Mar 22, 2007

Harry Potter?

Recently, Anakin has found a new hobby: Reading! I do have to say that I heartily approve of this new habit of his. It's been like pulling teeth to get the kid do sit down to do his reading for his monthly reading calendar for school. But all of a sudden, he likes to read. Instead of sit at the computer; instead of parking his rear in front of the TV, and instead of tearing around the house like a wild monkey. It's pleasant. His literary masterpiece of choice? Harry Potter.

In recent months (and in some cases, recent days) two of my cousins have insisted to me that I absolutely must read the Harry Potter series. Book seven (the last, apparently) is coming out this summer. And according to Nick, if I don't read the first six before book seven comes out, I won't know what's going on in the world. I certainly do not want that to be the case. So, I'm pondering.

To say that Anakin and I don't have a lot in common is an understatement. To say that we've had our rough patches over the past few years is an even larger understatement. Within a very short time span, he has begun reading H.P., and I'm being bugged relentlessly by my cousins to read H.P. Hmmmm.....maybe I should pick one or two....or six....up. We would have a common ground on something. And I would have something to read.

But here's the thing:

Fantasy is not typically a genre I enjoy. Give me a good mystery (or just plain wierd books) like Stephen King, Dean Koontz or Tami Hoag) and I'm good to go. Throw in a fluffy romance novel in every now and then and that's great. But fantasy? I just don't know. According to some people, you don't necessarily have to enjoy fantasy to immerse yourself in these stories.

It would give Anakin and I something to enjoy together, and me something to read, but I'd like some input. Any of my readers out there read the series? And if so, do you typically enjoy these types of books? Are they they kinds of books that someone like me (someone who likes enjoyable books, but that are somewhat easy to follow) would enjoy?

Input, please! And Allison, if you have the books, can I borrow the first one? :-)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I strongly recommend you read these books for a couple of reasons. One, I'm a teacher. It has become so rare to see kids enjoying reading that I encourage it whenever possible. Two, this would wonderful for your relationship with Anakin. Having this common interest would give you something to talk about that is just for pleasure. No hidden agendas. And three, they're just fun!

The audio version are fantastically done as well. My husband and I have enjoyed them in the car on long trips. They make the time just zoom by.

brooke said...

Ok. The books are awesome. you know that. go read them. get them from the library!

Traci said...

I love Stephen King and I love Harry Potter! I don't really consider HP as fantasy so much as just a really good book that takes place in a magical place! I can't wait until my boys are old enough so they can read them. (I just hope they want too!)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog a couple days ago and already I feel compelled to comment. :)

I have the same reading taste as you do - King, Koontz etc. I don't read fantasy. I don't read science fiction.

I read the Harry Potter books when there were only 3 and I could not put them down. They are just really GOOD stories that appeal to most everyone.

I can't see through a quick glance of your site how old your son is, but consider that books 4 5 and 6 are like 500+ pages and it may take some time to get trhough them before 7 comes out in July! :)

Carole Burant said...

My oldest son Shawn was given the series of Harry Potter books a couple of years ago as a gift...he's always been an avid reader and like you, prefers to read books by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, etc....he said when he started reading the first Harry Potter book, he was hooked! He loved them all!! So yes, do read them and share these wonderful books with Anakin:-) xox

Unknown said...

I wouldn't consider these books "fantasy". When I think of fantasy I think of stuff like "A Wrinkle in Time" or something.

I am an avid reader of the HP series. I devour them.

My suggestion?
Even if you don't think it's something you prefer, read them on your own and read them with him so you can help him process what's going on.

The books become darker and more mature as Harry grows older. Just because Harry is growing and maturing doesn't mean the readers are. Some of the content as Harry is a teenager could be a bit heavy for a child Anakin's age.

Just a thought.

Karen said...

Looks like most everyone else has the same opinion I do of HP. It certainly won't hurt to give it a try! And I wholeheartedly recommend the audiobooks, too. Jim Dale does an absolutely FAN-TAB-U-LOUS job of voicing all the characters. Sometimes listening to him read the books is even better than watching the movies.

Oh, and I'm another Koontz fan. Not so much King anymore, although I'm giving Lisey's Story a try because I've heard good things about it.

Rachel said...

i absolutely love these books. love them completely. i wouldn't consider them fantasy either - i think they're kind of hard to classify. it's a whole other world that you can disappear into. all i can say is READ THEM! :)

mamashine said...

Oh yes. You must read them, for all the reasons mentioned already. They're SO GOOD. I'll tell you, I converted my husband to a fan as well, and we've gone to the store at midnight for the last two books and read them out loud together. :)

I used to teach and I have 18 of the first book sitting in a box, along with the audio cassettes. Want them? I'll send you a few copies and the tapes if you give me your address.

someone else said...

I haven't read them and don't particularly care much for fantasy or time travel books/movies (I did love Lion,Witch,Wardrobe, though), but I'd agree with my Karen. Read them with him so that you can help him process and understand what may be too far out there for a child to think through on his own.

How wonderful to have discovered something that may be an important link in your relationship with him. It could result in real-life "magic"!

Deena Peterson said...

I avoided HP like the plague, until my son begged me to check out book #1 and see what it was like so he could read it (that's the way it works at my house)...so I did...I was HOOKED!!!

They are SO entertaining, and have such GREAT life lessons in them...and JKR creates such a "magical" world...you just get hooked, I tell you...

But begin now...they are lengthy (which I personally LOVE)...and #7 comes out mid-July...just in time for my birthday!!!

Lei said...

My daughter wants to start reading them (she's almost 8). I thinkr ather than read them separately though, we'll read them together. I think I will enjoy them more if I actually do it with her.

Unknown said...

I love the Harry Potter books!...and I'm not typically a fantasy book fan. I highly recommend you start reading right away :-)