come around again for my girls' sake in that they have someone to play with. However, I'm starting to wonder how good an influence they are on my girls. Nothing inappropriate is done when the girls are playing together. But Care Bear seems to forget every rule and manner she's ever learned when the Blondies are around.

For instance; when those girls are at my house, within a matter of minutes, my house looks like it was hit by four very small, yet very strong tornadoes. When they are asked to clean the mess up, the tornadoes suddenly disappear very quickly and I am left with the aftermath.

This past weekend, we got a lot of rain around here. It was nice. The grass is starting to look like green, velvet carpet. But when I walked out of the house the first time after the rain, my nose burned with the pungent aroma of worms. They were everywhere. I.Hate.Worms. I think they are one of the most disgusting creatures the good Lord ever created. And what is with gummy worms?? Why on earth would anyone ever want to eat a candied version of that nasty, vile creature??

I digress. Blondie 1 has always been fascinated by bugs. Of every kind. Worms, apparently, are not excluded from her fascination. Saturday, Blondie 1 and Care Bear came running into the house. Care Bear was flush with excitement.

Care Bear: "Mommy, Mommy!! Can I have a pet worm? I found a worm and I want to keep it."

Me: "No, Care Bear. You absolutely can not have a pet worm."

Care Bear: "But I could keep it in a bowl in my room."

Me: "NO."

Care Bear: "Oh, OK".

She and Blondie 1 ran upstairs. I went about my business. A feeling of dread all of a sudden washed over me. That was way too easy. Care Bear never gives up that easily. They ran up those stairs awfully quick. And Blondie 1 has been known to bring her frogs and other creatures into my house. Crap!

Me: "CARE BEAR! You don't have a worm in the house do you??"

C.B. "No."

Me: "Are you sure?"

C.B. "Yes."

Me: "Where did you put the worms you said you caught?"

C.B. "They're in my coat pocket."

I suddenly felt like I was moving in slow motion looking for that coat with the offensive creatures living in the pocket. With the coat located, I picked it up with my thumb and index finger and tossed the coat out into the rain. It still sits there. Most likely with dead shriveled worms in the pocket. Sorry, but I don't do worms.

For future reference, Care Bear: Don't follow Blondie 1's lead when it comes to bugs. And no....worms do not under any circumstances, belong there. Or anywhere except in their holes in the dirt.

I'll get you a new coat soon.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Poor little Blondies. I feel so sorry for them! Barbie wasted no time getting into the least clothing possible when the sun came out and hit all of 60 degrees! They are really neglected little waifs in an upper middle class home.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I can't believe Dawn didn't volunteer to evict the worms and wash that coat! Waste not, want not...LOL! ;D

I guess this is a bad time to tell you that as they get bigger, the critters they bring home get bigger and badder, too. :-)

Dawn said...

I'll wash it. We will not throw it away!

Anonymous said...

Many children put creepy crawly things in their special hiding places. My mother says I used to hide grasshoppers in the wheelwell of my bigwheel when I was just yea high, and supposedly I turned out just fine.

Of course, she also tells everyone that I used to eat the grasshoppers, and she saves the stories for when friends of mine are around - so - you have to take them with a grain of salt.

But worms in the pocket? Maybe she's just trying to create a biomass recycling center in your house. Maybe she'll grow up to be an environmental scientists who solves our waste and power problems!

It's all about thinking positive.