Mar 13, 2007

Woman to Woman: In This Skin

woman to woman

My fabulous aunt Morning Glory and my fabulous blogging friend Lei have teamed up together to start a new bi-weekly blogging series entitled: "Woman to Woman". Every other week, a new topic will be introduced and we are to write on the topic for that week. There are two buttons to choose from to add to your sidebar or in your post and there will be a Mr. Linky on both of their blogs to link to your post for that week. For details, go to their blogs. This weeks topic: "In This Skin".



In This Skin

I am 32 years old. By most standards, that would not be considered "old". I don't consider it old, but I am definitely "aging". Aging is a difficult concept for me. I still remember my high school days like they were yesterday. I look at myself now as an "in her thirties" woman with three children, a husband and a "real job" and I often wonder to myself, "Where has the time gone?!"

I work in the Admissions office at a very large state University. Every day I deal with and talk to students who are desiring to enter our school to further their education. A large amount of those students are graduating high school and will be entering as new freshman. Talking to these students every day is a large reality check on exactly how quickly I am aging and how quickly time is passing.

On my way home last night I realized that this May will be my 14th anniversary of graduating from high school. This means that the kids who are graduating in May were four when I graduated. That is Care Bear's age. Wow. Talk about a reality check.

On a daily basis, I don't think about the fact that I am getting older. I don't obsess about it regularly. But every now and then when I look in that mirror and see another wrinkle around my eyes, and the fact that my skin in general isn't as tight and smooth everywhere like it used to be, it becomes apparent to me that I'm not that 16 year old I once was.

You know that saying, "You're only as old as you feel"? (I'm not sure if that's exactly how the saying goes, but something to that effect). I truly believe it. There are days when I really do feel like I'm still a teenager. I feel young, free, alive and spirited. Especially when I am with my kids and watching them play and enjoy life. Then there are those days where I feel like I could be 80 years old. The weight of the world and the challenges I face make me feel like I've lived the longest life in the world and I should have many more wrinkles than actually show on my skin.

Obviously, aging is a natural part of life. If we weren't getting older, life wouldn't be moving. And I am truly grateful that I am not 16 years old again. You couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager again.

While aging brings a whole new crop of challenges in life, challenges we have never faced before, I wouldn't want to be in any other skin than my own. Truly I am not uncomfortable with aging. I don't know what the future holds for me as I continue to age and move from chapter to chapter in my life, but I embrace it and all that aging will bring to my life. I have a lot to look forward to as I continue to watch my children grow and age and become who they are in their skin.

So here's to life; to aging; and to being who I am, In My Skin!


signature 2

20 comments:

Tigersue said...

I love how you ended this topic with thoughts of your children. It was so nicely done.

Susie said...

Kristen,
I remember the challenges and feelings of being a young Mom. The future is filled with possibilities, challenges and joys!
Enjoy every step of the ride!!
Very enjoyable post!
:)

Dawn said...

Good job! And thanks for the kind words to me. It has been quite a ride for the two of us, hasn't it?

Lisa M. said...

Can I just say..

I love that my daughter is fifteen now. We have such a good time. I have loved watching her start to become the woman she will be.

This was a great read-

An Ordinary Mom said...

I, too, feel like high school was just yesterday when in reality it was 13 years ago!?! I am definitely glad I am not 16 anymore, although some days it would be nice to have more energy ... like on those days where I feel 80 :) !!

Remarkable post!

GiBee said...

I'm going to be 40 this year.

40.

This year.

Where has the time gone?

It feels like I was 32 just yesterday! Relish your days, Kristen!

Sherry said...

great post!

We'd love to have a park-date with you guys. That would be great! We'll get in on Tues night-the 27th. whatever works for you, works for me:)

Lei said...

It's true that you only feel as old as you think you are... I often find myself acting the age of whomever I am talking to. Does that make sense? Lol... whether it is my kids, or my babysitter, or my mother- in -law, I am able to adapt. I don't know if that is unique to be thirty-something, but I am enjoying beign able to relate to everyone aruond me.

Unknown said...

Great post! I wouldn't want to go back to being a teenager either. I'm enjoying my 30's...even with my aging body :-)

Tammy said...

Such a good post, Kristen! And 32...do you realize I was 32 on my wedding day??? You are still SO young.
But I do understand...when I complain about having a problem with being 44 (some numbers are just harder to deal with, I guess) my mom, who can't believe she's now 80, says.."44! Wow, how I wish I were 44 again..." I guess it's true when they say it's all relative. And how we need to make the most of each day we are given.
I hope to get in a better place about aging and begin doing this with a graceful spirit...as I told your wise aunt, I really need to let God start working on me in this area!
Sorry to ramble...but one more thing...your ending makes such a wonderful point, Kristen...we can look forward to watching our own children become who they are...and this tells me I need to hurry and feel more comfortable in my own skin and an example to them! ;)
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

You said it! I also look forward to watching my children grow and become who they are. And moving forward IS good! The only way I would go back is if I could do with the knowledge I have now. But even then...maybe not. :-)

Love your post!

Linda said...

Not too long ago my 83 year old mother said she doesn't feel any different on the inside than she did when she was a young woman. I know that's true. We are forever us - I think of it as God putting eternity in our souls. That wonderful part of us lives forever, and the body ages in spite of how we feel. And that's okay. I think you have a very wise attitude about aging Kristen. You are beautiful now, and you will be beautiful when you are 83. That's the way God made us.

someone else said...

Good thoughts, Sweetie. You have come through and triumphed in so many ways. I truly can see you moving through life with increasing confidence as the years go by.

Carole Burant said...

That was beautifully said, Kristen! I'm going to be 50 this year and in a way it scares me..I mean, that sounds so old! lol I remember my mom being that age!!! Aging is a natural occurance, though and no matter what we do to try to stop it, it happens. So, much easier to just accept the changes going on in our bodies! xox

Zoe said...

I am the same age as you . . . I couldn't have said it better!

Pfingston said...

This is one of the reasons it is good to smile, because it puts all the wrinkles in all the right places. :-)

jodifur said...

Just telling you to go check out Jodifur! I just linked to you as one of my favorite new found reads from the blog party.

Gabriela said...

Very nice post! We're the same age btw-at least for a couple of more months!

Diane Viere said...

What a great idea....I'm going to check this out!

Beautifully written, Kristen. In the words of my favorite philosopher (Popeye!), "I 'yam what I 'yam!"

:) diane

Pam said...

I absolutely LOVE everything in this post:)

And a big AMEN to NEVER having to be 16 again. Seriously, you could not pay me enough to be a teenager again. After all isn't that part of the reason we have kids? We get to see them do all that stuff we once did (hopefully they make wiser decisions, of course!) without any of the acne or school lunches!